BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Custom seats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:19 - 29 Jan 2023    Post subject: Custom seats Reply with quote

We've used Top Sellerie for my wife's Rebel 500 and very impressed with the product. Also their website is quite good for selecting the design you want online. Only problem is now we're not in the EU it's a little bit agro getting the stuff delivered from France.

I've heard of Corbyn, but unless I'm mistaken I think they're based in USA and the same problems exist as with Top Sellerie in regards to customs and shipping.

Anyone care to recommend any other companies who do custom comfort gel/heated seats? Preferably UK-based with a decent online ordering website.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:15 - 29 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a Corbyn seat, it'll be short, ugly and antisemetic. Corbin seats on the other hand have a very good reputation. See if anyone's selling one on ebay, their international shipping program makes it easy. Effectively you pre-pay the shipping and duty then ebay import it for you and re-ship it from the UK.

I wouldn't have expected it to be too much agro getting one from France.

A lot depends on how much the seller wants to sell to you. if they do, they'll make it easy. You can usually tell with the French because if they didn't want to sell to the UK, they wouldn't have an English language website or be paying for a .co.uk website.

Anyway. I quite regularly buy stuff from india for my Enfields. Once your item hits the UK, the courier company contacts you to let you know what tax is due, you pay that through their website and they dispatch your part. Adds a day to the process. I'd say more than half the time, nobody bothers their arse anyway and the parts just arrive.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:03 - 29 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a gel Top Sellerie one for the Tracer, mate of mine got his K1300 saddle done by a local upholstery business. Took his original one there and asked them to redo it in memory foam.

The Top Sellerie one looks a lot fancier with its cool piping and Yamaha MT logos etc, but the local upholstery one is a whole league more comfortable and significantly cheaper & quicker too. So might be worth seeing who's recommended in your area.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:10 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Don't buy a Corbyn seat, it'll be short, ugly and antisemetic.

Very funny!

stinkwheel wrote:
See if anyone's selling one on ebay, their international shipping program makes it easy. Effectively you pre-pay the shipping and duty then ebay import it for you and re-ship it from the UK.

I wouldn't have expected it to be too much agro getting one from France.

To be honest it would probably be easier to order from Top Sellerie if they traded through Ebay. It's not just the customs side of things. Top Sellerie only take euros and they only take PayPal. You have to send your seat to them first or pay a surcharge up front, then try to get the refund off them for the surcharge etc. It can easily be done but it requires patience. It wouldn't put me off using them again, I was just wondering if there were any good alternatives based in UK.

stinkwheel wrote:
I quite regularly buy stuff from india for my Enfields. Once your item hits the UK, the courier company contacts you to let you know what tax is due, you pay that through their website and they dispatch your part. Adds a day to the process. I'd say more than half the time, nobody bothers their arse anyway and the parts just arrive.

We've had a few bits delivered from overseas recently and the customs invoice has come after the delivery. I've always paid it, but wondered what the repercussions would be, if any, if ignored. I.e. would it just be the courier company chasing me for the money or the tax man?!

Tierbirdy wrote:
I got a gel Top Sellerie one for the Tracer, mate of mine got his K1300 saddle done by a local upholstery business. Took his original one there and asked them to redo it in memory foam.

The Top Sellerie one looks a lot fancier with its cool piping and Yamaha MT logos etc, but the local upholstery one is a whole league more comfortable and significantly cheaper & quicker too. So might be worth seeing who's recommended in your area.

Could this be more to do with the bike / comfort of the original seat, rather than the company who reupholstered it?

Just a thought

dave001 wrote:
just use Top Sellerie iv orded a heated and gel padded seat

from them for MT10 after brexit

I recomend buying with there seat base as well as its no cheaper if you got to send yours all the way there

I take what you're saying but sometimes they don't have your seat already in stock and you have no option but to send your original seat to them, leaving you without a seat on your bike for weeks on end.

I do rate Top Sellerie, I just wish there was someone UK-based equally as good with a decent online design and ordering website.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:13 - 31 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we (I) should petition Vista Print to branch into saddle reupholstery Thinking

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:40 - 01 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure their is a custom seat company called Hurley based in the UK, might be in Scotland but cant remember, worth a Google

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
pretty sure their is a custom seat company called Hurley based in the UK, might be in Scotland but cant remember, worth a Google

I've personally used Tom Hurley, he's based in Livingston works out a nice little workshop in his back garden Laughing the guy does exceptionally good work and I couldn't recommend him enough

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 07 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I've personally used Tom Hurley, he's based in Livingston works out a nice little workshop in his back garden Laughing the guy does exceptionally good work and I couldn't recommend him enough

Give him your business. Anyone who lives in Livingston deserves all the leg-ups they can get.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 04 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd go down the genuine parts route so I ordered the raised heated seat from Ducati and it was delivered just in time to fit it before taking the bike to Devon for a long weekend (although I've not yet had chance to get the dealer to activate it in the menu).

Admittedly I haven't taken the standard seat for anywhere near as long a ride as I ended up taking the raised heated seat... but I think even after the first 50 miles I could tell a difference in the comfort levels and I fear, as someone else in a Ducati forum told me may be the case, that although there's more foam padding because the seat is higher and thicker than it was before, the heater element is actually making the top layer of the seat MORE firm than the standard non-heated seat and therefore less comfortable Sad

I'm not 100% sure. I'd want to fit the standard seat back to it and try a similar length trip again, but I was definitely feeling it less than an hour into the ride and I don't remember that being the case before.

Now I have two seats to hand I've decided to send one of them to Top Sellerie (because I really like their online ordering process where you can customise every little details and make it your own design).

Only problem is I'm now in two minds whether to send the original seat and just not have it heated (for allegedly more comfort), or put the idea that the heater elements actually reduce rider comfort down to nonsense and send the heated one to them.

Has anyone else here had any experience in heater elements either reducing comfort or able to confirm that's not true?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:22 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you on day release from the hospital again?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

will one of you two block the other for Petes sake. youre worse than a couple of menstrual women Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
I thought I'd go down the genuine parts route so I ordered the raised heated seat from Ducati and it was delivered just in time to fit it before taking the bike to Devon for a long weekend (although I've not yet had chance to get the dealer to activate it in the menu).

Admittedly I haven't taken the standard seat for anywhere near as long a ride as I ended up taking the raised heated seat... but I think even after the first 50 miles I could tell a difference in the comfort levels and I fear, as someone else in a Ducati forum told me may be the case, that although there's more foam padding because the seat is higher and thicker than it was before, the heater element is actually making the top layer of the seat MORE firm than the standard non-heated seat and therefore less comfortable Sad

I'm not 100% sure. I'd want to fit the standard seat back to it and try a similar length trip again, but I was definitely feeling it less than an hour into the ride and I don't remember that being the case before.

Now I have two seats to hand I've decided to send one of them to Top Sellerie (because I really like their online ordering process where you can customise every little details and make it your own design).

Only problem is I'm now in two minds whether to send the original seat and just not have it heated (for allegedly more comfort), or put the idea that the heater elements actually reduce rider comfort down to nonsense and send the heated one to them.

Has anyone else here had any experience in heater elements either reducing comfort or able to confirm that's not true?

ive never taken a bike seat apart, but the heating elements on car seats are very thin and shouldnt really affect comfort in any big way at all, id be surprised if it was heating element causing any issues

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that.

I've decided to go with Top Sellerie but am still in two minds over whether to have it heated or not.

dave001 wrote:
iv got gel and heated in my mt10 one and its very conftable

https://iili.io/HOlE3t1.md.jpg

way beter than standard seat dont regret for a min and i can see how it could be any more comftable

go for the gel and heat you wont regret it

unlike the original that eather makes you keep smacking your nuts on the tank

or ends up with you playing pocket billiards every few miles because its draged your nuts back up to your ass crack and after a few hours your ass is begging for mercy

Looking at your photo, looks like it's a Top Sellerie seat. Am I correct?

I had the genuine Yamaha comfort seat on my MT-10 SP when I had it and that was REALLY comfortable I could ride it all the way to south of France without any discomfort, only thing that bike let me down on was wind protection at triple digits, even with a taller screen fitted (which is ultimately one of the main reasons why I got rid of the bike).

I just kinda thought a bike built for comfort (i.e. the Pikes Peak I have now), that the genuine heated raised seat would give superior comfort to my previous bike and also the stock seat that came with the Pikes Peak. That appears not to be the case for either, it seems quite firm Sad

I'll definitely go gel from Top Sellerie, just dunno whether to send them the original seat and ask for it not to be heated... or send them the heated seat I got from Ducati and ask them to keep the Ducati heating elements in there.

I emailed Top Sellerie to get their opinion and their exact words were:

"The heating pad makes indeed the seat a little bit less softer but it remains comfortable anyway.
It depends rather on whether you really need heating or not."

I interpret that as - In other words, the heating element does negatively affect comfort, but only by a very small amount.

I have to be honest, I find the heated seat a bit of a gimmick. Admittedly I've not had the opportunity to use it in the winter but I can honestly say I've never found myself riding in colder weather wishing I'd had a heated seat. Heated grips, on the other hand, are a must!

Still deciding...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's been spooning the camel again.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Viking for seat customisation (memory foam, restyling, etc.) in Kent, near Brands Hatch.

https://www.viking-motorcycle-seats.co.uk/ Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1