Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glasses and prescriptions and shit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 Jan 2023    Post subject: Glasses and prescriptions and shit Reply with quote

Went for my decennial eye test and I've got a few noobish questions.

Above is my prescription from 2013 and below my current one:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/perscription.png
So I've gone from slightly long-sighted to short sighted with less astigmatism? On the new one the blank under CYL on the left eye indicates 0?

Also I partly went for a test as I've started developing a lazy eye, but they didn't seem fussed by it or offer any guidance.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:18 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Glasses and prescriptions and shit Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Above is my prescription from 2013 and below my current one:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/perscription.png
So I've gone from slightly long-sighted to short sighted with less astigmatism? On the new one the blank under CYL on the left eye indicates 0?

Also I partly went for a test as I've started developing a lazy eye, but they didn't seem fussed by it or offer any guidance.

I don't have my glasses on.
Do you know who the father is?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

should have gone to speck savers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.goggles4u.co.uk/understanding_rx?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Glasses and prescriptions and shit Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Got to ask - did you notice a period about 5years ago when you didn't need your glasses at all?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Glasses and prescriptions and shit Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
https://www.goggles4u.co.uk/understanding_rx?

You might have noticed I did actually explain what I think the prescription meant indicating I had looked it up. My question (as a noob) was regarding going from slightly long sighted to short sighted with astigmatism seemingly decreasing, hoping someone would chime in with something helpful.

A100man wrote:
M.C wrote:

Got to ask - did you notice a period about 5years ago when you didn't need your glasses at all?

I've not worn them. I noobishly bought glasses at the eye test in 2013 and they just made me feel sick, and my vision was overall slightly worse at night where I thought they might be helpful. The anti-reflection stuff seemed to be snake oil as well.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your previous glasses did anything other than make your vision improve (and by "anything other" that includes giving headaches or causing any other irritation) then something isn't right, suggesting either they cocked up your eye test/results entering (could explain the shift in prescription) or they made an error when making your glasses (they did that with mine once and it was the astigmatism correction that was out by 90 degrees or something I think, so everything was sharp but distorted slightly).

Eye tests do rely on the person being assessed to give accurate answers to questions, so if your vision is otherwise affected that day (e.g. migraine or something) that might affect it.

Eyes do change over time, I've not heard of someone going from long-sighted to short-sighted though. If the "test specs" they have you wear meant you could read pretty much all the letters then that suggests it was correcting something, but an eye test isn't prohibitively expensive so to remove any doubt why not get another one done elsewhere and see what results you get?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Glasses and prescriptions and shit Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
...... hoping someone would chime in with something helpful.

Surely you have been here long enough to know nothing helpful ever comes out of BCF

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
If your previous glasses did anything other than make your vision improve (and by "anything other" that includes giving headaches or causing any other irritation) then something isn't right, suggesting either they cocked up your eye test/results entering (could explain the shift in prescription) or they made an error when making your glasses (they did that with mine once and it was the astigmatism correction that was out by 90 degrees or something I think, so everything was sharp but distorted slightly).

I did raise it back when I collected them and they straight away tried to sell me contact lenses, so I figured they just tried to sell you whatever. Naively I thought eye tests were a health thing.

When I said overall slightly worse I could read distant objects a bit better, but there was so much weirdness and distortion I felt like I'd crash if I drove/rode with them.

ThunderGuts wrote:
Eye tests do rely on the person being assessed to give accurate answers to questions, so if your vision is otherwise affected that day (e.g. migraine or something) that might affect it.

Tiredness/poor sleep can, I'm guessing that's normal?

ThunderGuts wrote:
Eyes do change over time, I've not heard of someone going from long-sighted to short-sighted though. If the "test specs" they have you wear meant you could read pretty much all the letters then that suggests it was correcting something, but an eye test isn't prohibitively expensive so to remove any doubt why not get another one done elsewhere and see what results you get?

I'm gonna order a couple pairs from glasses direct with their £14 offer (cheaper than a full price eye test) and see if they make any difference.

If so I'll look at getting the old ones (which were quite expensive Rolling Eyes) reglazed if it's worthwhile.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 24 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first couple of pairs of glasses from Amazon year before last. I was finding it harder to read small text and my phone, got my eyes checked and told I could do with a +1.5 - no point wasting money on my face!

My wife and daughter need prescription glasses and get new pairs every couple of years. One thing that strikes me is how they have to repeatedly go back and get the glasses altered until they fit properly.
In this day and age is it really that difficult to accurately fit glasses first time??
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you carry on doing it you will go blind!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
If you carry on doing it you will go blind!

Are we still on the same topic?

Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1