Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is fitting differing weight pushrods a bad idea?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:21 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Is fitting differing weight pushrods a bad idea? Reply with quote

This is on an enfield bullet, so it's a 2-valve overhead valve single with two seperate cams running off a pinnion on the end of the crank. The pushrods have a "bucket" on each end which engages onto a cam follower at the bottom with an adjuster and onto a pair of bolt-on rocker blocks at the top.

It's been heavily tuned and I keep bending inlet pushrods. I've dealt with the main problem which was poor clearances between the cam and follower but on inspection today, the inlet one is again a bit bent. No banannaed like previously but a slight compound bend in a couple of different directions when you hold a straight edge against it. I suspect full-bore-roar is simply too much for it. All the other parts of the valvetrain are upgraded to performance parts anyway (rockers, valves, springs, cams)

Now I made up a set of rods out of solid 7075 round bar instead of the unspecified Indian made alloy tube of the originals. There's no way this will bend. When I put some in a clamp and tried to bend it, I found the elastic phase is outwith the confines of the pushrod tunnel. As well as it being very strong alloy. Thing is it's significantly heavier.

I'm considering using the solid rod for the inlet and a standard, lighter one in the exhaust. I doubt it'll make much difference, I suppose the inlet valve will have a tendancy to float before the exhaust one. The rods are different lengths anyway and open and close independantly so they're not a balanced system.

Just wondering if there's something I'm overlooking that would make this a bad idea?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could consider the push-rods to be a parasitic drain in the system like an alternator. You'd therefore want the lightest but strongest rods possible. I would imagine if it was a perfectly balanced system introducing rods of different weights might introduce some vibration... have you noticed any vibration on your Enfield? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Maybe for a perfect system you'd want to add weight to the exhaust cam lobe (or, more practically, remove weight from the inlet cam lobe) but a smooth, purring Bullet engine? Be a bit weird!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for robust reliable over lite/speed/powah every time personally.

I expect we're talking a difference of adding a few grams not even ounces let alone pounds/kilos

Unless there are critical reasons to eke every tiny amount of energy out of the lump I'd want fit and forget.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavier springs stands to reason you can use heavier pushrods without penalty. You could always waist or counter-bore them if the weight troubles you. Personally, I'd suck it and see.

Are you sue you have enough valve to piston clearance?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Absolute barn door. >2mm with blu-tak on the piston crown when I assembled it. Specified minimum is 1.5mm. Just pulled the top end in preparation for fitting an additional decompression plate and there are no marks in the carbon on the piston crown.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Absolute barn door. >2mm with blu-tak on the piston crown when I assembled it. Specified minimum is 1.5mm. Just pulled the top end in preparation for fitting an additional decompression plate and there are no marks in the carbon on the piston crown.

Rule of thumb is 1mm minimum for steel rods 2mm for ally rods so that should be plenty. If you clayed it then obviously you turned it over a couple of times? Valves and pistons are usually closest about 10 degrees either side of TDC.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:00 - 04 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, it also bent a rod when it had an additional 2mm of compression plate under the barrel to where it is now so I don't think valves are tangling.

I think it's just accelerating that rod beyond what it can cope with. The performance cam has roughly an additional 2mm of lift against a stronger valve spring and the engine revs 1500 rpm higher than standard. There is less lift on the exhaust side.

You can see daylight through the springs at fully open, and the spring/valve kit was designed to go with these cams.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Is fitting differing weight pushrods a bad idea? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm considering using the solid rod for the inlet and a standard, lighter one in the exhaust. I doubt it'll make much difference, I suppose the inlet valve will have a tendancy to float before the exhaust one. The rods are different lengths anyway and open and close independantly so they're not a balanced system.

I expect that the 7075 pushrods will store more kinetic energy as they move through their range of motion. Possibly resulting in accelerated cam and rocker bushing wear. I suppose that it will be a long time (20,000+ miles?) before you will notice evidence of wear. It's cool that you plan to use the modified and stock rods at the same time; like having "prototype" and "control" parts in the same engine at the same time. Good luck.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be an issue with angles? The higher lift cam making a slight more acute angle on the rod?

I say this because I once spent a lot of time once phaffing about on my VW air-coooled motor with shims under rocker blocks etc.. to get the recommended angles when using a 'performance' cam. This was 16 years ago so I've forgotten the details, if not the time consumed..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel tube with the hardened ends swedged in. SS it more resistant to bend than alumininimimum. But lighter than solid steel bar.
Can be had for relatively cheap.

Equivalent OD and wall thickness.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Stainless steel tube with the hardened ends swedged in. SS it more resistant to bend than alumininimimum. But lighter than solid steel bar.
Can be had for relatively cheap.

Equivalent OD and wall thickness.

Has pretty severe fatigue issues though?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:47 - 05 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Could it be an issue with angles? The higher lift cam making a slight more acute angle on the rod?

I say this because I once spent a lot of time once phaffing about on my VW air-coooled motor with shims under rocker blocks etc.. to get the recommended angles when using a 'performance' cam. This was 16 years ago so I've forgotten the details, if not the time consumed..

Definately a factor, but then the increased barrel height goes a long way to nullifying it. I checked carfefully for any witness marks on the edge of the "cup" on the ends of the pushrodfs to see if it was striking the side of the "nipple" on the rocker because visually, it's pretty close to doing so. Nothing apparent after 3,000 miles.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:38 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might float a bit earlier and you'll get more wear on the cam and rockers. I would be concerned if the rockers have a weedy connection to the head, because that join is going to get hammered a lot more.

But seeing as this bike is clearly a test bed for doing perverse things to an Enfield, heavier pushrods seem like a reasonable next experiment. If you wear out the cam, it's an excuse to buy an even sillier one.

You are removing your sacrificial weak link from the valve system, so if there is any piston to valve contact it's going to break a valve instead of a pushrod next.

Looking at it from another angle, does it really need the heavier valve springs? If they're killing pushrods, maybe they're a bit too strong.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:16 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if anything was going to let go mechanically, it would probably push the rocker block studs up out of the head (4 x 1/4" BSC each rocker). Which is probably not as catastrophic as it sounds it might be. The studs themselves were homemade from EN8 (which was no walk in the park because four of them are an oversize 64th inch ground diameter). A broken rocker wouldn't be a total disaster either as long as it doesn't get fired out through something, they are bolt-on blocks that cost £30 complete.

I am going to invest in some Nord-lock washers for them though.

It probably does need those springs to keep in touch with the pointy cam. Also because revs. And on a more practical note, there are two off the shelf spring sets for this engine and the other ones would coil-bind with these cams.

There are no sillier cams. I checked. These are absolute maximum silly. The main bearing oil seal housing had to be undercut to fit them in the engine.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AL9nZEWbN3Rq3kzLbuEVJ2qrWzr4EkxCSiQ3mQ3573A8gdcvNUXB7h5Zr1wy-DNgjHf9cFGN4bbmuOXBHSYxCkctacgs99sMTfUZjAxjhqX5C2j_IHqAxj9u9ccAs3O03wTYs5_EbR3IBJhXk0vAj1__-cKE=w1182-h886-no

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:18 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much cam lobe as rotating hammer.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 06 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

There are no sillier cams. I checked. These are absolute maximum silly. The main bearing oil seal housing had to be undercut to fit them in the engine.

Laughing 'absolute maximum silly' is now my new favourite sentence.

To answer your question though, I wouldn't have thought having different weights would matter too much, adding more weight will increase the reciprocating mass and reduce the rate of acceleration but I dont think thats much of a problem with that particular barking mad engine youve built. maybe if were talking an order of magnitude heavier it might be concerning. have you measured the actual weight difference out of interest?

Even on a bog stock one the inlet and exhaust valves are different sizes and therefore weights so the valve train is unbalanced between valves anyways.

Id be worried about taking away the almost sacrificial weakest link in the valve train but given that the valve wont kiss the piston without some heroic levels of valve float then I cant see much of an issue. is it worth making some rocker studs that are undercut in the centre to become sacrificial without ripping the thread out of the head?

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1