Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2T crankshaft seal failure - what are the signs..?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: 2T crankshaft seal failure - what are the signs..? Reply with quote

My GT250 is from 1976 as far as I know it will not have has the seals changed or the crankshaft rebuilt. When I first started to run it I added some seal conditioner to the g/box and the 2T oil since it had been stood for a minimum of 15 years, who knows if t helped..

I've probably put less than 1000 mile on it in the past 3 years since then but it starts OK (always about 4th kick) now I've replaced the coils points etc..

It IS slow on the pick-up however and you need to give it a good handful at the lights to prevent looking an idiot... after that it runs pretty well BUT it tops out at an indicated 75-80 MPH, although I don't think the speedo is off the bike so may not be that accurate Thinking

Anyhow when I acquired it I did think it would have to rebuild the crank but now I'm in two minds.. I don't need the top end - I've other bikes for going faster, longer but the (lack of) pick-up is a little annoying.

Thoughts?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stood for 15 years? It needs new seals.

You could see a few different symptoms. Lack of compression, water in the crank case, oil in the water, loss of gearbox oil etc. Depends on the design of the engine and which crank seal goes first I guess?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Stood for 15 years? It needs new seals.

You could see a few different symptoms. Lack of compression, water in the crank case, oil in the water, loss of gearbox oil etc. Depends on the design of the engine and which crank seal goes first I guess?

Thanks.. it's aircooled so no water to inspect. no signs of blowing past on the LHS (generator) or excessive smoking on teh RHS which might indicate a leak of g/box oil into the CC. The ouput shaft (front sprocket) seal (of same ear is still good too, well not leaking, but I guess less pressure to hold.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:19 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my RS125 it had stood for a year, it started fine, it rode home fine, the next day it was in need of engine work Laughing

I'm no 2 stroke smartie, but seals and rubber in general just go bad, they dry out, crack, when in use it'll just give up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 year old rubber seal? Gonna need changing IMO.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I'm probably in denial, but I was also wondering in the symptoms are consistent with crankshaft seal(s).

The lack of top end I can live with - it's the pick-up that is more bothersome

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest worry about doing this work would be do the middle seals as that means pressing the crank apart. If you're going to do that you might as well get a replacement middle bearing also.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
My biggest worry about doing this work would be do the middle seals as that means pressing the crank apart. If you're going to do that you might as well get a replacement middle bearing also.

Indeed so. A full crank rebuild would be needed I think, cost about 300 quid from what I can tell.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending which seal is actually leaking symptoms could be different.

As mentioned- gearbox oil disapearing? It is particularly smokey? Can be hard to tell. Drain all the oil and measure- put it back, then give it a few hundred miles I suppose - drain and re-measure? I know a small drop of oil can make a lot of smoke, so can take time to give meaningful reading the 2nd time it is dumped and measured.

Generator side? Idle is good and even and doesn't deviate? If an air leak i'd suspect the throttle might actually be more oomfy due to potential lean condition? At that- might not even be- air leaks can come from the barrel to crankcase connection or carburettor inlet either side of the inlet.

All that said, and ideally old seals that have been left standing isn't perfect. But if it runs fine, doesn't hunt or hang high at idle and the spark plugs look pretty good, and the oil measurement checks out- maybe the carburettor/s just need to be tuned to give you a bit more of what you want?

Raising the main needles just a single notch, or richening the fuel pilot screws can provide possibilities for a more willing take off.. I take it your tune is standard according to the book? Perhaps experiment? Doing small adustments can make a big difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the outer seals then you'll either be burning gearbox oil (or the gearbox oil will smell of petrol), or you'll have oil mist on the generator side. Centre seal failure (unless it dies completely) is hard to diagnose short of doing a leakdown test.

Sounds fucked anyway - my X5 will do 75-80mph, I would expect most vintages of GT250 to be able to show 90mph on the clock.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
If it's the outer seals then you'll either be burning gearbox oil (or the gearbox oil will smell of petrol), or you'll have oil mist on the generator side. Centre seal failure (unless it dies completely) is hard to diagnose short of doing a leakdown test.

Sounds fucked anyway - my X5 will do 75-80mph, I would expect most vintages of GT250 to be able to show 90mph on the clock.

Yeah, mostly what I've been thinking.. Has your X5 had a crank rebuild? got to be about 40+ years old too, right?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I prefer shaft drive mowers.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Yeah, mostly what I've been thinking.. Has your X5 had a crank rebuild? got to be about 40+ years old too, right?

It’s had two crank rebuilds, the second one because the centre seal failed at about 2000 miles (possibly been installed the wrong way round by the company that built the crank).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1