Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get my broadband/phone/TV package price down: the usual tactic is threaten to leave, try and wangle a better deal. "Better" actually being the same deal they'd offer a new customer.

Checking broadband/phone prices (with Vodafone) "sorry, we're experiencing some technical problems." How about Sky Stream? Build a package, hit the checkout button, "sorry, something went wrong." Virgin Media: "why not use out online chat facility?" I'll tell you why not, you don't actually offer a way to get to it! Tell a lie: if I raise an official complaint I'm now thrown into online chat. "Yes, my complaint is your website is shite."

Why not ring these people? Oh yes, half an hour navigating a menu with "press 1" just to get put through to someone Singapore to whom English isn't even a third language. ffs.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I left BT when the price hit £60+ a month ^^^

That was just for internet. The CPI plus 3.x% interest each year really pushed it up. I hate that hike, same with phone companies.

I'm now with a company that run on the CityFibre network that we have in MK, FibreHop. £36 a month and 900Mbps download. (I get about 400 over the wifi) . It's a basic service but running firesticks on 4 TV's, alexa in every room I've had no issues at all. (queue broadband failure Laughing )

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Trying to get my broadband/phone/TV package price down: the usual tactic is threaten to leave, try and wangle a better deal

There is nothing which boils my piss as much as this annual rigmarole. My own payments to VirginMedia have just pretty much doubled overnight having gone out of contract, so I need to go through it yet again. Last year was particularly stressful; having given my month's notice of cancellation as per usual, and having been told that absolutely 100% would there be no better deal than a nominal few quid discount, it wasn't until the last few hours of the notice period until they came back to me with a proper offer. The pisser for me is that I only have a VirginMedia line into the house, so I can't simply switch to a competitor using BT's line if push comes to shove.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my original BT line is now a subject of a palaeontology phd thesis. The Virgin Media line went the same way. I reported a fault and the engineer just came round and plugged the phone into the back of my router: transparent VoIP Neutral

In the end I did manage to get £40 per month off my bill though. Funny that.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
^^^ I left BT when the price hit £60+ a month ^^^

That was just for internet.

Shocked £30 is about my limit. I left BT (a few years back) as they repeatedly put the price up, then wouldn't even offer a lower amount. As I was out of contract I just left, at which point they started calling about staying (too late Rolling Eyes).

Vodafone did the same thing, although at least they offered a lower amount.

Currently paying ~£18 p/m for 67Mbps with Shell... yeah apparently they do Broadband, and it's been rock solid. However it was a first year discounted monthly price, with bill credit deal which I doubt they'll offer me (anything like) again.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:35 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I closed the lid of my laptop while there was a pen still on the keyboard, and I fucked up the screen - I wouldnt mind but I didn't even slam the lid shut Rolling Eyes
Sensitive little flowers, these screens, aren't they.

The chaps in the IT department couldn't provide me with a replacement right there and then, despite that I have a terribly important meeting tomorrow (off-site) ... so I had a fleeting moment of mild panic and then remembered that I had a spare one at home which I hadn't got round to giving back to them. Thumbs Up Laughing

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 03:48 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Mates wife did that but with a cable going across the laptop, bust the hinge but luckily still worked ........ then denied having done it ... only the two of them in the house Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people winge about getting through to a call center abroad it always reminds me of when I worked providing support in the community and my clients when I needed to get them to call some service would voice similar concerns. Most often the problem was the person on the other side of the planet spoke better English than the client rather than the other way round.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people still rent telephone line/internet from the big boys. We all know they entice you in with low prices but then increase that when they want. I'm currently with Zen. Initially more expensive, but it's plateaued out over the years because I don't have to mess around changing companies because i've been charged excesses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
I don't know why people still rent telephone line/internet from the big boys. We all know they entice you in with low prices but then increase that when they want. I'm currently with Zen. Initially more expensive, but it's plateaued out over the years because I don't have to mess around changing companies because i've been charged excesses.

My mum was very happy with her Post Office phone line but then it got bought out by "Shell Energy" and the new regime fired everyone and gouged all the customers.

Never take your eye off the ball.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bastard cold that is going around. Feels like I've been eating cactus and I'm producing more green than BirdsEye....

Currently looking for work as a Mariella Frostrup vocal impersonator...

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Agreed. Not to say I wouldn't move if I wanted to! But for some people that process can seem frightening, that's why old people tend not to want to rock the boat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Agreed. Not to say I wouldn't move if I wanted to! But for some people that process can seem frightening, that's why old people tend not to want to rock the boat.

Agreed. I have to mentally shake myself when that word 'LOYALTY' seeps into my mind for some reason. They show absolutly no loyalty to their customers despite all the platitudes. Don't think showing them any is going to get you brownie points.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay seller who was communicative before the end of the auction, going silent afterwards (ignoring messages about collection) Evil or Very Mad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:34 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

Go on, how cheap is it?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
eBay seller who was communicative before the end of the auction, going silent afterwards (ignoring messages about collection) Evil or Very Mad

Or the opposite way: my wife's tried to shift a baby car seat. Incoming message "can we pick it up this evening?" doesn't turn up, stops responding to messages. Just fucking rude.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
M.C wrote:

Or the opposite way: my wife's tried to shift a baby car seat. Incoming message "can we pick it up this evening?" doesn't turn up, stops responding to messages. Just fucking rude.

That's why I stopped trying to give things away on gumtree. "I'm on my way" then they never turn up. I still wonder what their fate was Crying or Very sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
This bastard cold that is going around. Feels like I've been eating cactus and I'm producing more green than BirdsEye....

Currently looking for work as a Mariella Frostrup vocal impersonator...

Think I'm on the tail end of it - laid me up over the weekend - 2 days of astonishingly shite TV watching. Still coughing mind you..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think I'm on the tail end of it - laid me up over the weekend - 2 days of astonishingly shite TV watching. Still coughing mind you..

How long did it last? I have heard tell of two weeks with this one.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

the steering wheel in the new car is slightly off centre. about half inch to the right id guess. bloody annoying. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
blurredman wrote:

My mum was very happy with her Post Office phone line but then it got bought out by "Shell Energy" and the new regime fired everyone and gouged all the customers.

Use one of the smaller VoIP suppliers. I've been with MyPhones for a good few years now. They supplied me with an ATA so that I could still use the cordless DECT phone system of my choice. I use EE 4G broadband which is probably the best overall service I can get here although there are a couple of local ISPs I'm eyeing up...

I binned BT (yes I know, EE...) completely. Ported my BT landline number over to the VoIP service and couldn't be happier. The costs for my phone are much lower.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have to mentally shake myself when that word 'LOYALTY' seeps into my mind for some reason. They show absolutly no loyalty to their customers despite all the platitudes. Don't think showing them any is going to get you brownie points.

I generally go with this sentiment.

The only thing I have kept a long-term account with is PACT for my fancy coffee. I love those fat little envelopes slipping through my mailbox now and then Wub

A while back they started giving me a "founders discounted price"* so I stuck with them, because also what I like is that you can tweak the details of when and how often you get a delivery - and also can put yourself on hold for a while - now and then they remind you (of course) but you can renew the hold until it suits you to get more delivered.

I think I am only getting it once every two months anyway, because I don't drink as much of it as I used to.

*basically the same price I've always paid

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one of those precious "arrogant young guy in flash car" Uber drivers on the way home.

Not only did he pull up on the other side of the road, he then sat and watched me drag my suitcase across the road and then (Outraged of Plaistow Laughing ) ... he expected me to step onto an icy pavement - my side of the road, where there is taxi parking, being completely un-icy. He didn't even move a muscle until I started stamping my feet and making a fuss about the pavement.

AND he got all peculiar in that way men do about lifting a suitcase right out of the boot otherwise you will scratch their paintwork. Most minicab drivers pop the trunk, jump out and lift the case in for you, out of courtesy.

This one was lazy and it was only when he realised I couldn't lift it (old woman/long day) and that I would drag it across his boot paintwork, did he jump out.

Possibly, in hindsight, I realise he might have been listening to the footie. But today I am a rugby-centric elderly Karen and he is an Uberisto. So do your fucking job, matey.

Idle git. The youth of today.

Thinking Probably I didn't *look* like as old a woman as I really am ... I was more dogged-up-to-the-nines than usual because of the work thingie. My Uber account says "Dr Jennifer" because I opened it when they were giving the NHS half-price taxi fares during lockdown - so uberistos are usually more sucky-uppy than this one was Laughing I am disinclined to bother changing it, except when Turkish uberistos ask me what kind of dottore I am. So I tell them I am a neurosurgeon Laughing

Anyway, no more Karening today, its extremely wearing being a diva, you know.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 15 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Use one of the smaller VoIP suppliers. I've been with MyPhones for a good few years now. They supplied me with an ATA so that I could still use the cordless DECT phone system of my choice. I use EE 4G broadband which is probably the best overall service I can get here although there are a couple of local ISPs I'm eyeing up...

I binned BT (yes I know, EE...) completely. Ported my BT landline number over to the VoIP service and couldn't be happier. The costs for my phone are much lower.

Good point. If even the Big Boys are "cheating" and converting everyone over to VoIP then the concept of landlines is dead. Step 1 is therefore get the best value/reliability broadband and everything else follows from that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 120 of 178