Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glut of dealer motorcycle listings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 29 Dec 2022    Post subject: Glut of dealer motorcycle listings Reply with quote

I have a browse through FleaBay from time to time to test temperature of the market (and find candidates for "eBay's most miserable" thread) and the listings from my local dealers seemed to have ballooned massively.

Chiswick Honda look to have about three times as many, some of the independents 5 to 10x as many as previously Shocked Maybe they're just getting better at listing the stock they always have Thinking All sorts though - big and small, bikes and scooters - none of it particularly cheap. Is this just a seasonal trend I'd not noticed before?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 29 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's buying bikes in this shitty weather and cost of living crisis?

I do suspect a lot is seasonal although i have no proof. I suspect a lot of dealers chuck bikes, moslty 2nd hand/trade ins and the like on ebay at this time of year just to keep some sort of turnover going.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 29 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep probably trying to stimulate the market at this slow time of year
similar to all that January sales shite.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:38 - 29 Dec 2022    Post subject: Re: Glut of dealer motorcycle listings Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Is this just a seasonal trend I'd not noticed before?

Many people are upgrading their vehicles in order to be more like Andrew Tate. Wub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-YuskLMzY8

Rain

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a true glut? A glut is something that follows a shortage. It should be seen in the new bikes market first. If dealers have over-ordered, then it's a glut. Otherwise, it's a seasonal adjustment.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely the desire to liquidate some stock in order to boost cash reserves ...
They are now entering a lean period until the spring time...
Like who or how many buy a bike wit snow..ice or salt on the ground ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 30 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some bargains in a month or so when none of the stock moves?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 02 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Shifty

I looked at some very nice Triumphs recently, while I was buying huge motorcycling trousers in Maidstone. I can almost afford a new one, but it seems pointless to do so really Rolling Eyes I think age is getting the better of me: "can only ride one bike at a time", aaaiiiiyyyyeeeeee! Laughing
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I tried buying a bike last Jan/Feb and the dealers/retail sellers refused to let me test ride as the bike would get dirty and then they'd need to wash it again. Their answer was for me to buy the bike then return it if I didn't like it! Laughing

Safe to say I waited a little while and bought privately instead.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

kipper season, always the same
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I tried buying a bike last Jan/Feb and the dealers/retail sellers refused to let me test ride as the bike would get dirty and then they'd need to wash it again. Their answer was for me to buy the bike then return it if I didn't like it! Laughing

Last time I looked at a bike in a dealership I had a similar experience. They expected me to agree to buy it (and presumably do a load of paperwork) before I rode it, but told me it wasn't a problem as I could cancel later if I didn't like it. Er, no thanks.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:48 - 03 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I bought mine last Feb. Popped in to the dealers and had a look. Rang ‘em back a week later to take them up on the offer of a test ride. No issues, no pressure. I thought it was quite a good idea as you get the bike in advance of the spring rush, no probs getting MoT etc. sorted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1