Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermarket Beer Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Supermarket Beer Review Reply with quote

If you're anything like me you have a very sensitive criteria for selecting beers by which I mean "is it on special offer?" So let's hit the homogeneity of high street hooch head-on!

First up Mallow Laser Quest:

https://digitalcontent.api.tesco.com/v2/media/ghs/c06e8307-2097-490e-b2b4-c7a0eb656574/f8b82025-3b48-4a88-b196-e69b2c1119d2_1878726212.jpeg?h=320&w=320

"Marshmallow & Pineapple Hazy IPA" well that sounds disgusting Sick Given grapefruit vibes are a common theme with craft beers I suppose pineapple isn't a million miles away and here the "marshmallow" shaves of the rough edges rather than being a dominant flavour. Overall, not terrible.

And if IPA isn't your thing Thatchers Katy:

https://digitalcontent.api.tesco.com/v2/media/ghs/d527292e-30cd-43ac-8727-5a15b35253bd/0b2520f4-4fe7-4259-b2f8-1454525d73e0_337850771.jpeg?h=320&w=320

This one's more of a public service announcement. It's basic middle-of-the-road medium cider, goes down very nicely but watch out for the 7.4% Shocked

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah! poncy alko pops

Y No Ace lager?
Y no White Lightning?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fres.cloudinary.com%2Fratebeer%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fw_250%2Cc_limit%2Fbeer_19267.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c7886680a55b68776a73285a9733321fbabd2f2ce3e3473d2e07957c4c44418a&ipo=images https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/White_Lightning_bottle.png

Admittedly the Ace is an effeminate 3.4%
but the WL will have you squirting rusty water out yer arse in no time

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:38 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the typical West country drinker drinks.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41bW2Q8ew2L._AC_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronenbourg 1664 5%

Review - 'Gets me feeling a little pissed after about 5 cans, pretty cheap buzz, widely available, fits perfectly
in my crisper drawer in the fridge, cans are easy to stomp flat on recycling day to hide the scale of my drink
problem from the binman. 7/10'

https://www.unitedwines.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/WEBSITE-Kronenbourg.jpg

4 pints for 6 quid at the co-op which is my nearest shop, sometimes they have it in the fridge so pre chilled too,
which is always better than lobbing one in the freezer and then forgetting you did. It was a tiny bit cheaper
a few months ago at £5.65 for four. Slightly further away is Sainsburys petrol station who also keep it in the fridge
and it's £5.85 there. Ideal for those nights where you drink all the cold ones indoors and are prepared to risk your
licence to nip out in the car and grab another 4 that are ready to drink as soon as you get home. Laughing

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Well fair play, they've tidied up their product no end. Black Rat used to be bright opaque orange (like Sunny Delight), smelled like medicine, and 3 pints of it made my brother temporarily blind.

And if you're already drinking White Lightning, why not Super White Lightning? As a hardened cider drinking teenager with a stomach like a nuclear reactor vessel, I used to put away anything vaguely apple-based I could get my hands on (Barnstormer, Frosty Jacks, Olde English etc. etc.). But 2/3 of a can of SWL had me throwing up everything I'd eaten that day like the scene from The Exorcist. I wasn't even drunk. Put me off cider for life.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pretty much just drink spirits theses days. and occasionally girly Irish cream type drinks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off thread - sorry.. but little bro and I pressed 120 pints of apple juice three weeks ago - now fermenting nicely. I measured OG at a robust 1060.. Ready by Easter is the norm.

Cin Cin

WRT supermarket stuff, Most of the Aldi bottles are quite drinkable and absurdly priced at around £1.10 for 500ml.. Even the lager ain't bad but that's only for summer use IMHO.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 16:58 - 28 Nov 2022; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:35 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Orange black rat is one of the reasons why I rarely drink cider these days.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banks Bitter in Aldi is 89p a bottle (for a 500ml bottle too, not these 330ml "craft" sized tins/bottles). Yeah it's pretty ordinary brown beer, but it's perfectly drinkable. It'd be even better with a beer dildo.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Banks Bitter in Aldi is 89p a bottle (for a 500ml bottle too, not these 330ml "craft" sized tins/bottles). Yeah it's pretty ordinary brown beer, but it's perfectly drinkable. It'd be even better with a beer dildo.

I think I once worked out it's only marginally more expensive to buy Banks beer for the bottles rather than empty ones from the home brew shop.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I think I once worked out it's only marginally more expensive to buy Banks beer for the bottles rather than empty ones from the home brew shop.

When I used to be on the scrounge for bottles for homebrew I fortunately had a lot of colleagues who liked bottled real ale so used to get them to give me washed out empties and I’d give them the odd bottle filled with my beer in return

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 29 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
A100man wrote:

When I used to be on the scrounge for bottles for homebrew I fortunately had a lot of colleagues who liked bottled real ale so used to get them to give me washed out empties and I’d give them the odd bottle filled with my beer in return

I was right !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165407844891

So in effect = FREE BEER

with careful opening you could even re-use the crown corks, although even I'm not that mean. Thinking

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 30 Nov 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I was right !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165407844891

So in effect = FREE BEER

with careful opening you could even re-use the crown corks, although even I'm not that mean. Thinking

Business model for a boozy Christmas sorted; buy a bucketload of Banks Bitter from Aldi, get sloshed then sell the bottles on eBay and get most or all of your money back. Cool

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tinnies I drink Lidl 'Galereux'. £2.99 for 4 tins. To quote a review:

The sweetish malt is balanced by a stiff bitterness, and it finishes dry with some lingering herbal and grassy notes.

Feel: Light-medium in body with a crisp, standard carbonation.

Overall: Skunky aroma aside, Galereux is a basic, otherwise clean and well balanced Euro lager that matches its budget price point.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread is running I'm going to throw a curve ball in here and suggest that all Supermarket beer is too cheap and should be subject to a pub protection surcharge.

Since my formative years I'v seen the country's population explode while as the same time the pub population has collapsed . In fact I'd estimate that more than half the pubs I knew as s teenager are now shut. Those that remain open are clearly struggling.

In real termsI don't believe the price of a (pub) pint is massively different from 40 years ago, however 'off-sales' prices have plummeted and attracted the most pitiful of specimens the home drinker.

Kids now it appears drink a rake at home then piss off out at 9 or 10 for a last single pint. The only folk regularly in pubs around here are the old timers like me. This has a downward spiral effect since the few pub drinkers are being squeezed to keep the pubs afloat.

If we all went out as a community and supported our boozers by drinking 5 -10 pints every Friday/Saturday and another 4-6 on Sunday lunchtime the price would fall accordingly and the pubs would once again be a fun place to be.

So what would be the effect of charging an extra 50p/500ml? Galereux would be about 4.50 for four 440 ml cans but would taste sweeter knowing you are supporting your local and it would still be there as/when you decide you need a proper night out.

Thoughts?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thoughts?

I agree with your thinking, but as I am barred from my local, I am happy for the current licensee and his dappy wife to fail. Then they can put up the price of a tinnie... Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Since this thread is running I'm going to throw a curve ball in here and suggest that all Supermarket beer is too cheap and should be subject to a pub protection surcharge

Thoughts?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/9b/db/8c9bdb09d3a565705c6e00ef5e9b5c8a.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Since this thread is running I'm going to throw a curve ball in here and suggest that all Supermarket beer is too cheap and should be subject to a pub protection surcharge.

Slippery slope. What about the online shops destroying the retail bricks and mortar, start pumping costs up online? Fuck that. High streets, for the most part, are just dying as they have overheads, same with pubs. If pubs want to have overheads and charge, they can. Supermarkets eat that cost with ease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pubs need to run on a margin of 60~80% (probably more now) just to break even. Your corner shop might be around 30% and the supermarkets could go as low as 10%.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 02 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the smoking ban screwed the pubs.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
A100man wrote:

Slippery slope. What about the online shops destroying the retail bricks and mortar, start pumping costs up online? Fuck that. High streets, for the most part, are just dying as they have overheads, same with pubs. If pubs want to have overheads and charge, they can. Supermarkets eat that cost with ease.

I guess if you're not a pub guy then yeah why would you care?

But just like riding old bikes, pubs are a constant in my life. What do you do if sitting at home alone, with little to occupy your time? a trip to the pub for a chat.. it's where all the magic used to happen too, a furtive glance across the bar etc.. Wink
I've always loved the hubbub, the bon homie. The pub can be a place to seek solice, or counselling, or simply to find out what happened last night etc.. etc.. It may be a bold statement but I think there'd be far less mental health issue if people just went to the pub more. Sure, you have a a drink in the pub but thats isn't often then main reason for going.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I guess if you're not a pub guy then yeah why would you care?

But just like riding old bikes, pubs are a constant in my life. What do you do if sitting at home alone, with little to occupy your time? a trip to the pub for a chat.. it's where all the magic used to happen too, a furtive glance across the bar etc.. Wink
I've always loved the hubbub, the bon homie. The pub can be a place to seek solice, or counselling, or simply to find out what happened last night etc.. etc.. It may be a bold statement but I think there'd be far less mental health issue if people just went to the pub more. Sure, you have a a drink in the pub but thats isn't often then main reason for going.

The equivalent of church... for reprobates Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1