Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Should I get smart meters?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You just put a clip round the incoming power cable and it remotes to a display, or smartphone app or whatever you fancy. Works just like an ammeter clamp measuring the incoming current over time.

I've got a simple one which was £25 and found out a) I needed a new deep freeze and b) It is cheaper to cook sausages in the oven than under the grill but most cheap to fry them on the gas ring.

In fairness, nothing you cook on the gas ring is going to show up on your leccy bill Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:36 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But I can do two years cooking on a 19kg propane cylinder so the stove is pretty cheap to run.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a power meter?

To save having to do the boring calculations for energy consumption.

Rolling Eyes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:52 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:

why does and one need a power monitor ?

if you can add up everything has it power comnsumption wrote on it pritty much

My pc has a 1000w power supply.

How much does it use.

It's not 1000w.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered yesterday that (although I have never requested it ... ) :

1. My "household help" from the Govt is being applied to the electricity account of my smart meter without my knowledge. Aside from a "test" £10 yesterday to make sure the app was still working properly, I've not topped it up since September Shocked ;
2. It is currently over £150 in credit, and 2x £66 more will be added before the end of the financial year, bringing me up to a possible total of £280+ in credit on the electric.

ALSO
Although I have to regularly top up my gas account, the monster credit on the electric section is unable to be transferred to the gas section Brick Wall

The lady who helped me was very apologetic that she couldn't apply the electric credit to the gas account, even though she could see I was using very little electricity.

I expressed my disappointment and told her that at least in the summer when it was boiling hot I would be able to use my pedestal fan 24/7 to stay cool with all that electric money in my account.

She LOL'd

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did it on electric because a great deal of people don't have a gas supply at all but more or less everyone is
on the electric grid. High rise flats don't tend to use gas for heating for obvious reasons. Lots or rural places have
oil boilers because there's no gas pipe available. My credit has gone straight on to my balance so is deducted from
my bill at the end of each month.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dread to think what my energy bill is.

What with the 3 story house and millions of devices either on charge or in use plus the fact that I work from home virtually every day (so the plasma tv is on from about 8 every morning just to make some background noise) the only saving grace is I'm not actually buying much petrol.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 02 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried working in complete silence? Laughing
I can recommend it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighing back in on this topic, received an email from Scottish Power this morning. Up until now their approach
has been that of a dear friend trying to do me a huge favour by allowing them more control over my supply and
more information about my typical usage, an offer I've just ignored along with their periodic efforts to coerce
me into compliance. They have taken a new approach now Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Dear Mr Grr666

We urgently need to upgrade your electricity meter as it's now been in use for more than 15 years. If you have a dual fuel account with us, we'll upgrade your gas meter too. Replacing your meters will help to ensure they're safe and efficient for years to come.

Why do we need to replace your meter?
Your meter is outdated and the older it gets, the more likely it is to have problems or stop providing us with accurate readings. Not only could this lead to inaccurate bills, it could pose a safety risk.

Your next steps
We need you to book an appointment so one of our engineers can fit your new meter(s) as soon as possible. You can book online by clicking the button above or by calling us on 0800 559 3318, Monday to Friday 10am – 8pm.

Thanks for being a ScottishPower customer.

What a crock of shit. My meters were 15 years old in 2010. It's taken them 13 years to notice? I fucking hate this
underhand, mildly threatening crap, what worries me is that they'll just come along and do it anyway since they
are both outside my house. I live alone, I use very little gas and electricity and my bills aren't high as a result.
I feel like this is an attempt to hike my bills and wring a few more £££ out of me because they aren't getting much
money out of me now with my traditional meters. I don't buy ANY of this eco crap they ram down peoples throats as
an excuse to charge more for just about everything these days. Looks like I am going to fit my meter cupboards with
padlocks, I don't trust those thieving bastards one little bit. I'm perfectly happy to continue to read my meters
once a month and pay by card online.

Anyone else had a similar letter?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Sort of.

We are with British Gas and have a smart meter. Anyway when the prices started going through the roof I got really paranoidingly paranoid about usage. The last quarter of 2022 we used under half of the gas we used in the same period in 2021.

I got an email asking for a gas meter reading so I asked why they needed it when we have a smart meter. They said that it handn't sent the reading for a while which was utter bollox because the smart meter sticks up an alert if it can't send the readings.

Anyway, I sent the meter reading in (which matched the smart meter) and thought that was that. However a week or so later they sent another email saying I was due a safety check of my gas appliances which would include meter checks. I wonder why. Laughing I emailed back that in the 20 years I have lived here I have never had a gas safety check except for the boiler which is not with them so why now?

I am waiting to see whether they come back with some lame excuse or be truthfull and say they want to check I haven't fucked around with the meter. My meters are in the garage so they can't get to them without breaking in. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:18 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My meters are in the garage so they can't get to them without breaking in. Thumbs Up

They are completely entitled to break in for a 'safety' check of your meter.

Theynormally do a 'safety' check if they think someone is fiddling the meter.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:44 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar one after I turned the gas off for 12 months and got a snotty letter saying they'd come to read the meter and if I didn't make an appointment, they'd break in to check the meter.

The amusing part of that is that the meter was on the outside front of the house right next to the door and I'm 95% certain they leaned on the meter box to fill in the blank spaces in the snotty note.

Had another one in a commercial building where the gas was disconnected and they kept coming to read the meter (and charging for it). Their explanation was that it was a safety check of the meter. I eventually got fed up tripping over it so I took the meter off (it was only screwed to the pipe finger-tight anyway), blanked off the pipe and put the meter in a broom cupboard near the door. They continued to come and "read" it for the duration of the time we were there. My boss wouldn't take my suggestion of writing and telling them to come and collect their meter or we'd start charging them rent.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:48 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar when I was working on the estate side of working in the social in Bath.

Gas man turned up to read meter, lead him through the basement to the utility room. Pointed at the blanked off pipe.

There was much swearing and apologising.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Yep, recently (ignored it), but I've also had them years ago too, long before smart meters were a thing. To be fair, it's a genuine thing that they are obliged to replace meters every x years, as they are only certified for that period when they are manufactured and installed.

Thing is, you are not obliged to have it replaced with a smart meter, but I'm sure it will be a massive struggle to get them to replace with a dumb meter!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
My meters are in the garage so they can't get to them without breaking in. Thumbs Up

They are completely entitled to break in for a 'safety' check of your meter.

Theynormally do a 'safety' check if they think someone is fiddling the meter.

Oh absolutley thay are doing this to check if I am fiddling the meter. I'm just going to string them along for as long as I can and then if we start getting new energy deals, change suppliers. Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I get the same bilge from Shell Energy. I just ignore. Like you my miserly usage is way below average.. For a 3 bed semi about the average for a 1 bed flat. That, I suspect, is the reason for their attention.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Yep I get the same bilge from Shell Energy. I just ignore. Like you my miserly usage is way below average.. For a 3 bed semi about the average for a 1 bed flat. That, I suspect, is the reason for their attention.

Another message (email this time) from Shell..)

Hello ****
As all meters eventually do, your electricity meter has reached the end of its lifetime, so we need to replace it with a new one.
The good news is, we’ll upgrade your old meter to a smart meter, free of charge. While we’re there, we can also upgrade your gas meter to a smart meter.

The current one is an LCD unit this size of a small book - so yeah it must have worn out Rolling Eyes

I tried an online 'chat' asking them to leave me alone but alas they keep coming after me.

I also note from their email that 'It's free and won't cost you anything EXCEPT I have to be at home
for a 4 hour window Mon-Fri so it will cost me 1/2 days pay/holiday in other words..

Fuckers.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:36 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I also note from their email that 'It's free and won't cost you anything EXCEPT I have to be at home
for a 4 hour window Mon-Fri so it will cost me 1/2 days pay/holiday in other words..

So what happens if you don't make an appointment and the house is closed and locked if they decide to make one for you?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why you wouldn't want one tbh. I had one fitted last month and it's been great. The best bit for me is it tells me when my solar panels are generating more than I'm using so I can then put stuff like my washing machine on and save a bit of money.

My Dad actually spent most of his career fitting electricity meters and is totally dead set against them and stuffed his into a cupboard. People seem to think it's some kind of evil device that is spying on you when all it's doing is reading your electricity usage Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:09 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Don't know why you wouldn't want one tbh. I had one fitted last month and it's been great. The best bit for me is it tells me when my solar panels are generating more than I'm using so I can then put stuff like my washing machine on and save a bit of money.

My Dad actually spent most of his career fitting electricity meters and is totally dead set against them and stuffed his into a cupboard. People seem to think it's some kind of evil device that is spying on you when all it's doing is reading your electricity usage Laughing

My three main objections to them.

1) They can vary your tarriff remotely.
2) Your electricity can be cut off remotely.
3) They can be turned into a prepayment meter remotely.

All of these things can be done by the energy supplier at the push of a button or the whim of an algorithm without you agreeing to it.

A fourth point which is more my issue than something that can definately be done is I wouldn't trust them not to be tampered with remotely -so they over-read for example.

I see it as having absolutely no benefits to me the consumer. I already have a power monitor gathering dust on the mantlepiece. All the benefits are for the supplier.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:20 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you wrap one in tin foil?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What happens if you wrap one in tin foil?

You can buy custom made faraday cages for each model of smart meter, complete with flying earth lead.

If you get the right mesh size to block mobile phone signals, they become a dumb meter. Tinfoil would probably work if you earthed it. Makes it hard to read though.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4