Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Weak Legs ... Bugger!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 18:18 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Weak Legs ... Bugger!!! Reply with quote

For the past year I've had issues with my strength sapping very quickly, and it's got worse over the last month or so, partly due to having cellulitis in both legs and a two week stint in hospital.

If I walk then within about 10 yards I feel drained, if I sweep a small room then I'll need to sit down, putting 2 or 3 screws into the floor yesterday (using a drill) I had to sit down ... it's getting ridiculous, will need to talk to doctor to try and find out what the feck is going on.

Anyhoo, that's the preamble ... the reason for the post ... I only dropped the feckin bike this morning (GSX1400), on the way to the hospital Crying or Very sad

Stopped at a roundabout for car passing by, but the way I stopped put me off balance .. foot straight down as bike started tipping and caught her at about 50 degrees ... but no strength to get her back up.

I held her up for about 20-25 seconds and then just fell onto the road as all my strength just drained away ... couldn't even get myself up I was that drained.

Thankfully 3 motorists behind me got out, not only helping me up but also lifting the bike up Embarassed

Got to hospital appointment, got dressings done on my legs ... they then took my blood pressure because they said I looked ill ... 84/53 or something like that ... cue another 2.5 hours in medical assessment unit so they could check me over (eventually gave me the okay to go home).

I think they thought I'd had a dizzy turn, even though I explained on multiple occasions what had happened.

I hate getting old Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... it was only the one leg I had cellulitis but I generally found it helped a lot getting out of the house once I started recovering. I went to the pub Smile

I would have thought if your legs were weak (e.g. muscle wastage) then just the legs would get tired not the rest of you Thinking

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 21:28 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the legs, whole being gets drained of energy ... but it's the legs which were holding the bike up Laughing

I couldn't get off the ground to begin with as I was just drained of energy, in fact the two guys basically lifted me up by the arms.

This was happening way before the cellulitis, but it hasn't helped Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on statins? Muscle weakness is a common side effect.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they ask you about intermittent claudication? Which is a dodgy-heart thing when you can't walk very far and have to rest often (but conversely is worsened by lack of exercise Rolling Eyes )

I'm pretty sure they would have checked you for all things vascular, if you had told them you once died before, and particularly if you mentioned that you were having increasing trouble walking any kind of distance.

But maybe you should just ... ask again.
Quite soon, given your previous clogs-popping form.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, we really need a translator.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 05:07 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions and the questions everyone ...

I've mentioned to heart, vascular, dermatology (long shot), basically anyone that'll listen about what is going on ... not much help

No diabetes or back problems ... intermittent claudication (sounds fancy), I'd say no as it doesn't really get painful ... it's just all the energy drains away is the best I can describe it!

I used to be able to dead lift a GSX1400 engine onto a workbench, I'd be lucky to lift a cylinder head now ... yes I'm older, but his is just ridiculous!!

The heart people thought it was my ICD tickover (as I call it) which was 40, so they upped it to 55 ... but I'd said it didn't feel like it was my heart (or breathing) which was the issue ... made no difference.

Statins, yes I've known about these things for years, had an aunt and a friends father who took simvastatin (I think that's the one) ... a few months in and they had difficulty walking.

I've been on atorvastatin since the old heart stopping thing (9/1/22) ... I started walking (shudder) and did around 4 or 5 miles a day, went from taking 30 minutes to walk a mile down to 18 minutes ... then around April and over a period of around two weeks is when the walking/energy problems started, meaning I stopped walking which has probably worsened the outcome!

Due to my most recent health issues and the fact it's getting worse and seemingly faster, I'm really going to start pushing for an answer ... I should've been doing that a year ago!!

I thought I maybe it was kidney related after this recent 50% drop in kidney function, but there has been no real change in the base line over the last five years ... consultant showed me a graph and you can see the massive spike at the beginning of this latest crap in January ... back to base level now!

One thing I did find was MYOSITIS, which can result in weak/painful muscles and is caused by problems with the immune system ........ oh, hold on, that's exactly what I've been diagnosed with, specifically ANCA related vasculitis (stupid immune system) Rolling Eyes

So, doctors here I come Thumbs Up

I view everything which is happening at the moment as just a small issue in general ... everything compared to being dead is Laughing

All the best ... Barry

P.S. Dave001 ... I'm a bit pathetic myself Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
... it's just all the energy drains away is the best I can describe it!

Not a doctor but I would think if one exerts oneself in general the muscles would like more oxygen and to swiftly get rid of the nasty CO2 (it doesn't sound like you're getting to the point of lactic acid build-up.) That means more breathing and more heart pumping. I would suggest diminished lung capacity, heart rate not increasing to match the level of work or some heart muscle weakness where it's not pumping the required volume of blood per beat.

Sounds pretty grim now I've typed that out Shocked

Reminds me of the oil pump on a 2-stroke in that both RPMs and throttle input increase the the volume injected Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
I do try my best nobby. serously its just as anoying for me...

Structurally there's little wrong with your posts. 50% of the errors you could catch just enabling the web browser spell checker. Cumbersome but if you typed posts into Word first and copy/pasted the results that would also catch a load of grammatical and stylistic errors. There's also speech-to-text software.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:03 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a normal browser that has a normal spell checker and then you can post normally?

Dyslexia and laziness are two very different things. Take a few extra seconds to correct your spelling when you write a post rather than just clicking post and leaving it to everyone else to decipher.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 19:17 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
BanditsHigh wrote:
... it's just all the energy drains away is the best I can describe it!

Not a doctor but ....

I have emphysema as well, but both breathing and heart rate stay the same ... no pain in the muscles, just the energy sapping!

My RCA (right coronary artery) is 100% blocked, the LDA (lower descending artery) is 50% blocked with two stents fitted.

I was getting on fine between January and April, my mile walking time had nearly halved, then this weakness crap started ... it could be the heart, but that'd mean it had got worse and the heart people haven't mentioned anything looking worse.

I'll be asking to see the doctor, it's time to figure out what is happening instead of hoping it'll get better!

All the best ... Barry

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 04 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

With all due respect... maybe time to buy a smaller bike?

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 12:33 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Shocked

With all due respect... maybe time to buy a smaller bike?

Aw, he cares Laughing

It's due to the cellulitis that my legs are weak ... I did hold her up for 20-25 seconds at a 45-50 degree angle, just didn't have the strength to bring her back upright!

It didn't even occur to me to lay her down in a controlled manner, totally automatic response, don't let the bike fall on the ground!

I was on the bike next day after getting out of hospital, now that was bad ... problems getting feet onto footrests and changing gear ... few days later no problem.

So, this is a temporary (fingers crossed) state and hopefully when I get to talk to a doctor we can figure out what the cause of the energy drain is Thumbs Up

All the best ... Barry

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
It didn't even occur to me to lay her down in a controlled manner, totally automatic response, don't let the bike fall on the ground!

Analogous to my computer programming job: all the normal code is fine but skimped on the exception handling Smile

My leg doesn't sound like it was anywhere near as bad as yours but I'd say it's at about 90% of what it was ~2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics. You'll get there.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
My RCA (right coronary artery) is 100% blocked, the LDA (lower descending artery) is 50% blocked with two stents fitted.

Shocked
OK so if thats all going on already, they're almost certainly on top of the intermittent claudication thing

So hopefully its "just" an aftereffect of the antibiotics for the phlebitis that will eventually go away.
Poor old Bandits, you are in the wars lately aren't you!
Wub

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 17:20 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Analogous to my computer programming job: all the normal code is fine but skimped on the exception handling Smile

My leg doesn't sound like it was anywhere near as bad as yours but I'd say it's at about 90% of what it was ~2 weeks after finishing the antibiotics. You'll get there.

I was a software engineer at Lind Products for 10 years then moved over to testing ... the young'uns seemed to think it was a hassle having to put code in to deal with unexpected stuff .. pft!!

hellkat wrote:
OK so if thats all going on already, they're almost certainly on top of the intermittent claudication thing ......
Poor old Bandits, you are in the wars lately aren't you!
Wub

I don't think it's that, the symptoms state pain that starts and stops during exercise ... I have zero pain! The strange thing is how I went from getting fitter every month for around 3 months and then suddenly boom ... this energy drain thing just started ... it's bizarre.

With regards being in the wars ... I take everything that's happening at the moment as a little bump in the road ... to me the important thing is I'm still here and a little bit of being unwell is preferable to the other thing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a smart watch with health metrics. With calibration my Samsung can do body fat estimates, blood pressure, heart rate, arrhythmia, blood oxygen levels, probably more. Get some immediate numbers just as your energy's fading.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1