Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Holiday advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Holiday advice Reply with quote

Coming up to April Easter holidays and I have the opportunity to take my daughter away for a holiday - just the 2 of us.
I'd like a cheap break, preferably somewhere warm. I've been looking into offers by the usual holiday companies and coming up with 4-7 nights self catering for around £600-£800 for both of us in places like Spain or Portugal.

Anyone got any advice/recommendations on getting better deals, or different places to go? Ideally want to be near the sea so we can go swimming. Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid Turkey. Lots of cheap deals for there but not a place I'd like to take a daughter to.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:00 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Holiday advice Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Coming up to April Easter holidays and I have the opportunity to take my daughter away for a holiday - just the 2 of us.
I'd like a cheap break, preferably somewhere warm. I've been looking into offers by the usual holiday companies and coming up with 4-7 nights self catering for around £600-£800 for both of us in places like Spain or Portugal.

Anyone got any advice/recommendations on getting better deals, or different places to go? Ideally want to be near the sea so we can go swimming. Thumbs Up

Sounds about right price wise, but personally I'd go half board and steal food from breakfast for my lunch. £600 for 2 for 7 nights is a good deal nowadays however you cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:12 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Portugal recently and stayed in Faro itself instead of heading out into the Algarve resorts. People fly into Faro for golfing holidays but go off for the big sandy beaches and resorts in ther algarve itself so there are regular cheap flights out there. It was a nice wee town but people don't stay there because it doesn't have a beach front. instead it hads the rio fomosa which is a tidal estury/marsh area teaming with wildlife. We went on a guided MTB tour round it and explored in in sit-on-top kayaks. If you want a sandy beach, you can get opn a bus to the beach, get a boat out to one of several "desert islands" or paddle out to the mouth of the rio.

Lots of nice places to eat in the town. I would also highly recommend the walking food tour which takes in the fish market and several hidden gems of places to eat.

Also hires an enfield from a company called "soulful bikes" for a couple of days and explored up in the nearby mountains and high sierra.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Haul Flight but Canaries are great and you can aye find a cheap family deal.

Flailing that, ask at a travel agents. Sometimes the folk in those places can find you a good deal too.

Murika Florida... Long Haul again.

Or fly up to Glasgow and stay in your hotel for a week. Like Scottish folk do coz the weather is Driech.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your daughter? (for the purposes of this thread Laughing )
I havent been to Turkey (yet) but I agree with Grrr to some extent.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've not heard good things about Turkey either.
Italy city Centre's is another one that comes up with the cheap deals - think we'd rather be nearer a beach though.

My daughter is 14 and not quite left the 'can only eat chicken nuggets and chips, anything naturally grown is evil!' phase yet. So though I love the idea of food tours and trying restaurants, I think we'll be sticking to the basics. Rolling Eyes Canaries would be ace!
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:58 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Canaries and the US will be too expensive. What you really want is Greek islands, maybe Balearics? Greece is cheap because the EU has done them over for debt so they are desperate for foreign cash. The Euro vs the £ hasn't helped, but things there are generally reasonably priced in Euros to try to entice tourists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I’ve got to suggest Cyprus innit - seeing as we live here.

Paphos or Ayia Napa cater for tourists particularly families. Plenty of beaches, tavernas, restaurants, shops, water parks etc. Sea won’t be all that warm but the weather will be at Easter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galicia, Spain. Not a tourist destination so relativly cheap but it's a sea foody heaven place with lots of history.

I'm not sure what packages you get for round there but you could get a ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao if you wanted to drive and book a hotel yourself. I love A Coruna and it's also a short hop to Portugal if you have a car.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

My daughter is 14...

DEFINITELY not Turkey.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:25 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would discount America unless you have another 1k minimum to add to that 6/800.

Tenerife is a nice break but it's not really teen catered. They do have a water park and they do have basic food, but short of that it's more 30s fun.

South of Spain is always a good call but personally I prefer Florida, it's been my only destination for so many years, but it costs a bit more.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search on travelsupermarket shows you'll get 4 nights all inclusive in a hotel on Malta or Cyprus for around that much flying out of Manchester.

I suggest these because they will be warm, they're all inclusive and they will very much cater for a picky 14 year old who doesn't want to eat foreign muck. They also widely speak English. English being one of the official languages on Malta.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact about Malta, the whole island was awarded the George Cross.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Fun fact about Malta, the whole island was awarded the George Cross.

Not so fun fact about Malta.

The Maltesers who worked baggage at Lija Airport had the filthy habit of poking a biro into luggage zips to remove heavy items. (Arabs that wear covered-in sandals.)

Almost every hitch one of our crew was hit.
So we ended up carrying most stuff in carry-on.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordinarily I'd say Kefalonia as it'll do everything you want. Easy and cheap to fly to, lovely beaches everywhere, cheap accommodation, cheap food / beer, and loads to go and see relatively cheaply. But the weather might not be what you want it to be, at that point in the year. May it'll be in the 20's, April it's generally a bit cooler - usually around the 17's in the day.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went pula in Croatia last May and it was great, not particularly cold (might be warmer near Split) and the people weren't begging you at every corner like you get in Turkey/ Greece occasionally
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hate beggars Puke
I'm afraid I get a bit up-meself when it comes to beggars. Rolling Eyes

In London they're a plague Brick Wall
But I would still give a fiver to the right person ... if it suited me.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Fucking hate beggars Puke
I'm afraid I get a bit up-meself when it comes to beggars. Rolling Eyes

In London they're a plague Brick Wall
But I would still give a fiver to the right person ... if it suited me.

Tunisia was terrible for it, people pretending to be from your hotel to show you places, grabbing your bags at the airport to take them to the transfer , ruins the holiday
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beggers in Prague at the Tourist Haunts.

Take the biscuits.

Kneeling down on the pavement with their heads bowed down on the ground.

I was always concerned that I'd accidentally hoof one of them when walking past them.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This brings to mind a comical moment of my previous career, wherein I had banished a punter for smacking a girl's bottom on the way in the front door.

He begged me to let him back in, pulling at my skirt and cowering, saying "Please sister!" over and over again. But I was having none of it.

There were young ladies in the flat upstairs as well, peering out the front window, all they could see what this mad uzbeckistani kneeling at my feet, and my hand pointing down the stairs in banishment.

Ok that was one beggar I thought was quite entertaining. Thinking

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
MCN wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This brings to mind a comical moment of my previous career, wherein I had banished a punter for smacking a girl's bottom on the way in the front door.

He begged me to let him back in, pulling at my skirt and cowering, saying "Please sister!" over and over again. But I was having none of it.

There were young ladies in the flat upstairs as well, peering out the front window, all they could see what this mad uzbeckistani kneeling at my feet, and my hand pointing down the stairs in banishment.

Ok that was one beggar I thought was quite entertaining. Thinking

Can't be a true story.

Uzbekistan is a Muesli kuntry....
They have very strict rules in the Kooran against extramarital secks....

Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt takes the biscuit for beggers/thieves/scumbags. My most hated country in the world I have been to.

Going through the Suez canal the boatmen used to try every cabin door to find stuff to nick. Just going ashore in the bum boat used to cost you 200 fags or they would totally ignore you when you wanted to come back (this was after being paid by the ships agent.

Airports, hotels, taxi's 'baksheesh, baksheesh? You have present for me?' Evil or Very Mad

Wifie wants to go see the pyramids. I told her she can go with friends as the only reason I'd have going to Egypt would be to plant a nuclear device in the middle of Cairo and do the world a favour..

Scummy scummy country.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Can't be a true story.
Uzbekistan is a Muesli kuntry....
They have very strict rules in the Kooran against extramarital secks....
Laughing

I'm sure that's the case, but I can promise you that it is a true story.
We had quite a lot of adventures in that place, I was there 6 years at least.
I still have at least one friend who would corroborate it, as she was there at the time, and she still teases me to this day.

Perhaps he wasn't directly from that country, but certainly "from the region". It was Ilford, after all Laughing

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a shame some countries are so off-putting, I've seen and heard of begging problems in Egypt and the like - that's why I avoid them too.

I found a hotel in the end in Benidorm, seemed ok but by the time luggage, transfer, insurance etc was added I was looking at £1k for 4 nights all inclusive. I could get another Fazer for that!

So ended up booking a Centre Parcs for half the price instead, and it means I actually get some much needed exercise. Just need to find a roof rack for my Fabia now so I can take the bikes! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2