Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the best instant carburetor sealer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rooz12
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:34 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: What is the best instant carburetor sealer? Reply with quote

Hello,

I got my carb off and cleaned it but when I put it back on the bike, I noticed that petrol comes out of what I can see is the float boat! It's a twin carb.

The runber sealers were old and I might have damaged them by using carb cleaner liquid/spray on them.

I was wondering what is the best instant gasket to use on carbs? It needs to be fuel resistant.

I found a couple from halfords and euro car parts but they both say resistant to oil, antifreeze and water...

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the correct gaskets for the carb, insta gasket wont ever work properly
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, get a rebuild kit or new float bowl gaskets.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short term, Blue Hylomar. However, it is 'gonna leak, and if (more accurately, when) it catches, you're in a world of hurt. Insurance adjuster, fire service etc find a bodge on a carb and the insurance will be laughing at paying out, or will pay the third party damages and then come after you for them. That's purely a "get you home" fix for a few miles. It WILL let go.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:52 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also suggests the float height is wrong or there's something wrong with the floats or needle valve because most carbs have the float height below the flange. If fuel is leaking out round the edges of the float bowl, the fuel level is probably too high.

As above, instant gasket wont work. If it's a paper gasket, you can carefully cut a new one out of a cereal packet. If it's a rubber one, you need a new one. They are not usually expensive.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 31 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the interface between carbs and engine that you're talking about, no goo will work. Just get new carb rubbers and gaskets. What's the point of a fix that only lasts 10 minutes? If you're talking about the float bowl rubber seal, then the float height needs to be reset (as suggested above).

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 31 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's fair to generalise, plenty of carb bowls have the fuel level crossing the gasket joint, and even if it doesn't at rest it surely will on the move.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1