BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Greasy roads?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Greasy roads? Reply with quote

I went for a quick spin yesterday only about a 10 mile round trip on teh GT250 and twice felt the back end squirm about on low speed country bends..

anyone else felt this apparent greasiness? Tyre is a newish ME22 fwiw..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salt they are using now has a component makes it stick to roads it might be based on molasses, it takes a while to wash off then ideally dry up again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Greasy roads? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I went for a quick spin yesterday only about a 10 mile round trip on teh GT250 and twice felt the back end squirm about on low speed country bends..

I had a very similar experience yesterday out in the Peaks, riding up over the tops, but i put it down to the crosswinds, though could well have been a combination of both that and the greasy roads, as when i got into some cover the bike handled fine

I even stopped on the way up as i thought something was loose or i had a flat, it felt that bad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The salt they are using now has a component makes it stick to roads it might be based on molasses, it takes a while to wash off then ideally dry up again.

Interesting I did wonder if it was a side-effect of the salting. As I crossed a road on foot yesterday evening I noticed also a distinct slipperiness.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salt also acts like a polishing compound on exposed gravel in the road surface.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salted roads are slippery... Cause wetted salt is slippery.

I don't believe the put molasses in road salt.

It's the cooncils who buy it and spread it.

I can almost hear the non-motorist polltax-ees bleating about it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/salt-more-than-just-a-household-ingredient

If a region feels a need then it may add stuff.

There is one source of rocksalt in UK. The mine is in the northern western region of Sunny England.

It's it transported by road and rail (ferries) all over the UK.

Companies can buy it and do what they will with it.
I'm not sure the council sell it. They will put a salt bin out in high risk/remote places though. I think it would be a community spirited duty for a resident to keep an eye on the bin and level of salt. Phone call to the region will get the bin topped up.

Rock salt mining, transport and use is extremely complex and possibly needs its own seasonal forum to do it justice.

It's slippery when wet and slippery even when it's dry.
The small irregularities in the road surface fill with the brine solution. A spell of dry weather before rain washes the brine down the gullies means the salt dries in the wee cracks.
Tyres don't find as much grip then.

Aggregates in tar macadam provide anti-wear and anti skid properties.

Polished roads are a thing.

The council have equipment to test road surface friction during scheduled survey.
If the road surface friction is lower than regulations allow, the road will be resurfaced. Coating of liquid tar and an Aggregate suitable for the road loading.

People take roads for granted which is a crime.

Roads and road tech is fascinating when you dig in to it.

Signs need to be in place and delays possible.

The amount of salt spread is controlled for many reasons too.
One reason is its effects on aquatic organisms in rivers, lochs, lakes, ponds, canals and anywhere it shouldn't be.

And it is extremely corrosive to everything.
It breaks up roads and bridge concrete. Over time.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molasses is indeed added to some versions of road salt; it helps it stay on the road rather than roll off as it's spread or be blown off (on this occasion, not the desired outcome). It's more expensive so isn't used universally. Unfortunately it does make the road greasier and like all road salts, because they're hydroscopic the roads tend to become naturally wet once it's been applied. I used to be involved in winter maintenance many years ago and in the days before everyone was terrified of being sued, it used to be an accepted wisdom that in sub-zero but very dry weather, it can be better to not salt at all as the road is bone dry it is grippy, irrespective of the temperature because there is no frost, whereas introducing salt will make the road damp or wet and actually make it more hazardous. I those days are gone judging by what I see and everyone "comfort salts" to cover their own backs, but in doing so make the road network a salty mess for 4 months of the year, create an environmental issue from chucking all that salt everywhere and erode the Council budgets almost as much as everyone's vehicles are corroded.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be conveniently ignored that most of the salt applied runs straight off into river systems too.
The total might not be that great when diluted, but periodically very strong solutions are entering small tributaries easily enough to kill most things off.
If a lorry loaded with salt were to tip over near a stream the EA would be out trying to soak it up with paper towels but it all goes in there anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 30 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was driving along a local unclassified lane last wednesday morning - great for bike, actually - and I was at the legal limit. I came round a slight rightward sweeper sort of bend and there was a car on its roof on the other side, half in the hedge, half in the field. A quaskai (sp?) was stopped on the road, and two women (actually mum and daughter, it turned out), standing on the verge.

I stopped a bit further on, and walked back to see if anyone was knackered. I punched the mother in the tits and did the daughter up the gary - just for old times sake. Nah - i just checked nobody was maimed and decapitated, then had a quick dekko at the car's tyres whilst it was on its roof (all well within tread depth - but obvs PSI could've been way off).

I walked onto the road to see if i could feel anything slippy or clock any iridescence of diesel or oil but there was nothing at all - nothing visible nor anything I could feel with my foot.

But, when I got nearer to my car, I did notice the last foot or so of the road edge was really greasy and without much in the way of grip at all. Again, though, nothing visible. Btw - the roads everywhere were, at that time, still totally without even a whisper of a dry line.

Interestingly, there was a car in the hedge on the same lane 1/2 a mile up the road. Then I drove it again on Saturday and there was fresh and obvious evidence of three more fucked sections of hawthorn where someone had ploughed through into the fields.

This time though there were temporary signs for slippery surface at intervals of about 400 yards or so.

I have been seeing a lot of other wrecked hedgerows - but I can't really say that it's more or less than any other winter tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I was driving along a local unclassified lane last wednesday morning - great for bike, actually - and I was at the legal limit. I came round a slight rightward sweeper sort of bend and there was a car on its roof on the other side, half in the hedge, half in the field. A quaskai (sp?) was stopped on the road, and two women (actually mum and daughter, it turned out), standing on the verge.

I stopped a bit further on, and walked back to see if anyone was knackered. I punched the mother in the tits and did the daughter up the gary - just for old times sake. Nah - i just checked nobody was maimed and decapitated, then had a quick dekko at the car's tyres whilst it was on its roof (all well within tread depth - but obvs PSI could've been way off).

I walked onto the road to see if i could feel anything slippy or clock any iridescence of diesel or oil but there was nothing at all - nothing visible nor anything I could feel with my foot.

But, when I got nearer to my car, I did notice the last foot or so of the road edge was really greasy and without much in the way of grip at all. Again, though, nothing visible. Btw - the roads everywhere were, at that time, still totally without even a whisper of a dry line.

Interestingly, there was a car in the hedge on the same lane 1/2 a mile up the road. Then I drove it again on Saturday and there was fresh and obvious evidence of three more fucked sections of hawthorn where someone had ploughed through into the fields.

This time though there were temporary signs for slippery surface at intervals of about 400 yards or so.

I have been seeing a lot of other wrecked hedgerows - but I can't really say that it's more or less than any other winter tbh.

Cars suffer from high-sides too.

Grip-Slip-Grip-Flip.

Winter Roads are Khunt.

(BTW, Good call on the Tits and Gary. Thumbs Up l

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Salt circa £200/ton.

Molasses circa £450/ton.

Gritter truck 10-13 Tons capacity.

£2000/ Gritter load.

If you know the number of trucks and miles of roads to be treated.

At a rate: 10-40grams t m2.

The cost of treating winter Roads must keep some folk awake at nights.
And after a dose of rain there's nothing to show for it.

The coocils buy tons and tons so probably get favourable rates from the suppliers.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Rock Salt circa £200/ton.

Molasses circa £450/ton.

Gritter truck 10-13 Tons capacity.

£2000/ Gritter load.

If you know the number of trucks and miles of roads to be treated.

At a rate: 10-40grams t m2.

The cost of treating winter Roads must keep some folk awake at nights.
And after a dose of rain there's nothing to show for it.

The coocils buy tons and tons so probably get favourable rates from the suppliers.

It was about £1700 for a standard load back in the day (4 legger vehicle) so I imagine it's well above that now. The financials as well as the environmental components should factor into the decision making, but it's all about covering off any liability these days, so the stuff gets chucked left, right and centre with reckless abandon. It gets worse when you have a cold front moving past with expected clear skies behind it; most gritter routes take a good few hours to get around, but often in winter if the road are already cold it can take a lot less time than that for it to freeze once the skies clear. As a result, you can end up sending the gritters out in the rain to try and get something down on the whole route before it clears and freezes. To the average observer, it looks literally like throwing money down the drain, but it's the only way to deal with that scenario (barring doubling the gritter fleet and the number of drivers to reduce the route lengths). Final issue; gritter drivers have day jobs, usually driving the road maintenance vehicles etc.. so short notice forecast changes (and of course, the Met Office are just as bad as anyone else for trying to cover their backsides, so if they get a whiff of a frost, they'll push the panic button and councils are essentially obliged to respond) you then have issues with drivers' hours.

It's not a joyful sector to work in.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cooncil have spreader units designed to plop into 10ton tipper trucks.
If a contractor wants a bit of pocket money through the winter they can carry a gritter and join in with the troops.
It means the cooncil don't have the expense of a fleet of trucks they may or may not use.
I'm sure the admin for that must be something too.
Insurance cover for a ten ton truck on winter Roads must leave an underwriter wide open.

It's a very very well coordinated exercise now compared to 40 years ago.
And winters are not as bad either.

People mostly moan when they see a gritter.

The moan would be more valid if they have to drive on untreated roads.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Posting is still a thing. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MCN on 05:10 - 01 Feb 2023; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Greasy, ha! Reply with quote

It's also the shite that gets on the bike constantly. Then the spray also clouds the visor making it impossible to wipe clean, if only there were some way of wiping it off on the go!

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Greasy roads? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

What's your opinion on the ME22 by the way- and are you talking about rear or front? I've been given a part worn rear ME22 tyre that I will be using at some point and I am curious as to how it behaves- Currently on a Mitas H-03 on the rear. From what I've seen of other bikes they do look like they square quickly if on the rear, though so does the Mitas....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Greasy roads? Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
A100man wrote:

What's your opinion on the ME22 by the way- and are you talking about rear or front? I've been given a part worn rear ME22 tyre that I will be using at some point and I am curious as to how it behaves- Currently on a Mitas H-03 on the rear. From what I've seen of other bikes they do look like they square quickly if on the rear, though so does the Mitas....

about the only option for 'vintage' bikes - pretty good on the whole and I thought quite a round profile compared to the old Avon 'Squaremasters' we used to run back in the day..

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run ME22 on my C90 and they’re great. Seem to last forever and grip well enough. Bit of tread for the scratchy lanes I end up on too so odd bit of gravel doesn’t pose a problem. Then again it’s a C90 so hardly the best performance test bed but they work for the bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:31 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stuck an Ensign Universal on the back of the Bullet for going to the dragon rally next month (I had a spare wheel with one on so may as well take advantage of the QD system). Surprisingly well behaved and has a modicum of tread which should get me in and out of a muddy field and have a little grip if it snows.

I'd normally bung roadriders on for road use. Modern silicone compounds are where it's at for wet, slithery roads.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:32 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Or we could teach people to drive. They don't chuck salt all over the roads in continental Europe and they get a lot more ice and snow.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:28 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Or we could teach people to drive. They don't chuck salt all over the roads in continental Europe and they get a lot more ice and snow.

Winter tyres are a thing in Europe.
Some places it's mandatory.
You could train drivers but driving on ice without suitable tyres is asking too much.

https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre-guide/winter-care/winter-tyres-mandatory

"Germany: Regulations brought in in 2010 require all passenger cars and motorbikes to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles in wintry conditions. Snow chains should be carried.

Winter tyres for motorbikes.

https://twotyres.co.uk/winter-motorcycle-tyres-guide/

If its only for a week or three with winter weather snow and ice, then probably a bit of a luxury. There's always the option to not ride the hoowur.

If needed for colledge/work then at least you have options.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:46 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Norwegians have to sit an extra driving test which includes a skid pan session before they're allowed to drive in snow.

None the less, I believe most of Europe just grits the roads when it's icy, not salt. They also grit bitumen mastic road surfaces for the first few months because they're like glass when wet when freshly laid.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Winter tyres are a thing in Europe. Some places it's mandatory.

Long time ago I had my first set of alloys refurbed, while I was at it I had a set of steel wheels refurbed too and
stuck a set of winter tyres on them. It was hilarious going uphill past stuck soft roaders in my front wheel drive
200bhp remapped Skoda Fabia vRS the one time I got the chance to use them in some freshly fallen snow. Despite it
being a very torquey car with over 300lb/ft at 2500rpm it pulled great on the white stuff, made an amazing amount
of difference. Bunged the tyres on steels in case of unplanned slide/kerb strikes in poor conditions. Sold the wheels
with tyres on to another Fabia owner when I sold that car on.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Long time ago I had my first set of alloys refurbed, while I was at it I had a set of steel wheels refurbed too and
stuck a set of winter tyres on them. It was hilarious going uphill past stuck soft roaders in my front wheel drive
200bhp remapped Skoda Fabia vRS the one time I got the chance to use them in some freshly fallen snow. Despite it
being a very torquey car with over 300lb/ft at 2500rpm it pulled great on the white stuff, made an amazing amount
of difference. Bunged the tyres on steels in case of unplanned slide/kerb strikes in poor conditions. Sold the wheels
with tyres on to another Fabia owner when I sold that car on.

Winter tyres are very underrated in the UK; I had a set on a spare set of steel wheels for my Subaru Forester and I used to put them on around November time and take them off again towards the end of March. The grip in the snow was incredible and I easily passed proper 4WD vehicles (Defenders, Discos etc.) slipping around on their "all season" tyres. Braking performance was also impressive. Most assume winter tyres are snow tyres, but they're not and the compound is designed to be more effective at cold temperatures on wet and even dry roads than summer/all season tyres. Seem to remember once below 7 deg C winter tyres are more effective.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Winter tyres are very underrated in the UK; I had a set on a spare set of steel wheels for my Subaru Forester and I used to put them on around November time and take them off again towards the end of March. The grip in the snow was incredible and I easily passed proper 4WD vehicles (Defenders, Discos etc.) slipping around on their "all season" tyres. Braking performance was also impressive. Most assume winter tyres are snow tyres, but they're not and the compound is designed to be more effective at cold temperatures on wet and even dry roads than summer/all season tyres. Seem to remember once below 7 deg C winter tyres are more effective.

Agreed, and they can also still last a long time.
I only bought a set many years ago because they were cheap tyres and I needed them to go to aforementioned legally required countries. I never actually took them off the car and I actually covered 30,000 miles on the longest lasting one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1