Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tumble Dryer - repair or replace?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Tumble Dryer - repair or replace? Reply with quote

I recently replaced the belt on my tumble dryer. The last belt lasted a good few years but this one just a few weeks Sad

When I say repair I suppose I really mean refurb. I reckon it needs new bearings and guides if it's chewed through another belt so quickly. AFAIK the motor and heating element are good.

I have had this tumble dryer for a decade so I'm considering if it's worth £30 in parts and a few hours to rebuild it Thinking

<addendum>
A serious consideration has to be the energy efficiency. My old one's rated "B" however looking into the details it's borderline. An el cheapo dryer would be "C" but there's actually only a few Watts in it.

Being selective I could get "sensor drying" which might help. A couple of hundred quid gets "heat pump" >A+ efficiency - and tumble dryers do burn through the 'leccy - but I know nothing about these.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tumble has chewed through two belts in 5 years. I just keep replacing it as it is only 5 years old.

Fixed dish washer recently too (2nd hand one that was though). Some times the biggest expense is the time it takes to fix- so... how much is your time worth?

I myself can't afford a new dish washer, but I can afford to fix it...

EDIT: I see Dave has similar views.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting to the point of having to replace my tumble drier as well. Like yours it's an electric muncher thats at least 15 years old, a Zanussi. I've repaired it a couple of times, door lock broke. Belt came off motor when pulleys undid them selves.

I'd probably carry on fixing it unless motor or element went as it's so simple but the electric bills are getting silly, Wifie is a wild swimmer, goes at least once a day and weekends more often so she chucks her stuff in there to dry quickly.

It's just forking out the best part of £500 for something that drys clothes when we have one that works sticks in my craw. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500 is at the steep end where the heat pump ones are. I'm reading they cost half the electric but take twice as long to dry stuff. Wife didn't seem so keen on that part!

A simple dryer with sensor dry is more around the £250 mark.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wife? Get one of these ..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sJIAAOSwxxFjdiPJ/s-l400.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
£500 is at the steep end where the heat pump ones are. I'm reading they cost half the electric but take twice as long to dry stuff. Wife didn't seem so keen on that part!

A simple dryer with sensor dry is more around the £250 mark.

Shameless shill.

I have a £400 quid Argos voucher i am trying to either spend or convert to cash.

I don't need anything at the moment, hit me up if you want to purchase from Argos and fancy helping me out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:37 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bouight a heat pump drier 10 years ago and it's fantastic. It takes longer but it doesn't take as long as a wash cycle. It also stops when your stuff is dry so the 2h55 cycle I usually use rarely lasts that long.

Doesn't add humidity to the room, and in fairness, not much heat escapes either. It's quiet. No need for a vent, just a drain pipe T-ed into the washer drain. Put stuff in, select how dry you want it (Iron dry, cupboard dry or storage dry, the latter is too much, tends to shrink stuff) and turn it on.

Uses about 1/3 of the energy of a vented one. When I got mine, I did the maths and worked out it would make up the extra cost in three years. That was based on energy prices 10 years ago.

It also has a condenser tank you can connect in place of the drain which you need to empty periodically. I sometimes connect that up and keep the effectively distilled water it produces for in my bike radiators.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot,
you dont know you're born you lot

When I were a lad ..................................................

https://imgs.search.brave.com/m1qJTvjK-DS0VTEECg5tkmdjUsAGaNW1WdlGKuXGxlI/rs:fit:612:473:1/g:ce/aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRp/YS5nZXR0eWltYWdl/cy5jb20vcGhvdG9z/LzE5NTBzLWhvdXNl/d2lmZS1oYW5naW5n/LXBpY3R1cmUtaWQ2/Njg2NzY5MDk_cz02/MTJ4NjEy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I bouight a heat pump drier 10 years ago and it's fantastic. It takes longer but it doesn't take as long as a wash cycle. It also stops when your stuff is dry so the 2h55 cycle I usually use rarely lasts that long.

Doesn't add humidity to the room, and in fairness, not much heat escapes either. It's quiet. No need for a vent, just a drain pipe T-ed into the washer drain. Put stuff in, select how dry you want it (Iron dry, cupboard dry or storage dry, the latter is too much, tends to shrink stuff) and turn it on.

Uses about 1/3 of the energy of a vented one. When I got mine, I did the maths and worked out it would make up the extra cost in three years. That was based on energy prices 10 years ago.

It also has a condenser tank you can connect in place of the drain which you need to empty periodically. I sometimes connect that up and keep the effectively distilled water it produces for in my bike radiators.

So you don't NEED to connect it to a drain? I ask because my dryer is stuated at the other end of the kitchen from any drain pipes so if it needs to be coneeted to a drain that's totally out of the question.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:32 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

So you don't NEED to connect it to a drain? I ask because my dryer is stuated at the other end of the kitchen from any drain pipes so if it needs to be coneeted to a drain that's totally out of the question.

You don't with mine anyway, it's got a tank thingy you'd need to empty every couple of cycles if you don't use the drain.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 03 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tumble dryer seemed to determine the majority of my electricity bill. In summertime I switched more to line-drying but I’ve just bought a DeLonghi dehumidifier and I have a spare bedroom and clothes-horses which allegedly will do the job cheaper, albeit a bit slower. Too early to tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:28 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Whirlpool dryer in 1995 (new). It is used nearly every day, and ran trouble-free for nineteen years. Then in 2014 it began to overheat. YouTube has been an excellent diagnostic resource for me over the years. I replaced the thermal cutoff fuse in 2014 and 2016, and the operating (cycling) thermostat in 2019. Given its recent history, it's probably due for another breakdown sometime soon. I'll just keep on fixing it until it becomes cost prohibitive. So far, every repair has cost me less than $10 US.

The hardest thing about working on the dryer is connecting it to the dryer duct. Christ! Docking the space shuttle must be easier than reconnecting my dryer back to the house after I've worked on it. Cool

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 06 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
My tumble dryer seemed to determine the majority of my electricity bill. In summertime I switched more to line-drying but I’ve just bought a DeLonghi dehumidifier and I have a spare bedroom and clothes-horses which allegedly will do the job cheaper, albeit a bit slower. Too early to tell.

been doing line (dry days) or dehumidifier for yonks - am almost certain it's significantly cheaper than tumble drier

be interesting to see what you think

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1