Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need a 250 for A2 Mod 1

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:48 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Need a 250 for A2 Mod 1 Reply with quote

Hi all,

having passed both my A1 tests I am now struggloing to get through A2 Mod 1 on my 500 Rebel. I have tried 4 times and, on the last 2 got through everything up to the avoidance. This last time, today, I hit the inside blue cone with the RH crash bar.

I am advised by the examiners to try doing the test on a more manoeuvrable bike, say 250 or 350. Since 01/03/22 the minimum engine size required for A2 is now 245cc.

Can anyone recommend a suitable machine that has a low seat height, something around 700mm to 720mm. Anything much higher than that, like the industry standard 800mm, and I can only touch the ground with one toe on one side, a fact that does zero for one's confidence.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and would be investigated.

Best Regards
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the new A2 regs have reduced the minimum capacity to 245cc, they also state a minimum power output of 20kw (about 27hp)

Most modern 4 stroke 250s don't get anywhere near that. For example even the GSX250R only makes 25hp.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:11 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki RGV250. If you can find one...

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 25 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Suzuki RGV250. If you can find one...

... and there is a maximum of 35kw (about 47hp), unfortunately.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Need a 250 for A2 Mod 1 Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi all,

having passed both my A1 tests I am now struggloing to get through A2 Mod 1 on my 500 Rebel. I have tried 4 times and, on the last 2 got through everything up to the avoidance. This last time, today, I hit the inside blue cone with the RH crash bar.

I am advised by the examiners to try doing the test on a more manoeuvrable bike, say 250 or 350. Since 01/03/22 the minimum engine size required for A2 is now 245cc.

Can anyone recommend a suitable machine that has a low seat height, something around 700mm to 720mm. Anything much higher than that, like the industry standard 800mm, and I can only touch the ground with one toe on one side, a fact that does zero for one's confidence.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and would be investigated.

Best Regards
Tony

Unfortunately you are setting conditions that are exceptionally narrow for a range of bike engine capacities and powers that is already exceptionally narrow.

The best I can come up with is:

BMW G310R has a seat height of 780mm (a little too high for you), but fits the power requirements (34hp) (limits = 27hp - 47hp).

The Royal Enfield Meteor 350 doesn't have enough power so that's out of the running.

Can't you just use an SV650 from a riding school and grit your teeth and just wear those stupid as fuck toe extenders to get your height up temporarily and feel confident?

In all honesty, if this guy can ride a full size motorbike, you can too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHm_wizutuA

Also your current Rebel is more than enough bike to get through the MOD 1, like it or not but this whole issue is in your head mate. You can keep changing bike but I think you need to try more to get into the right headspace and trust in yourself and in your current bike. Keep trying your hardest mate you might not see it now but you have the ability to do this already!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can your training school not suggest a better bike to do the tests on, surely they must have some A2 complient bikes you can test on?

Also, are you school not giving you further taining on the parts of the Mod 1 you cannot do, as all of this should be easy to practice on the training pad

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:57 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Rebel 500 Reply with quote

Good to hear from you, Scotsman,

I have grown to trust your judgement. You're exactly right, about me. I am more than confident of getting through Mod 1 on my Rebel prior to the emergency stop and avoidance. After struggling to manhandling it from one garage into another, at my age 190Kg (418lbs in real non-euro money) makes me puff a bit, I just put it into first and do the lot on tick-over. I've now done that 3 times without problems. The examiners at Poole reckon I should have a loyalty card!

My problems with the last 2 parts are firstly, it seems a short distance from the cornering curve to the "trap" to get up to 32mph, with no time to check the speedo. (OK I did manage it on my A1 AJS, that was just a matter of, a few cones before coming out of the curve give it full throttle in second, and 30mph was as much as it could muster). If I did that on the Rebel my guess is that I would be doing something more like 40mph+ through the trap with very little time to set myself up for the last bit. The emergency stop is not too bad, just stay on a straight line and stand on everything when signalled to stop. Secondly, it's a different matter with the avoidance, I feel I need to reduce speed immediately after the trap to be able to make the swerve. Is there a trick to the swerve? I'm always too close to the first blue cone. The examiner suggested trying to aim for the outer cone. I'm always too concerned about missing the inner one to have time to look towards the outer one.

Whilst doing the cornering curve I think I do have time to check the speedo. What speed ought I be able to control through the curve? If I could get that somewhere near 30mph I might feel that I had time to sort myself out for the last bit.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:07 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to glance at the speedo? TBH you could just learn what the engine note sounds like at 32 ish.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:12 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Bike? Reply with quote

Hi rpsmith79,

you have probably read the Angry Scotsman's comments, and my reply. The main problem is the need for a low saddle height, I have more confidence if I know I can reach the ground with both feet. On a test it's not a "get out of jail free" card but at least I know I'm not going to hurt myself, or, more importantly, hurt the bike.

The school I was with shut up shop during all of January and bugger off to the Bahamas, so, on the recommendation of the examiners, I've made a date with another school for a day's training on Feb 11th. I intend to give the whole idea a rest until then. The instructor is going to come to my house, and I will then get a full day on the Rebel; while he susses out my problems.

Cheers

P.S. I don't remember seeing your name on my first post, "Advice needed for a newbie". My D.O.B. is 6/12/37 so you can work out what this silly old bugger is up to.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned a Rebel 500 previously I don't recall the handling being that bad (obviously not up to the MT07 I did my test with) I found it more than sufficient to whip through city traffic. Maybe a bit more practice required? TBF 4 goes would put a dampener on things.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Rebel Reply with quote

The rebel is fine for it. A student with us got through on their own bike (they were 5'2"). 56kph for e stop and 51 for avoidance. They also passed their a1 on an intruder 125.

You need to practice in a car park. You've done it once on a 125 don't get put off.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 26 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enfield Meteor 350 has a low seat. take one for a test ride.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:16 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Thanks for the encouragement. Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your encouraging comments.

I'm going to give all thoughts about the A2 Mod1 a rest now and I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about the whole thing. I reckon Steve, my instructor on the 11th, will be able to point out what is holding me back from something that should be reasonably possible.

Will update you as to progress on the 12th.

Cheers

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:20 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Renault 5 driver???? Reply with quote

I've never had a Renault 5 in my life, and wouldn't have one as a gift. Current wheels, BMW 530i circa 2003, AJS Cadwell & Honda Rebel 500. Who puts those tags below one's name, and how do I change it?

Last edited by Tony Norton on 08:27 - 27 Jan 2023; edited 1 time in total

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Enfield Meteor 350 has a low seat. take one for a test ride.

Still not enough power for A2 test, though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:47 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Renault 5 driver???? Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
I've never had a Renault 5 in my life, and wouldn't have one as a gift. Current wheels, BMW 530i circa 2003, AJS Cadwell & Honda Rebel 500. Who puts those tags below one's name, and how do I change it?

You have to do something stupendously funny that the Admin notices.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Renault 5 driver???? Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Who puts those tags below one's name, and how do I change it?

Standard tags relate to how many posts you've made. I wouldn't draw the admin's attention, you might end up with something much worse!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:53 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Renault 5 driver???? Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Tony Norton wrote:
Who puts those tags below one's name, and how do I change it?

Standard tags relate to how many posts you've made. I wouldn't draw the admin's attention, you might end up with something much worse!

I posted nothing. Shifty Not that you'll see it for 3 weeks...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:17 - 27 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon and Paddy, sitting in a tree. K I S S I N G.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1