Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB100N Forever Project - Electrical Upgrade Questions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chazzman_bm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:19 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: CB100N Forever Project - Electrical Upgrade Questions Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've been on the forum and just as long since I've picked up the work on my CB100N project. I posted a while ago with questions about upgrading the electrics and had some great feedback.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4742862#4742862

Rather than open an old post, it's probably best to start a new one. To recap, I have a heavily modified 1983 CB100N. The top end is now a mix of XR/L 185 cylinder/head components, the head has been ported and polished, I've got a performance camshaft, and a larger crank has been stuffed in the engine casings and I've got a big Mikuni carburettor waiting to go on.

I have upgraded the rear suspension and I am using heavier fork oil to get more feel from the front. The front disk brake has been upgraded to a hydraulic one because the original just plain sucked. Lastly, I've got wider wheels and tyres, mainly for looks but should help with handling as well.

So back to the topic. I want to upgrade the electrics to 12volt for better lighting and the ability to run an arduino controlled PDU to run the lights, indicators, etc. I want to bin the point and condensor and I am considering an EFI conversion using a Speeduino NO2C. The latter might not happen due to the layout of the stator and rotor assembly. We'll see though.

Anyway, onto my questions.
1) Is it possible to upgrade the CB100N stator to 3-phase? Does anyone do an upgrade kit or will I have to rewind the old one for 3-phase?
2) Someone said that an XL185 CDI ingnition could be a straight swap but given that it is a 6v setup, I'd rather do everything as 12v. So, I need a recommendation for a suitable supplier.

Now, many people would read this and simply say "WHY?". I get it but I say, why not? It's fun and I'm learning stuff. It makes no financial sense whatsoever and I don't think purists are going to shed a tear over ruining classic old CB100N. If this sort of thing offends you, well... it's my bike and I'll do what I like to it. Very Happy

Right. This has gone on long enough. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help.

Chazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Yes but you might be limited to 2 phase*,dunno, dunno/depends
2 dunno

I upgraded a 1975 Mobylette to 12v and AC-CDI ignition
so I doubt an old Honda would be harder and could be done
with pretty common off the shelf stuff

PICS of what you have or you're wasting all our time !!

plus a wiring diagram of the existing bike would help because if you don't understand what you have, you're not in the best place to do mods.

* 2 phase can be all you'll need if you run leds
3 phase if you want heated grips 100w halogen spots n shit

Chazzman_bm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so far.

Wiring diagram...?!?! You're full of jokes. Every bit of this build is bespoke so the old CB100N wiring diagram is a minimal source of reference at best. To be fair, it's not a crazy request and I am currently mapping that out as I consider everything I need. The Arduino will take care of the power circuits IF I can get it powered right, meaning IF I can upgrade the rotor/stator. I'm know very little about electronics but I am reading the Haynes Motorcycle Electrical Techbook now. .....and I'm good at asking questions.

As for the pics, if you're into seeing boxes of parts, then cool. Here's a pic of some of the pretty bits.

Sidenote, old school mobylettes are cool. I've had and modified many of those in my youth. I had a modified Motobecane 51v when I was in high school. 70cc Simonini kit, 192 Mallossi carburettor and reed box, ported and polished internals. With 13x44 sprockets, it did 63mph. Not bad for a glorified bicycle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes pretty, but 'chrome dont get you home'
its the stator I want to see.
Bespoke build? fine, but plan the work, work the plan as they say

Electrically I'd start with the core systems of charge and ignition
lights etc later they're easy.

Arduino PDU ? you mean power distribution unit?
Duino's are fun, been playing with them for yonks but
its a simple bike, so personally would see no benefit in making a simple process complicated.

Chazzman_bm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:21 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the engine in bits. I've just pulled this stuff out of storage so everything needs a proper cleanup.

On the left, you'll see the standard CB100N block head and carb, on the right, is the modified head, block and Mikuni carb. Obviously the bottom end is in the foreground, where you can see it's been opened up to fit the larger cylinder. Maybe not so obvious is the crankshaft which is definitely larger than standard.

The guys at BDK Race Engineering did all the work a VERY long time ago. I'm still impressed with their work.

Chazz

Chazzman_bm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:38 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Yes pretty, but 'chrome dont get you home'
its the stator I want to see.
Bespoke build? fine, but plan the work, work the plan as they say

Electrically I'd start with the core systems of charge and ignition
lights etc later they're easy.

Arduino PDU ? you mean power distribution unit?
Duino's are fun, been playing with them for yonks but
its a simple bike, so personally would see no benefit in making a simple process complicated.

Each to their own and all that I guess. ...but hey, I like the bling. Very Happy

Anyhoo, you're correct regarding planning. Note, this is the plan reset phase. You're also correct with starting with the core, hence the first question about the stator. I didn't get that you wanted to see a picture of it so here it is. It's a bog standard 2-wire CB100N stator. I hope the pictures help.

As for the arduino and PDU, yes I do indeed mean Power Distribution Unit. The benefit is really in learning so the more complex the better. It goes beyond sensible, so it's just something I want to do.

Cheers.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazzman_bm wrote:
Here's a picture of the engine in bits. I've just pulled this stuff out of storage so everything needs a proper cleanup.

On the left, you'll see the standard CB100N block head and carb, on the right, is the modified head, block and Mikuni carb. Obviously the bottom end is in the foreground, where you can see it's been opened up to fit the larger cylinder. Maybe not so obvious is the crankshaft which is definitely larger than standard.

The guys at BDK Race Engineering did all the work a VERY long time ago. I'm still impressed with their work.

Chazz

Obvoius and possibly daft question.. - why didn't you use the whole 185 motor?

Also the machined head hemi size diamter looks a lot smaller than the bore - unless the angles are deceiving..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Chazzman_bm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:46 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Chazzman_bm wrote:

Chazz

Obvoius and possibly daft question.. - why didn't you use the whole 185 motor?

Also the machined head hemi size diamter looks a lot smaller than the bore - unless the angles are deceiving..

It's not a daft question at all, my good man. I never had a donor bike so didn't have the whole engine. I just told the engine builder to max out the CB100N engine and that's what they did. Where I was living, the law stated that motorcycles could not be larger than 100cc. I've never been great at following rules so the engine got shipped to the UK, and back again. I had no access to performance or 185 parts at the time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two approaches I would hazard: a 12v DC system vs 12v AC.

For the former you're just running everything from the battery. Whack a simple 12v regulator on the stator and then you just need to rag the bike everywhere to have any hope of charging the battery. The 6v stator will start spitting out >12v but only at higher revs.

Pros: simple. Cons: best have the bike on a trickle charger all the time. Even then it might fail you on longer runs for want of electric energy.

"So you're saying I need to rewind the stator?" That would be better but then you might as well go the whole hog and run a mostly AC system i.e. the spark and headlamp. The battery / DC system is then more of an accessory to run just brake, indicators, USB charger, etc. i.e. you could kick the bike over with a flat battery...

...in theory. It's a small bike so you'd probably be fine but I've not had much luck with so-called "battery-less" systems on larger bikes.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty straight forward and easy to convert to 12v and DC CDI ignition

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if one of VAPES kits could be made to fit... Assuming that is you want to spend more on an ignition system than a CB100 is worth.

https://www.vape.eu/honda

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he went battery-less any Arduino stuff he tried to add would probably shit the bed. ( technical term)
They don't like it up em see?
A battery acts like a big smoothing cap so you only need a few components to regulate it down to a reasonably clean 5v for gadgets.

That 6 pole stator would probably do nicely for the basis of
a modest 3 phase charge system but should be enough to run led lights and a DC CDI ignition.

Chazzman_bm
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:38 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel, Thanks for the link but I think I am going to go down the rewiring route. You may have guessed already but this project is less about monetary value and more about learning as much as I can by doing stuf I don't know.

All of the challenges will be learning experiences that are for me, priceless. Rewiring a stator is not something I would have dreamt of doing but I am really looking forward to learning how to do it, and any other electrical challenges that I will face.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and WD Forte, I appreciate your advice. Now to get back to reading my book and finding a spool of copper wire for the stator.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated with everything.

Cheers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:14 - 03 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rewound my stator, I got the wire from CPC.
https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-leads-connectors/cable/cable-wire/hook-up-wire?st=enamelled+copper+wire

When you take the old one apart, pay close attention to the direction and number of the windings. Write it down.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1