Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR125 power valve delete

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: NSR125 power valve delete Reply with quote

Hello.

I’m looking to remove the computerized power valve system in my NSR 125 and thought of an idea to replace it with a manual gas cable. Do you think it would be possible to do this kind of thing and would it work just as well as the computers brain?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power valve on 2ts opens based on revs. That's why its controlled by electronics. Why would you want to control it manually?

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The power valve on 2ts opens based on revs. That's why its controlled by electronics. Why would you want to control it manually?

Thought maybe it would be less of a hassle to just install a cable. What if I close the power valve flaps, I’ll have bottom end power, but lose top end, my question is how significant is that top end power loss in feeling it, HP and speed translation? As I’ll be riding mostly in city and won’t need to go over 120kmh that often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the bike in restricted form. the engine will last a hell of a lot longer.
although they are a lot more fun on full power.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

2tenjoyer wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Thought maybe it would be less of a hassle to just install a cable. What if I close the power valve flaps, I’ll have bottom end power, but lose top end, my question is how significant is that top end power loss in feeling it, HP and speed translation? As I’ll be riding mostly in city and won’t need to go over 120kmh that often.

It'll make a huge difference. Does the current one work? Leave it. We may be old and use forums instead of Tiktok but we've seen what youngsters do to 125s. Many of us have been those youngsters. Take our experience and knowledge and put the bike to standard, and then ride it. Don't go deactivating bits just because you don't understand how it works.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:35 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of a full power NSR125 is it's reasonably tractable at low revs and then goes mental at the top end.

Let it do what it does.

When the power valve controller ripped up its plastic cogs on my exup (admittedly not the same setup) it when from a 180mph missile that could pull in top gear from 30 to an 80 mph chugger at max throttle.

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

What do you mean by full power? What is there to do to achieve it?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:43 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

2tenjoyer wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Do you have the powervalve and controller?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

2tenjoyer wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

i had a Yamaha TZR 125 back in the day.
to keep it learner legal (12hp) the power valve was locked. the bike was still great fun and capable of breaking the speed limit.

when i passed my test i got the servo motor and made the bike full power. it was great fun but only for a little while. the engine needed a rebore in a short while.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:02 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be down to you not jetting it accordingly because the UK version had different jets to the full power version.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly. i didnt have a clue what i was doing. did have a nice Allspeed exhaust though Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:24 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
possibly. i didnt have a clue what i was doing. did have a nice Allspeed exhaust though Mr. Green

That'll need jetting different to standard in it's own right.

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:55 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the powervalve and controller?[/quote]

I’ve only got the power valve computer, need to replace the power valve and the servomotor

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:00 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you propose actuating the powervalve if you don't even have the powervalve?

2tenjoyer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How do you propose actuating the powervalve if you don't even have the powervalve?

I said replace power valve, so not sure how I don’t have it?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:34 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the CDI and a working power valve, why are you trying to control it manually?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1