Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vinyl LP's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:03 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Vinyl LP's Reply with quote

Like many of a certain age I spent a few hours most Saturdays in the local record shop buying at least 1 LP.

A new near neighbour is a vinyl collector/dealer & has gone through 'em, valuing the lot at £7k+ & is prepared to offer me £4k as a job lot.

Is there any reason why I should hold on to 'em & not put that £4k down on a new Z900RS ???

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:15 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you asking us? We can't tell you that. You'll never get them back, and he's saying they are worth £7k. I'd want the 7 and not the 4, seeing as maths is a thing.

I've never really understood why people would accept less for something like this. A touch of extra work to find the valuable ones and get them sold would mean another three grand. Or, the LP's are worth more to you sentimentally, in which case tell him to jog on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you certain your neighbour hasnt undervalued them?
2nd hand dealers arent renowned for their honesty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:23 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Vinyl LP's Reply with quote

Moth wrote:
valuing the lot at £7k+ & is prepared to offer me £4k as a job lot.

So when someone values your bike at 10k, you'll list at 8k?

Seems silly, if its worth 7k, its 7k. If he has to put money on them to re-sell, thats his beef.

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

He used an app on his phone to scan & value most of 'em but there's first issue stuff from Pink Floyd & Led Zepp which he says are worth £100's . . . . All in very good condition as I tended to record them once to tape & play those.

There's over 400 LP's, I'm not listing 400 items on eBay to deal with 400 thieving scumbags who either didn't receive it or send back an empty envelope 'cos it was scratched . . . .

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Why are you asking us? We can't tell you that. You'll never get them back, and he's saying they are worth £7k. I'd want the 7 and not the 4, seeing as maths is a thing.

I've never really understood why people would accept less for something like this. A touch of extra work to find the valuable ones and get them sold would mean another three grand. Or, the LP's are worth more to you sentimentally, in which case tell him to jog on.

Same reason people go to 'We buy any car' or trade in rather than sell privately, convenience.

If he's a dealer he's going to want his margins and that's stock money tied up. I don't think it's a bad opening offer IF he's being honest about the value.

If you have the time to ge through record by record and check out values/prices on line as Marjay says, do it. If you can't be bothered, get a second opinion before you decide what to do.

Moth
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:35 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If you have the time to ge through record by record and check out values/prices on line as Marjay says, do it. If you can't be bothered, get a second opinion before you decide what to do.

I did have a quick look at checking a few values but tiny little differences on the vinyl or cover can mean the difference between £5 & £500.

I think with the money involved it would be worth a second opinion, I'm off to find a shop that deals in 'em.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:43 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moth wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

He used an app on his phone to scan & value most of 'em but there's first issue stuff from Pink Floyd & Led Zepp which he says are worth £100's . . . . All in very good condition as I tended to record them once to tape & play those.

There's over 400 LP's, I'm not listing 400 items on eBay to deal with 400 thieving scumbags who either didn't receive it or send back an empty envelope 'cos it was scratched . . . .

Then don't use ebay. Put them up at a legit auction house, or find a vinyl collectors group. For £3k I'd be doing the damn work, especially as it would make the difference in financing a bike vs not financing a bike.

What with all this talk of Rishi wanting kids to learn maths until they are 18, I thought this would be apropos. Here's an exam question for you:

'Jack' Has items worth £7000. Prepared to sell items for £4000 so he can put a deposit down on a bike worth £9000 at an interest rate of 19% APR (probably more now). How much of an idiot is Jack?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Vinyl LP's Reply with quote

Moth wrote:
Like many of a certain age I spent a few hours most Saturdays in the local record shop buying at least 1 LP.

A new near neighbour is a vinyl collector/dealer & has gone through 'em, valuing the lot at £7k+ & is prepared to offer me £4k as a job lot.

Is there any reason why I should hold on to 'em & not put that £4k down on a new Z900RS ???

First bcf Troll Post of 2023. Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, you could weed out any which are valuable as 1st presses/limited editions, flog those and replace them with a more standard version then play and enjoy them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:44 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect to lose 23% (ish) in autioneers charges. The person buying also pays fees as well so you need to factor that into how much they would be willing to pay.

In addition they have to pay fees if the auction house is using one of the oinline bidding websites as well as in the auction house itself.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the money? The value is likely to go up, at higher than the rate of inflation. So it would make sense to hold.

Alternatively, the very rare and most valuable records may be at the top of their value and unlikely to go up much more. It could be worth selling those, and holding on to the cheaper stuff.

I don't know much about records, but I do keep half an eye on the price of old computer games. There is a bit of a value ceiling there, where you get a marked cutoff from games you would actually play (opened box), to unopened stuff that gets graded on condition and will only ever sit in someone's collection.

For games that seems to top out around the £500 mark for ones you would actually play. I assume it's similar for records. It's hard to sit back and enjoy listening to something when you know that one random act of cat could scratch the record and cost you £500.

There are some games I had 25 years ago that I really regret selling for peanuts now.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd already be gone if they were mine. I'd try and squeeze another £500 out of him though.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give you a tenner for the lot.
Been through the singles, lps, tapes, cds, evolution and now have a massive
audio collection I could fit on a thumb drive.

Why would I want to faff about with the storage and the obsessive care and feeding of piles of plastic?
plus the bulky equipment needed to play them.

I'll accept some may be rare and have some value in that but only to the few who buy into the
old is good ethos but this is akin to the any old motorbike is a classic bullshit.

See if you can get 5 grand out of him then take the money and run

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
They'd already be gone if they were mine. I'd try and squeeze another £500 out of him though.

This would be my take too, I'd ask him for £5k and be happy to settle in the middle, or take £4k if that's his genuine highest offer.

Sure, they might be worth more if separated and sold individually by somebody who knows their stuff. Could you ever really be bothered to do that though?

I know I couldn't.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:01 - 08 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has a fair few CD’s and vinyl.
If someone offered me a four figure sum for the lot, I’d bite thier arms off .
Very sadly , nobody wants CD’s these days .
Unless your vinyl is mint , it’s almost worthless Crying or Very sad .

In this economic situation we find ourselves in, I’ll bet there are even less buyers out there than there normally would be.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1