Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Triumph Sprint ST 1050 Reply with quote

Anyone ever owned a Triumph Sprint ST 1050? Seen some really clean ones for only £2,500 to £3,000 on Autotrader and I think they look really fucking nice.

What are the ergos like on them and how are they to handle? I am going from an ER6F which doesn't put me into an aggressive posture and I would prefer to keep things that way Laughing

What kind of thing should I look out for?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202210210946979

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:04 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handling is okay, average, appropriate, the rear hub can seize, it pops a little on the over run.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:18 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were after a Katana? Sat on one at Motorcycle live, seriously lush Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
I thought you were after a Katana? Sat on one at Motorcycle live, seriously lush Laughing

I am/ was but I went to Mikey Oates and he said he's not had one in stock for almost two years and doesn't think he will get another one again. If I am going for a Katana I want it brand-new it won't be a second hand bike.

I have the itch for something else now and it has to be a bigger bike than a 650. I was hoping I would hold out until the spring/ summer and punt both my bikes and get a Katana but the fucking things are like hens teeth.

EDIT: forgot to mention if I was going to get something just now before getting a brand-new and more expensive bike that it has to be in the £3,000 - £4,500 range.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one.

Handling is pretty good, but remember it's a bit of a heavy ol' bus. I think the under-seat exhausts look the nuts, but your bum can get warm on hot days.

Build quality is good by Triumph standards. Common issues are reg/rec failures and seized rear hub-adjusters - but I've had my 2008 for 2 years now and only issue so far has been a failed battery.

Standard luggage is sturdy, but neither the panniers nor the top box fit a helmet. I swapped to an after market top box for shopping runs.

Headlights on all but the last year or so of production (when they went from shit projectors to more standard reflectors) are rubbish. The triple lights look good though. (see also triple clocks, triple tail pipes, triple spokes. Nice touch)

I love the looks, and I love the burbles on the overrun Wink

Edit: ergonomics. Sporty-ish but just upright enough to save an old git like me from discomfort. Some people find the handlebar position a bit low, but risers are available.

The GT has very slightly more upright position, and hasn't got the underseat exhausts - slightly longer, and is probably the better option if you carry pillions much.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has the Sprint GT (same bike with very slightly longer wheelbase, non-underseat exhaust, matched luggage, other minor changes). Firstly, the engine is an absolute peach (same applies to all the bikes it's used in to be honest), torquey and smooth from tickover, with the triple layout giving it some character. I think I've mentioned it before but you can pull off without using the throttle. Just snick it into gear and slowly release the clutch and it'll just purr along at walking pace. And it's got a fat usable midrange, it's just a great road engine.

Not a lot of faults noted with them (apart from making sure the rear hub doesn't seize as already mentioned). When I rode it back to back with my VFR800, the engine on the Sprint was better, and the handling a bit more nimble and front end feel slightly better on the VFR. Everything else was pretty similar to be honest (understandable as the Sprint was designed as a direct competitor). I didn't feel like the slightly slower steering on the Sprint was really a detriment, it gives it a stability in corners that inspired confidence for me. But I came away thinking I'd happily ride either all day.

I wouldn't trade my VFR in for one as I'd personally choose the better handling over the extra power, and the VFR was half the price, but I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing the other way. My mate loves his, so I don't think you'll go far wrong.

PS - His previous bike was.... an ER6F. Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:29 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some have plastic tanks, some steel and that the plactic ones can be prone to swelling on E10?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that some have plastic tanks, some steel and that the plactic ones can be prone to swelling on E10?

This is true, in fact the plastic tanks are even known to swell or blister on E5.

2007/2008 seems to be the changeover from plastic to metal.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:08 - 08 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ST is good, the GT is supposed to be an ill handling pig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 10 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy pasting. I've ranted about my old one nuff times. Nobby loves his so you'll get both sides.

sshenton1975 wrote:

Triumph ST - again nice balance between sports and touring,

I sold my Sprint because it wasn't that.

It's far too heavy to be sporty and although it's very stable in longer sweeping bends on more narrow stuff it was really hard work. Brakes weren't amazing so you couldn't lean on them particularly. It's an alright handling bike don't get me wrong but agile and able to mix it, it ain't. I dare say it is better through the lanes than a full on tourer but that doesn't excuse the next bit.

It's a crap tourer. The panniers are terrible leaky awkward internally shaped things that are bloody heavy, and you can't easily tie on to the back seat as there's a lack of bungee hooks, along with a hot underslung exhaust. So loading it up is difficult compared to a proper tourer. Further, it's not that comfortable as an overall, let alone for a tourer. It's too hard on knees and wrists and if it were any good at the scratching bit then I'd allow it that, but it ain't.

Essentially it's the worst of both breeds stuck together. Both sides are so far compromised that neither make sense.

My current KTM I'm absolutely sure does both, better. With the exception of stability at 3 digit speeds it outclasses the Sprint in every single way. Why I kept the Triumph as long as I did, I just don't know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 10 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my ST, but if I'm being honest, I can't really disagree with a word of what Arry wrote.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:11 - 12 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for about three years in 2015 after owning a Speed Four for the previous seven.

The engine was great, more than enough power, sounded fantastic, reasonable economy - but that's about it.

The brakes were incredibly spongy no matter how many times I bled them - mine was the ABS model but I did buy the tool to bleed them.

Build quality was pretty good but I didn't ride it much in poorer weather.

Suspension was VERY soft and WILL need rebuilding/upgrading as it was never brilliant to start with.

I ended up almost pushing the fucking thing in the river though. I had no end of charging problems - and certainly wasn't alone in that regard. There was a point where I was genuinely bump starting it more than using the button. Now, I'd probably work out what the fuck was wrong with it but I had a windfall at the time and swapped it for another bike.

Oh, and if it's a pre 2007 (?) model you will need to unscrew the seat and lift the tank to get to the battery which is a MASSIVE pain in the arse.

Personally I'd be looking for a sorted VFR as there will be a lot less to go wrong on them.

Daves gone riding
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:07 - 19 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked mine.

As above, soft suspension which will need sorting unless you're a lightweight.

Overall, not a sharp sports bike and not a big comfy tourer. But fun enough, I liked mine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1