Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Todays - What Grinds my gears

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
blurredman wrote:
no posts exist for this topic Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Oh yes they do

https://i.imgur.com/2kgrzYE.png

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
recman wrote:

Oh yes they do

https://i.imgur.com/2kgrzYE.png

Cool Cool Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
No Sad

Yarp, although I will concede this may not be the last post on the subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:47 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground and oiled in equal measure today.

My 612 bullet just went for its MOT today and passed with no advisories. However they left the ignition on all morning so the battery was flat as a bannock and I had the iniquity of having to ask them for a jump starter pack.

Thinking about it though, I do have a capacitor kicking about somewhere so I might put a doube terminal on the battery connector and leave the cap in the battery box. Then if it happens again, I can hook up the capacitor to get it started... I wonder if I could leave it connected or if it would drain the battery? Sounds like a question for workshop.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

My 612 bullet just went for its MOT today and passed with no advisories. However they left the ignition on all morning so the battery was flat as a bannock and I had the iniquity of having to ask them for a jump starter pack.

Thinking about it though, I do have a capacitor kicking about somewhere so I might put a doube terminal on the battery connector and leave the cap in the battery box. Then if it happens again, I can hook up the capacitor to get it started... I wonder if I could leave it connected or if it would drain the battery? Sounds like a question for workshop.

In theory, once a capacitor is charged, it should remain so until a load causes it to lose the charge. In reality, nothing's perfect and the capacitor will leak - the spec sheet should give you an idea of this. Some capacitors will hold a massive charge for a frightening amount of time (don't ask me how I know this Laughing ).

You could put some sort of management system onto it so that when the charge drops below a certain amount, it reconnects to the battery until charged and then disconnects. You could also use this to regulate the charge rate.

It might be cheaper and easier to get one of those compact jump starter jobs and either carry it around or leave it mounted on the bike isolated until needed. It'd need a charge periodically but still...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Capacitors can Assplode Impressively if overfilled with energy/shorted.

There are fancy lectric devices that go between the positive Post and consumer that disconnect power when battery capacity/stored energy drops to 'just enough to start the hoowur'.

Don't axe me where one could procure such an item.

The caveat with this solution is of course, the more things in a system that can fail means there are more things that can fail. Shocked

Maybe this sort of a doofur...

Victron Battery Protect, 12/24V, 65A, Programmable for Mobile Home and Yacht https://amzn.eu/d/1TIqedC

60 amp should be enough to birl a bike engine over.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Capacitors can Assplode Impressively if overfilled with energy/shorted.

There are fancy lectric devices that go between the positive Post and consumer that disconnect power when battery capacity/stored energy drops to 'just enough to start the hoowur'.

Don't axe me where one could procure such an item.

The caveat with this solution is of course, the more things in a system that can fail means there are more things that can fail. Shocked

Maybe this sort of a doofur...

Victron Battery Protect, 12/24V, 65A, Programmable for Mobile Home and Yacht https://amzn.eu/d/1TIqedC

60 amp should be enough to birl a bike engine over.

You should see what happens when a pair of high voltage high capacity electrolytics are connected with the polarity reversed on a 350-0-350 DC supply.

Mount Vesuvius has nothing on it. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
It might be cheaper and easier to get one of those compact jump starter jobs and either carry it around or leave it mounted on the bike isolated until needed. It'd need a charge periodically but still...

Probably the smallest, cheapest jump pack would actually be woefully inadequate for jumping a car but fine for a bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:01 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

Probably the smallest, cheapest jump pack would actually be woefully inadequate for jumping a car but fine for a bike.

You can start a bullet on a square pp3 battery as long as you disconnect it quickly before it trys to charge it.

Done exactrly that on my Jawa 350 which had a field coil alternator and a flat battery. Jumped the pp3 battery onto the brushes and fired it up.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You can start a bullet on a square pp3 battery as long as you disconnect it quickly before it trys to charge it.

Done exactrly that on my Jawa 350 which had a field coil alternator and a flat battery. Jumped the pp3 battery onto the brushes and fired it up.

What does a PP3 and a woman's A-whole have in common?

You know it's wrong but sooner or later you touch it with your tongue.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

What does a PP3 and a woman's A-whole have in common?

You know it's wrong but sooner or later you touch it with your tongue.

Laughing I did chortle.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeding ticket, 8am on a Sunday morning, within ~100m of a 40 mph sign Rolling Eyes

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

First stage of a root canal on a lateral incisor. The first dental procedure I've had done on my "adult" teeth. Not bad for 42.

Now my nose won't stop running. Not uncommon apparently.

Bloody annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeaky and creaky office chairs.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Speeding ticket, 8am on a Sunday morning, within ~100m of a 40 mph sign Rolling Eyes

You should have been able to slow down within 100 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfunny joke aside this is what I meant:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/speed_975.jpg

You can see the detection lines at the bottom.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Unfunny joke aside this is what I meant:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/speed_975.jpg

Your own fault for not being smart enough to blur out your number plate.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:35 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Apparently, you didn't... Or are you telling us you did it on purpose?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupid head-cold which kept me in bed for most of last week is nearly done with me, I almost have my voice back.

But on the way out the door it provided me with a nasty maxillo-sinus infection, for which I blagged some antibiotics from the GP.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
M.C wrote:

Apparently, you didn't... Or are you telling us you did it on purpose?

I generally don't drive looking just past the end of my bonnet.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:04 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you didn't notice the camera painted yellow at the side of the road?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
And you didn't notice the camera painted yellow at the side of the road?

A large van was alongside so no.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:38 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the whole 200 yards approaching it that they are visible for?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
For the whole 200 yards approaching it that they are visible for?

Completely unsighted on my dashcam footage, I had to go on street view to see where the camera was.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this a road that you normally drive down or were you anticipating a speed limit that you had come across for the first time?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 174, 175, 176  Next
Page 130 of 176