Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lee8040
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:56 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Electric bikes Reply with quote

Has anyone bought one of the electric motorcycles on the market?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them out in the wild, pitiful creatures.

The problem is the government has no understanding of electric vehicles in general and electric bike in particular. AFAIK the phase out in 2030 starts with 125cc/50cc bikes. You know, the most efficient and least polluting ones Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The problem is the government has no understanding of electric vehicles in general and electric bike in particular. AFAIK the phase out in 2030 starts with 125cc/50cc bikes. You know, the most efficient and least polluting ones Rolling Eyes

You mean the ones most easily replaced by electric bikes? The ones which spend their time in towns? The ones which don't need to meet the current Euro emissions regulations? The ones whose power will be most affected by a catalytic converter? Yeah, that's *so* dumb... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I only had a really, really quick go, and the battery was fairly down, but a mates Zero has some get up and go. He's promised me a go when work lets up for us and it's got a charged battery.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:55 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. I'm waiting for something to come along that meets my requirements* and costs about 10 grand. Also needs to have a dealership vaguely local.

* About 25-50kw, 10kwh battery.

The closest right now is the Harley/Livewire del mar.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You mean the ones most easily replaced by electric bikes? The ones which spend their time in towns? The ones which don't need to meet the current Euro emissions regulations? The ones whose power will be most affected by a catalytic converter? Yeah, that's *so* dumb... Rolling Eyes

They're the least polluting in relation to all other ICE vehicles. We should tackle pollution sources that make a tangible difference not just the ones that make us feel good. And don't forget they're also the ones ridden by the poorest people. If you think Deliveroo's expensive now wait till they're all forced to swap to EVs.

That's my central beef: "Save the Planet" is always a case of making poor people poorer Sad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:33 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

They're the least polluting in relation to all other ICE vehicles. We should tackle pollution sources that make a tangible difference not just the ones that make us feel good. And don't forget they're also the ones ridden by the poorest people. If you think Deliveroo's expensive now wait till they're all forced to swap to EVs.

That's my central beef: "Save the Planet" is always a case of making poor people poorer Sad

Plenty of Deliveroo's run EVs at the moment because electricity is still cheaper than fuel. You seem to think that small capacity electric bikes cost more than a diamond encrusted Gold plated Rolls Royce. They don't. There are LOADS of electric scooters with similar range and speed to 50-125cc scooters for reasonable prices. It's not a massive conspiracy against poor people, it's a replacement powertrain that will eventually replace existing powertrains like-for-like with the only real downside being recharge time. Larger bikes don't really work in the same way i.e. there is no logical equivalent between big IC engined bikes and big electric bikes. That's probably good for the government because they've always hated motorcycling, and would rather ditch the dangerous things. Their KSI statistics would improve massively, and would solve a major blocker for autonomous driving, which would improve their KSI statistics further.

So, if you want motorcycling to continue in some way like we already have, I think buying an electric 'big' bike might be the way forward, even if they aren't as practical as existing IC engine infrastructure. Not only that, you'll find petrol harder to get hold of as time moves on, so you'll find that becoming more and more impractical. We can't ignore climate change, and I'm aware that my car and my bikes could very well be last of breed. I am going to enjoy them now while I can, because I can see the writing on the wall for them, and I think a lot of people (and companies as a matter of fact) are taking the ostrich attitude to the whole thing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
We can't ignore climate change hysteria...

FTFY Sad

Why are ppl still riding 125 scooters if electric ones are so fantastic?

I go in and out of the City a fair bit and I do see some 2 wheeled EVs but they're almost all eBikes i.e. restricted to 250W. There are occasional some naughty freelancers with >250W but as they're illegal they don't count. As to real electric replacements for 125s I've not seen any in town. I've actually seen more out my way (Surrey) but they're ridden by eccentrics and not the Deliveroo crowd.

"We have EV solutions but they're so shite we have to force people at gunpoint to use them. We'll start with the poors first."

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:24 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Why are ppl still riding 125 scooters if electric ones are so fantastic?

Money.

I am guessing it's ALWAYS money. If I could get a 70-75mph '125 but definitely quicker off the line' electric bike that had 200 mile range, I'd get one.

Right now, that's what...how much you reckon one would be. I can get a 125/250 for 3k.

Why would I pay more money for let's say a super soco TCMax. 60mph, 60 mile range. Good for some but you know that's at 30-40mph.

Can get 100mpg bike for 3k or less, most people riding around London or using 125s are on a budget thing.

It's sad. I'd love an electric bike. But my requirement is to be able to go out and not worry, right now... I worry about the range. The price is second to that. What I want I reckon would be 15-20k easy.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
There are occasional some naughty freelancers with >250W but as they're illegal they don't count.

these are just about all I see. the pedal assist is disabled too so in effect these people are driving illegal motorcycles - the fuckers.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I hate to keep banging the drum on this one but there needs to be some hybrid between the current eBikes and ICE bikes (in terms of power) and we're just not seeing them due to the government's ignorance. Something along the lines of the lightness of a bicycle but with a longer wheelbase. Even if speed limited to <40mph the Deliveroo crowd would lap that shit up.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the EV infrastructure and vehicles are on par or better than dino fuel vehicles I will get one, until then in the words of Milla "Wyvern" Radek: Negative, Sir. I refuse!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potentially EFI vehicles can be re-tuned to run on Ethanol so look forward to the government hunting down illicit stills around 2040 Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Potentially EFI vehicles can be re-tuned to run on Ethanol so look forward to the government hunting down illicit stills around 2040 Smile

After all the bitching about 10% ethanol in petrol?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, a lot of it was just bitching.

Fair enough if your vehicle is getting on a bit, it was probably never designed for Ethanol but anything <10yo can handle it (might need a retune.) Anyhoo, the point is technically you could make your own biofuels Smile

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:42 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big source of bitching about electric bikes is range. Dig a little deeper and it seems to be not so much range, but compatibility and availability of chargers.

Ethanol contains about half of the energy per litre compared to petrol. So if your petrol bike does 150 miles on a full tank, your ethanol bike does 75.

And you can only refuel from your still at home.

It makes a basic model zero with a range of ~100 miles look tempting in comparison.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:05 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
A big source of bitching about electric bikes is range. Dig a little deeper and it seems to be not so much range, but compatibility and availability of chargers..

I guess there is that, but also if I had to stop say every (again using the Super Soco TC Max as an example) 50 miles to recharge, thats 6-7 stops on my round trip to my parents. Each at however long it takes to charge.

I am sure technology will improve, infrastructure will improve etc.. It has to, but I really do rely on the round trip and it taking ~3.5-4hrs currently means easily double, maybe triple, multiple day if the charger takes a while...

I want an electric motorcycle and car, I do, but I also want to have the cake and eat it, currently the cakes still being baked, for me obviously... others will vary.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:43 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
I guess there is that, but also if I had to stop say every (again using the Super Soco TC Max as an example) 50 miles to recharge, thats 6-7 stops on my round trip to my parents. Each at however long it takes to charge.

I am sure technology will improve, infrastructure will improve etc.. It has to, but I really do rely on the round trip and it taking ~3.5-4hrs currently means easily double, maybe triple, multiple day if the charger takes a while...

But it's about usage. Most drivers and riders do maybe 1 or 2 long trips a year, and for the rest of the time a 50 mile range with ability to 'refuel' at home is absolutely fine. I know leisure riding is a bit different, but for transport this is something that people like to conveniently ignore. "What if I wanted to drive to Scotland tomorrow?" well, it's not very likely is it? Why not use your 50 mile range electric scooter most of the time, then hire a car for the long trip you want to take? It's a practical solution, but it does require a shift in our mindsets away from owning a single do anything vehicle.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:46 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I 100% get you. I like to own things, I would like to have both a car and a bike. My journey theoretically could be done by train, but would take 6.5 hours and whilst its green, I don't own it and cant control it.

If I was in town and riding around, heck yeah I'd get one. If I was doing max 10-40 miles a day around town, sure I would love one, but my journeys don't suit electric vehicles right now, they will... but when.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my house to the City is ~40 mile round trip, that's a recipe for range anxiety if I ever heard one. And if I set off on my ICE bike and I'm on the last bar of the fuel gauge it's a moment's work to fill it up.

EVs are a shite solution. The sooner governments admit to this the sooner we can roll out clever solutions to mitigate the shortcomings. Why bother when it's forced on people?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could plug it in every night rather than filling it up when it gets empty.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

EVs are a shite solution. The sooner governments admit to this the sooner we can roll out clever solutions to mitigate the shortcomings.

They're not though. My fairly basic electric car has a 200 mile range, meaning I the longest I would want to go between charges is 150 miles. On the rare occasion that I do a long journey, I plug in at a fast charger after 2-3 hours driving and have a break. The other 360 days of the year it gets charged at home, cheaply, when I feel like it.

Electric bikes are shit, because a lot of the potential market is people like you, so why bother taking the risk on developing one.

The annoying bit for me is that the technology is there from the car world. Zero were doing a 7kwh battery pack on a bike under 200kg, 10 years ago. Improvements in battery design since then means that could now be 15kwh for a similar volume and a little more mass, and similar price.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 06:30 - 08 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
MarJay wrote:

An option if you already live in a city is an electric scooter or EUC ( if you can be bothered to learn to ride one). For those who don’t want a car / motorbike or can’t afford one they are potentially a great solution but our government won’t legalise them.

HMRC figures show there are over a million e-scooters in private ownership in the UK and if the govt really cared about saving the planet they would allow people to use them, but they don’t, it won’t generate sufficient revenue. We have to continue to pay for petrol or over priced train tickets … as you say it’s all about making us poorer.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:58 - 08 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because those electric scooters are fucking dangerous.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5