Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My MT10 thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 14 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
hi where did you get the bar end mirrors for i like them my original ones dont virbrate but can see bugger all in left one as i bave a wonky spine

https://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/search/finder/5573/

They used to be on my MT09, I popped the original ones back on it when I traded it in and bunged them
over to the new bike. I would prefer ones that fold right in for filtering though as my access to get the bike into
my back garden is a bit narrow and there's no way to widen it, but mine were bought when that wasn't an issue.
I don't live in the same house anymore. They are much easier to see behind in even though the lens is smaller.
The anodising isn't great on the front of the mirror part of mine but I bought them a good few years ago and looking
at their website they seem to have changed the finish and added a logo. Not cheap but at least they haven't hiked
the price, I think I paid £75 a side back in 2017.

Rizoma make some nice ones too. I quite like the 'SPY' ones and they screw into the OEM threads without an adaptor.
Almost bought a second hand set on ebay a few weeks ago.

https://www.rizoma.com/en/bs294.html

My mistake, they do need an adaptor.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 16 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

thanks mate

Worth mentioning that there are different three sizes of SPY mirror on the Rizoma website because they dont make
it all that clear. 57mm, 80mm and 94.5mm. I think I'd go 80mm out of those although the 57mm would probably
look best on the bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First service done yesterday. Only managed 470 miles before the pre booked date came around but the cold snap we
had buggered any chance of me getting 600 done in time. The chain had gone so slack that I didn't fancy another 150 odd
miles with it running like that so I'm not that bothered. Needless to say it lashed down and blew a gale yesterday, sods law.
They gave me a Suzuki V-Strom 1050 XT as a courtesy bike (which they forgot to charge me for, Laughing but should have been
£15 extra on top of the bill for the service) I was annoyed that I had to immediately put a fivers worth into the Suzuki as
I noticed the fuel light flashing half a mile away from Fowlers. I got a receipt for the fuel with the hope they would knock
it off the bill, instead they stuck a gallon in the MT10 before I took it home Thumbs Up . I rode my bike there and back in mode
D which is rain mode and drops the power to 100bhp, and has maximum ABS, TCS and engine braking settings.
I barely touched the brakes in either direction so effective it was. I was surprised at how easy it was to ride in the wet,
I wasn't looking forward to it at all. Removing Yamaha's hideous tail piece did mean I had a load of crud sprayed up my
back after a ride in the shitty conditions but I'll suffer that to have the bike looking so much better than it did with it on.
The bike is filthy after the three mile ride home, even though it was washed as part of the service so I'm just about to take
it out front for a quick jetwash to get the crud off of it before it goes to bed for the winter. I can't wait for the springtime to
come around so I can go and give it a proper thrashing, I'm not tiptoeing around the rev counter anymore. Broken back in 3... 2... Laughing

Edit... Did I say I was going to wash it? As I finished this post I looked outside and it was bloody raining again. Unbelievable. Middle Finger Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:26 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beauty!

I know you'll enjoy her. I don't think there's a better naked bike out there at the moment, in my humble opinion.

I enjoyed many miles on mine all over the country and to France and back. For a naked bike it stood up to the task admirably and is a complete riot round the twisties.

Mine is up for sale now though as I've got my eyes on a Multistrada (hopefully) or if not, definitely something in the sports adventure or sports tourer segments. I just know I'm going to miss the MT though! I'll be beside myself when she leaves me Sad

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 22:32 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: My MT10 thread. Reply with quote

I'f I'd been able to find a front semi-fairing kit for it from somewhere (like the old Fazer had) I reckon I'd have kept it.

grr666 wrote:
Couple of pics, I know some people think this is an ugly bike but I really do prefer it to the Mark one Wub, it looks pretty
imposing in the metal and I love the satin paint finish. Can't wait to give it a proper thrashing. Laughing

You're right, they're by no means a 'pretty bike'. Divisive, to say the least! I think they look cool/mean, but not pretty. Doesn't bother me none, it's how the thing rides and performs that matters.

Last edited by TravisBickle on 23:32 - 06 Jan 2023; edited 1 time in total

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:31 - 06 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The MT10 ought to be right up my street. Cross plane crank, light weight, quality suspension and bucketloads of power.

But somehow it just leaves me cold. I can't really explain why. The looks don't do it for me, but I do own a GSX-S1000F which is not exactly a looker itself. The lack of fuel range and the raw nature I keep hearing about doesn't really appeal either.

If I were to buy a Yamaha right now, it would probably be the new XSR900... but that's for different reasons.

If I were to buy a big-ass street bike I'd like to think it would be a Tuono 1100, but honestly that's too tall for me. For an actual naked I'd probably go something more retro like a Z900RS.

Funny you should say that because that's exactly how I described the KTM 1290 left me feeling after I test rode one (or two, actually) when I was window-shopping last summer looking for something a little bit more touring-capable (I test rode the 1290 Superduke and the 1290 Super Adventure as what I was after actually falls between those two models, the 1290 GT, but they didn't have a demo so I had to ride the other two to try to form an opinion of what to expect from a GT). Coming from the MT10 which has a VERY characterful engine, especially for an inline 4, I got on the 1290s expecting to be bedazzled by the power and torque and engine character (going from all the hype on the reviews) and it just left me feeling... yeah... cold! Yes bucket loads of power and torque at low revs but quickly ran out of puff at higher revs. Felt like I was constantly having to change UP (not DOWN) gears to get any thrills and just didn't rev out and feel anywhere near as racy as the MT10. I've only ridden a handful of V-twins before and none of them were as powerful as the 1290. So I dunno, maybe V-twins just aren't for me! Or maybe it would grow on me if I lived with it for more than an hour's test ride? I just love the fact that the crossplane on the MT10 gives the best of both worlds of both low down grumbly grunt AND being able to rev it out while still pulling all the way through the rev range until it's screaming at the top end. The 1290 just didn't seem to have any guts at higher revs and all other traditional inline 4s have no guts down low.

So I've come to the conclusion that perhaps only the following engine configurations are capable of satisfying my itch:
Triples
Crossplane inline 4s
V4s

I think any kind of twin and bog standard fours are out the window for me now. They're just one extreme or the other.

I've never ridden a triple or a V4 but I understand their characteristics are similar to the crossplane 4 (in as much as giving the best of both worlds). Would that be a fair or accurate statement or am I talking out of my arse?

I actually think the GSX-S1000F is a good-looking bike and the newer GT is even better (especially in that bright blue they do). Not sure I can live with a 'boring' inline 4 though.

And yes the fuel economy on my MT10 is woeful! Tank size doesn't help either. I get 120 miles from the brim to dry so stopping every 100 miles or so. Bit of a chore when travelling to south of France!

I'm with you on the Yam XSRs and the Kwak RSs though! Especially the green and gold Kwaks. They're pretty bikes. But I don't buy a bike for its looks! Bikes aren't for looking at. That's what women are for.

I like the Tuono as well but the last guy I knew who had one is a bellend so kinda put me off.

grr666 wrote:
I went for brand new because I'm not particularly mechanically minded and wouldn't have a clue if I was buying a pup
on the second hand market and if I did I'd have to pay someone to put that right. A decent warranty,the option to buy
3 years gap insurance (which I did), two years free recovery, no need for MOT until late 2025. It all adds up.

I done the same but it was more for price reasons. I paid £13,000 for mine brand new in 2021. The cheapest used one I could find anywhere was £11,500 for 2017 models. What the actual fuck? Parting with an extra £1,500 was a no-brainer in itself. Like you say, add in all those extra perks you've listed above, all adds to the experience.

Funny how you can buy a bike (or a car for that matter) for, say, £10,000. £2,000 of that is VAT so the bike is actually only £8,000. Sell it the next day with 10 miles on the clock for £9,500 no VAT.

I've always thought depreciation should be MINIMUM 20% as soon as it leaves the showroom door. It seldom is. Seeing as most of us can't claim the VAT back on our bikes, it makes a compelling argument to buy new when used prices are so bloody high.

grr666 wrote:
I whipped off the stock mirrors and bar weights and replaced them with the Oberon bar end
mirrors that used to reside on the Spacker. They aren't ideal but the stock efforts were a bit vibey anyway and no
matter how much I faffed about with them most of the lens was filled with a spectacular view of my own arms.

Each to their own but I have never been a fan of bar end mirrors. Effectively having to look down at your handle bars to see behind you. Traditional mirrors are my preference, when they work!

I got extended stock mirrors for mine. You can buy them from Wemoto. They come as the whole mirror units. But you can see the quality of the mounting bits are clearly inferior to the original items. So a good hack is to unscrew the stalks and swap them over. That way you get extended mirrors with the OEM quality. Can't say I ever had any problems with vibration on mine. I'm sure you're already aware of this anyway but you can also get risers/extenders that at the base to bring them up and/or outwards. Not the best looking solution but more functional than bar ends, I find. Just a thought.

dave001 wrote:
I stick in A when i want to go mental but its to twitch in traffic rarelly in A

Mine is same as yours and mine isn't twitchy in mode A. I leave it in mode A all the time actually. But I have had a dyno tune / remap. Have you got an aftermarket exhaust on there? This could have changed the way the throttle responds.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 07 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
just checked the power modes are still the same on the new SP as the older ones

all they do is change how agressive the thrrottle is and dont limet power

https://www.rideapart.com/reviews/603885/2022-yamaha-mt-10-review/

Quote:
Similar to the 2021 MT-09 and 2022 XSR900, Team Blue bids adieu to its old three-setting ride mode system (A, B, and C) in favor of four fine-tuned settings (1, 2, 3, and 4). The first three options all arrive at the MT’s maximum output of 164 horsepower (at 11,500 rpm) and 82.6 lb-ft of torque (at 9,000 rpm); they just take different routes to get there, with throttle response softening as numerical order ascends. When the forecast calls for precipitation, the fourth mode limits both power and acceleration to preserve purchase.

I've read in a few places that mode 4 does also restrict power. It certainly felt like it when I rode it that way.
I've had it on mode 2 since leaving the dealer and had no problem with the bike in general, I was just being
over cautious on my first (and hopefully last) couple of rides in the wet. I am a fair weather fairy and like to
keep a spotless bike. Mode 4 felt so gutless I wondered if there was something wrong with the bike Laughing it
spins along so effortlessly usually.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2