Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Registering a parts donor bike with no V5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

KernowMX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:19 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Registering a parts donor bike with no V5 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just purchased a spares & repairs version of my current bike to use a bunch of the parts. The bike didn't have a V5 and the owner is unknown (guy I bought it from was doing a house clearance).

It was a couple of hundred quid and completely knackered so not a huge investment and the hpi check all came back with nothing bad attached, so I took a punt.

My question is, do I need to register it and wait to hear back from dvla before stripping the parts?

Thanks for your wisdom!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:26 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally. Yes. You have to register a change of owner and you also have to inform the DVLA if a vehicle is being permanantly dismantled.

Pratically. no. If you never intend to put that frame back on the road again, they don't know you have it.

Of you could apply for a logbook with a V62 form then SORN it. That'll cost you £25 from memory. A useable frame with a V5 is generally worth something.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what if it comes back from DVLA that the bike was stolen at some point in the past?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:11 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
But what if it comes back from DVLA that the bike was stolen at some point in the past?

He says he HPIed it so the police would come round and confiscate it and you'd claim your money back off the HPI firm.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
He says he HPIed it

Sorry, missed that! Embarassed

KernowMX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:46 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'll go ahead with the V62 and follow the steps from there.

I did read that there is a difference between the keeper and registered owner. If a V5 doesn't mean you own the bike, but it's an old barn find, if the original owner ever did come back would they be able to take it back? (the bike is in a very poor state with loads of parts missing)

That would suck after spending a good few months if I had to take the bits back off my bike and fit them to the old frame to give back!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:04 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KernowMX wrote:
Thanks for the info! I'll go ahead with the V62 and follow the steps from there.

I did read that there is a difference between the keeper and registered owner. If a V5 doesn't mean you own the bike, but it's an old barn find, if the original owner ever did come back would they be able to take it back? (the bike is in a very poor state with loads of parts missing)

That would suck after spending a good few months if I had to take the bits back off my bike and fit them to the old frame to give back!

Well, it would be their bike.

However, I don't think they are that nuianced when it comes to confiscating bikes. My impression is they take the frame and everything attached to it. What's annoying is if you've spent a lot of time, money and effort fixing up a shitter and they come and seize it, taking all your new parts with it. That's happened to a couple of my mates.

However, you've HPIed it. The HPI company usually cover you for that eventuality.

KernowMX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stinkwheel, so if the parts were all on my bike, does that mean they would just take the old frame? And then what if that was sold on?

Ha, so many questions and eventualities.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 18 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are you buying the bike from?

From your questions, it sounds like you are not buying from the previous owner

Whoever, if you are buying it from the owner, a recipt is a perfectly acceptable way to show you are now the new owner

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your OP, i see the issue now

Did you get a recipt though, and surely the guy doing the house clearance must have permission to sell all the items in the property

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:01 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVLA are fuckwits at the best of times. They don't know you've got the bike, and it's never going back on the road so why risk the very real possibility of grief arising from their involvement?

If it was me I would strip the bike clean, obliterate the frame number, cut up said frame and chuck it in the metal recycling skip at the tip. Job done Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
The DVLA are fuckwits at the best of times. They don't know you've got the bike, and it's never going back on the road so why risk the very real possibility of grief arising from their involvement?

If it was me I would strip the bike clean, obliterate the frame number, cut up said frame and chuck it in the metal recycling skip at the tip. Job done Thumbs Up

I'd do that as well. Do not get involved with a convoluted discussion with the DVLA unless you absolutly have to. At best it will cost you money somewhere down the line. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well wouldn't ye know it?

DVLA have a section to cover this very subject.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/when-a-motor-vehicle-is-waste

They call a vehicle to be scrapped an ELV (end of life vehicle).

Which makes it a cost to the keeper
to dispose of it 'legally'.

Angle grinder will work.

KernowMX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:47 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

crikey, well now I don't know what to do! I'm actually crapping myself as I bought without a V5 and didn't get a receipt, which after reading up is absolutely retarded. I have the previous sellers name and know where he works/ lives etc, it all seemed genuine to me at the time.

I've been down all kinds of rabbit holes about handling stolen goods without knowing etc, now am stressing my nads off.

All I wanted was the forks, but it looks like I may have opened a can of worms!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:45 - 19 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KernowMX wrote:
crikey, well now I don't know what to do! I'm actually crapping myself as I bought without a V5 and didn't get a receipt, which after reading up is absolutely retarded. I have the previous sellers name and know where he works/ lives etc, it all seemed genuine to me at the time.

I've been down all kinds of rabbit holes about handling stolen goods without knowing etc, now am stressing my nads off.

All I wanted was the forks, but it looks like I may have opened a can of worms!

Don't worry about it. If you don't tell the DVLA you have it, they don't know you have it and are unlikely to ever find out unless you put that frame back on the road.

I just bought two bikes last weekend with no V5, cash sale. One of them is of relatively known provenance and I'll be registering that. The other is totally unknown. I'll be HPI-ing that before I admit to having it, if the HPI comes back bad, it's getting chopped to bits and weighed in. It's just a bare frame anyway and will remain so until I've found out more about it in case the HPI triggers a knock at the door (which it could because i'll have to get a trader to do it due to unknown registration number).

KernowMX
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:02 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Stinkwheel, i'm new to all this, only just passed my cbt. if i sold it on quickly would the DVLa arrest me for not registering it?? I don't have the tools to cut up a frame

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:14 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KernowMX wrote:
Thanks again Stinkwheel, i'm new to all this, only just passed my cbt. if i sold it on quickly would the DVLa arrest me for not registering it?? I don't have the tools to cut up a frame

DVLA have no power of arrest, so no they wouldn't.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KernowMX wrote:
if i sold it on quickly would the DVLa arrest me for not registering it??

The DVLA can't arrest anybody, they are a private company which is part of capita plc. They can prosecute people for not informing them of a change of details/owner or for not paying tax.

I suppose in theory, it's the person who sold it to you who committed an offence by not notifying them of a change of owner.

However, and this is the important bit, they don't know you have it and have no way of finding out unless you tell them. If it's not being put on the road, that state of affairs will continue indefinately. What it boils down to is nobody is really interested in a scrap frame in your shed that's not going on the road. If you were the registered keeper, they'd try to make you tax or SORN it or would try to fine you for not doing so. But since you're not the registered keeper, that's not going to happen.

Chill, use your parts bike for parts. Just don't try to put it back on the road.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The DVLA (sic) are a private company which is part of capita plc.

Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KernowMX wrote:
I don't have the tools to cut up a frame

Got a spare £6.99?

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-hacksaw/p63460

Otherwise council tips usually have BIG metal recycling bins. In a couple of days it will be a central heating radiator (or something)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

KernowMX wrote:

How would DVLA even know you've got it? You're seriously over-thinking this.

An angle grinder will make short work of the frame number and the frame itself, plus they are an indispensable tool to have in your arsenal. Toolstation sell them for £20 Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great for when your chain is fucked as well.

B1N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:31 - 21 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it away to somone else, look on facebook for a local scrap metal collector or put it up on Freecycle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1