Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insulate Britain...No seriously.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Insulate Britain...No seriously. Reply with quote

With all the hoohaa about high energy wastage heating our homes I had a probably crazy idea. What if every time a home was sold then a survey was done to see what insulation it needed retrofitting and if needed the government funds the job being done? At 4,2% of the housing stock getting turned over every year then if say (ballpark for convenience) 4% needed insulating then in ten years 40% of the housing stock would be properly insulated, in ten years twice that and so on. Not only that but the housing market would be boosted. I know mad idea and a bit off the cuff but I do think that rather than blanket banning things and virtue signalling with electric cars for the wealthy middle class policies like this might be a better idea.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your figures presume that no house would be re-sold within 20yrs.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Your figures presume that no house would be re-sold within 20yrs.

I know but a rolling program like this would be a better solution than the current lets hope new build ate better one. I couldn't find a figure which took into account reselling within the ten year period and frankly the math would be beyond me but not someone here im sure.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a government grant scheme for insulation but it was stopped. Admin costs probably high, plus insulation often installed badly or inappropriately (impairing ventilation).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
There was a government grant scheme for insulation but it was stopped. Admin costs probably high, plus insulation often installed badly or inappropriately (impairing ventilation).

It entirely relied on homeowners applying for it. And collapsed because of bad contractors. Im talking about something far more organized.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Insulate Britain...No seriously. Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
With all the hoohaa about high energy wastage heating our homes I had a probably crazy idea. What if every time a home was sold then a survey was done to see what insulation it needed retrofitting and if needed the government funds the job being done? At 4,2% of the housing stock getting turned over every year then if say (ballpark for convenience) 4% needed insulating then in ten years 40% of the housing stock would be properly insulated, in ten years twice that and so on. Not only that but the housing market would be boosted. I know mad idea and a bit off the cuff but I do think that rather than blanket banning things and virtue signalling with electric cars for the wealthy middle class policies like this might be a better idea.

Any grant scheme in this country that involves the Government and the Private sector just gets the piss ripped out of it , instant price hikes, we're a selfish country and declining

Literally the only way it would ever happen is via the council doing it inhouse and probably make a bollocks of it
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

There still is one in Scotland. I'm getting my loft insulation topped up plus external insulation with one.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 17 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Insulate Britain...No seriously. Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

Any grant scheme in this country that involves the Government and the Private sector just gets the piss ripped out of it , instant price hikes, we're a selfish country and declining

Literally the only way it would ever happen is via the council doing it inhouse and probably make a bollocks of it

It would be better done by a local authority corporation for sure.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

There still is one in Scotland. I'm getting my loft insulation topped up plus external insulation with one.

I got extra loft insulation a couple of years ago with the scheme. My brother while between jobs so on Universal Credit managed to qualify for a heat pump installation as he had storage heaters. £15k instal for nada. So he better not moan about Swinney sticking his income tax up Rolling Eyes

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 18 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You’re welcome. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My house is as insulated as a house built in 1908 can be.
I paid for it myself.
Why should I have to pay for other peoples houses to be insulated?

Everytime someone says "I think the government should pay for this" it means "someone else should pay for the things I think matter".

All tax is theft. etc etc.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
I paid for it myself.

Everytime someone says "I think the government should pay for this" it means "someone else should pay for the things I think matter".

Thank you for your contribution towards mine. Thumbs Up Laughing

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
I paid for it myself.

Trouble is, you've got the oldies freezing to death that then clog up the NHS costing even more
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:

Trouble is, you've got the oldies freezing to death that then clog up the NHS costing even more

I don't think that the NHS can do anything for them by that stage.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got cold called (no pun) about my loft insulation needing upgraded to a new fangled material.
To bozos came out, spent 10 mins in the attic and then told me the bad news.
My loft insulation was damp.
I think that's how it works. Stops heat going through it so it will be cold on the outer layers. Any moisture in the air will condense on the cold material.
I hunted them.
Probably looking at 2 grand for some edjits to roll in some loft insulation.
GTF.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I got cold called (no pun) about my loft insulation needing upgraded to a new fangled material.
I think that's how it works. Stops heat going through it so it will be cold on the outer layers. Any moisture in the air will condense on the cold material.
I hunted them.
GTF.

Probably shouldn't actually be damp though. Unless you have some water getting in somehow.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
MCN wrote:
I hunted them.
GTF.

Probably shouldn't actually be damp though. Unless you have some water getting in somehow.

if its anything like cowboy builders, they probably took a bottle of water up with them to make the issue
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a government grant in my area 3 years ago and I had loft insulation and solar panels fitted for free. I was really surprised that I've seen maybe a handful of houses in my town with solar panels fitted, so it's definitely a case that most people cant be arsed with it or don't care because they are renting.

Been keeping an eye out for another one but they only offer them to people on benefits and such Rolling Eyes . It's still freezing in my house so next year I'm fitting insulation under my suspended floor.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
....and then told me the bad news.

The symptom you describe is often caused by poor loft ventilation.
What material do you have underneath the tiles? If it is a tar based felt then that could be one of the causes as it does not allow the moist air to escape. The moist air condenses on the underside of the felt and drips down onto the surface below forming wet patches.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 22 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
There was a government grant in my area 3 years ago and I had loft insulation and solar panels fitted for free.

…they only offer them to people on benefits and such. It's still freezing in my house so next year I'm fitting insulation under my suspended floor.

You are also welcome. Wink

(I think you meant you’re not on benefits and so not eligible for the new scheme but… Laughing )

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan they have enormous taxes on inheriting property which somehow makes it more likely property gets redeveloped, they must give a tax break. This means their housing stock gets renewed to more midern standards on a regular basis. They're also very liberal on the design so long as the work is done within building codes.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 23 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
In Japan they have enormous taxes on inheriting property which somehow makes it more likely property gets redeveloped, they must give a tax break. This means their housing stock gets renewed to more midern standards on a regular basis. They're also very liberal on the design so long as the work is done within building codes.

And yet, they're the most indebted country in the world
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1