BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help! Stranded in Oaxaca!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty good find. Worth checking the water pump impellor and it's easy eough to do. It would explain all of the symptoms, even the fan not kicking in.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
You're in a hot country and you say the fan hasn't been switching on. I would get the mchanic to check that first. No sense fixing the result without eliminating the cause.

Okay, so the fan not going on will cause the engine to overheat... But how quickly?

Someone else mentioned that they didnt think that the fan failing to activate would cause the engine to overheat within 10-15 minutes...

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:41 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Right, so its a Vx250 beemer clone.
never heard of Italika before and whilst googling couldn't find a liquid cooled one.
Found this youtube in Spanish of a guy doing an oil change but it does show the double rads with pissy wee fans, the coolnat pump down on the RH side of the engine and the fans thermo switch at the bottom of the LH rad
( the coolant temp gauge sender will on the main block)

You could bridge the thermo switch with with a manual ON/OFF switch to have the fans 'on demand' but I fear you may have a warped head already bodged with sealant.
Not sure where the thermostat is, but as said, you could probably run without one in Mexico.

On the upside, as they make them in Mexico spares shouldn't be a problem but from what you say, finding a competent mechanic may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcN4GO3Y8Zk

I see from another video its very similar to the Zongshen RX3
which has the thermostat and temp sender in the pipework not on the engine block.

Only glanced at this next vid but it appears he might have broken coolant pump impellor ?
that'll make it boil up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNYhrO8rJk

Wow... Interesting theory... Coolant pump impellor? Do you think that it could be that and not the fact that the fans arent coming on when they should?

By the way, this might be helpful, this diagram shows the different components of the engine -

https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/GrupoNuevo.aspx?Seccion=0HrvMDGGUrizGYeXVSb4.A--&modeloid=ZK3w8gRb.SAz3TF0FWy.FQ--&modelo=FYVxT1BhH0iS5AMbHh3kaA--&Categoria=1FBWzqSbgZYTNXITnmNs6Q--&linea=KcmGMhaMYj6yDeRzk.6jfQ--&pais=U8siFI_qfeptYDfOEdBOaQ--&cilindraje=wUg160DEhfaNZg.FaA6vug--&anio=5dDuOT7BF8iV9jcRETO0gw--&color=ZWXsWMRP2A3yeKze1MxWyg--&ptamanio=SgdnYHWSgkrC3zkz.oigrg--

This link includes all parts (brakes, electrical, etc) - https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/Index.aspx

(search Adventure 2021 VX250)

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:46 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

canada2chiapas wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
Right, so its a Vx250 beemer clone.
never heard of Italika before and whilst googling couldn't find a liquid cooled one.
Found this youtube in Spanish of a guy doing an oil change but it does show the double rads with pissy wee fans, the coolnat pump down on the RH side of the engine and the fans thermo switch at the bottom of the LH rad
( the coolant temp gauge sender will on the main block)

You could bridge the thermo switch with with a manual ON/OFF switch to have the fans 'on demand' but I fear you may have a warped head already bodged with sealant.
Not sure where the thermostat is, but as said, you could probably run without one in Mexico.

On the upside, as they make them in Mexico spares shouldn't be a problem but from what you say, finding a competent mechanic may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcN4GO3Y8Zk

I see from another video its very similar to the Zongshen RX3
which has the thermostat and temp sender in the pipework not on the engine block.

Only glanced at this next vid but it appears he might have broken coolant pump impellor ?
that'll make it boil up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNYhrO8rJk

Wow... Interesting theory... Coolant pump impellor? Do you think that it could be that and not the fact that the fans arent coming on when they should?

By the way, this might be helpful, this diagram shows the different components of the engine -

https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/GrupoNuevo.aspx?Seccion=0HrvMDGGUrizGYeXVSb4.A--&modeloid=ZK3w8gRb.SAz3TF0FWy.FQ--&modelo=FYVxT1BhH0iS5AMbHh3kaA--&Categoria=1FBWzqSbgZYTNXITnmNs6Q--&linea=KcmGMhaMYj6yDeRzk.6jfQ--&pais=U8siFI_qfeptYDfOEdBOaQ--&cilindraje=wUg160DEhfaNZg.FaA6vug--&anio=5dDuOT7BF8iV9jcRETO0gw--&color=ZWXsWMRP2A3yeKze1MxWyg--&ptamanio=SgdnYHWSgkrC3zkz.oigrg--

This link includes all parts (brakes, electrical, etc) - https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/Index.aspx

(search Adventure 2021 VX250)

Heres the link for the cooling system -

https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/DetGrupo.aspx?Grupo=15&Tipo=E&Seccion=8&Modeloid=1576&modelo=VX250&Categoria=19&linea=2&pais=1&ptamanio=1024&nomseccion=Motor&cilindraje=250&anio=2021&color=21&nomgrupo=Sistema%20Refrigerante&Envio=ImgExplosiva

This link is in Spanish but your browser can translate the page for you....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:52 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

canada2chiapas wrote:

Okay, so the fan not going on will cause the engine to overheat... But how quickly?

Depends on how fast you are going. Walking pace, about 3 minutes....

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:54 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
That was a pretty good find. Worth checking the water pump impellor and it's easy eough to do. It would explain all of the symptoms, even the fan not kicking in.

Do you think that I should just replace the water pump then?

I am planning to order a number of parts in the next couple of days, maybe I should add a water pump to the list...

Head Gasket - https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/DetMaterial.aspx?Prod=416058&Material=E02010134&UnidadVta=1&Categoria=19&linea=2&pais=1&ptamanio=1024&modeloid=1576&modelo=VX250&cilindraje=250&anio=2021&color=21&Seccion=8&nomseccion=Motor&Grupo=2&Tipo=E&nomgrupo=Cabeza%20de%20Cilindro&Envio=ImgExplosiva

Temperature Sensor - https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/DetMaterial.aspx?Prod=416264&Material=E15040008&UnidadVta=1&Categoria=19&linea=2&pais=1&ptamanio=1024&modeloid=1576&modelo=VX250&cilindraje=250&anio=2021&color=21&Seccion=8&nomseccion=Motor&Grupo=15&Tipo=E&nomgrupo=Sistema%20Refrigerante&Envio=ImgExplosiva

Thermostat - https://refaccionesitalika.com.mx/Publico/DetMaterial.aspx?Prod=416268&Material=E15020034&UnidadVta=1&Categoria=19&linea=2&pais=1&ptamanio=1024&modeloid=1576&modelo=VX250&cilindraje=250&anio=2021&color=21&Seccion=8&nomseccion=Motor&Grupo=15&Tipo=E&nomgrupo=Sistema%20Refrigerante&Envio=ImgExplosiva

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:57 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
canada2chiapas wrote:

Depends on how fast you are going. Walking pace, about 3 minutes....

Okay, so all my problems could potentially be caused by the fan not going on? Okay, I guess thats good news... If thats true that I guess I would be getting ahead of myself to try messing around with anything else then...

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:07 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Cool Story Bro Laughing
Sounds a bit like head gasket to me and it has probably warped it slightly so new gasket alone soon fails. That could be fixed but not easy in a small remote town.
Depending on the model a replacement reconditioned engine might be an option.
Or look out for something else to carry on with and just sell it, depending on funds situation.

I would have thought you might have travel insurance will get the bike (and you) home if that was what it comes to.

So you think that the motor itself is likely warped and isnt repairable? How would I go about investigating this possibility?

Given the fact that the first mechanic used sealant and that fix didnt work, you may be on to something... but maybe only the head gasket needs to be replaced...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a hot country I would not expect you to get 15 minutes into any journey without the fan coming on. Once you're past the point of that being requied, overheating will come very quickly.

As for the watr pump - inspecting it is but a few minutes work. Pull the water pump cover and just look at it. If it looks intact then it'll be fine. If the impellor is sitting loose under the cover plate, you have found your problem. You'll need a new gasket either way.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't convinced by the 'warning light' part of this story.
On a modern EFI bike what cheap bastards wouldn't fit a temp gauge?
So.
I just watched vid of a guy showing off his VX250 and he mentions and points to a 'temperatura' thingy and its clearly on the RH side of the LCD with the fuel level on the LH side.

[url]https://youtu.be/zOFiXMu7YwU?t=567[img]

I think we can accept it's overheating but why?

If you're losing coolant past the rad cap but the gauge looks normal or low
then this could be due to the pump not circulating coolant as suggested, a quick check will be useful.

Fans not cutting in may be due to a faulty thermo switch but as before you can easily over ride them with a simple switch which
can be handy even if you do change the switch

fan thermo switches wont/cant cut in if the coolant hasn't been pumped past them by a faulty pump so another reason the check it

there is also the possibility it has a blown head gasket
and/or cracked block but lets not borrow trouble just yet.

Pics of what you've got and concise accurate descriptions will
result in better quality guesses and suggestions from forum users

test dont guess OK?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang on, 2021 bike?
Italika's site mentions a warranty of 2 years and 20,000 kms
cant you just send the bugger back?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
hang on, 2021 bike?

Not any more...

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 20 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
hang on, 2021 bike?

Not any more...

Ahh
Because someone's been in there fiddling with it I suppose?

canada2chiapa...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:05 - 21 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
hang on, 2021 bike?

I have inquired in a few different spots about the warranty and no one seems to think that it is very likely that Ill be able to get it... I think Id have to fight for it...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 24 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexican Stand off.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 25 Dec 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan switch may have failed, but unless you are stopped at a lot of traffic lights on your way out of town, it should not matter. The fan comes on to pass air through the radiator when you are stopped. Underway, any speed above 30 kph should pass enough air through the radiator to keep the engine cool. If the fan comes on when at speed, something is wrong.

The cap passing coolant indicates the cooling system pressure exceeds the rating of the cap. Could be a blown head gasket or could be low coolant flow.

If it is the head gasket, the pressure should be building very quickly after engine start. That is, you would see high cooling system pressure on a relatively cold engine. You could attempt a leak-down test: apply shop air to the cylinder (via the spark plug hole) when the piston is at TDC compression stroke. If the cooling system pressurized, that is a sure sign of head gasket failure. Some head gasket failures only manifest at normal engine temperature, so the leak down would be best performed on a hot engine.

Poor coolant circulation will also lead to high cooling system pressure. Could be failed water pump, or a restriction to coolant flow elsewhere in the system. Probably not a bad idea to check the radiator and coolant hoses for flow restriction. Remove the water pump and check the condition of the impeller. Intake restriction could result in cavitation, eroding the impeller to the point of ineffectiveness.

Finally, the engine thermostat will direct coolant to a bypass line that recirculates cold coolant directly back to the water pump when below the temperature range of the 'stat. Within the temperature range, the thermostat directs coolant to the radiator and to the bypass line proportionally to engine temperature. Once engine temperature reaches the top of the thermostat range, the 'stat directs all of the coolant to the radiator. Removing the thermostat will not cause the engine to run cooler, because without the thermostat, some of the coolant will always bypass the radiator. The engine will be slow to warm up, and then run hot.

PabloMejor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:07 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Possible Online resources in English Reply with quote

I hope your motorcycle is fixed by now. If you web search China riders you will forum on the American version of your bike. It is called CSC RX 3 by the American importer. The China riders group is extremely helpful. You might locate a bilingual motorcycle enthusiast who could help.

Pablo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Italika VX-250 head gasket Reply with quote

canada2chiapas wrote:
Basically a knockoff BMW.

Hmm.. style wise perhaps but I reckon the Italika VX250 and the CSC Rx3
are rebadged versions of the Zongshen RX3 with some cosmetic tweaks

CSC RX3
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fridermagazine.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F08%2F2016-CSC-RX3-silver.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=be9f9f47b6f9459ed55937d0e0cdbdba40420300953ff4fefc640dfab84135a1&ipo=images

Italika VX250

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.PCWGm6eYhNT8FnuQsEtkJgHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=684e8ff1d59ed8829428e61df00862ea337007a997281c2d982092606a4724f2&ipo=images

Zongshen RX3

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi1.wp.com%2Fcanadamotoguide.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F11%2F2015-Zongshen-RX3-31.jpg%3Ffit%3D720%252C479%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d10b431d092f504578a0ad9e3d47522d02d2b58215b646c25c968bf6dcad633f&ipo=images
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2