Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Converted my GT to an ebike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Converted my GT to an ebike Reply with quote

Got myself a 750W Bafang mid drive kit with a 48V 20Ah battery and fitted it to my old GT Aggressor XC2, was actually quite easy to do. Bike is around the 22KG mark now but that's about right for cheap purpose built ebikes it seems, my battery is probably quite a bit bigger too i would think. 44T sprocket and a 9 speed on the back although I have a 36T coming soon.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the kit set you back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1998 called and wants its bar ends back. Razz

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
What did the kit set you back?

£730 Laughing I got a bit carried away with the battery and posh screen, but still considerably cheaper than buying a ready built one anyways.

Ste wrote:
1998 called and wants its bar ends back. Razz

Crying or Very sad I used to have metal ones back in the day.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great motors. If that's the previous sprocket and chain set best plan on replacing them in a few months. Maybe consider IGH.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched one explode in an impressive fireball on tiktok. He may have tinkered a step too far though. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/T1dPfFkq/Screenshot-20230304-091046-Gallery.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Great motors. If that's the previous sprocket and chain set best plan on replacing them in a few months. Maybe consider IGH.

Chain asploded on my first proper ride Laughing Luckily I had a quick link and chain tool on me, so not a big deal in the end. It's 10+ years old with 1000 miles so, plus I had re-used a pin when I removed the front derailleur which is where it (probably) failed.

My issue is I fitted the gear assist sensor (think DSG on a pedal bike Laughing ) and I lost all my climbing gears when I reconnected the cable, so I'm running on gears 5 - 9 and a 44T sprocket on the front. Tried a big f**k off hill and it didn't end well. Need to learn how to get my gears back, can't be bothered to pay someone else to do it.

I did about 30 miles this morning and had 47.5V showing on the display approx. 65% if the battery bar is to be trusted, battery bar showed 3 out of 4 lights (above 50%). I used PAS level 2 the entire time so I'm guessing I should be able to do around 60 miles, 50 to be safe. Some people claim 80 with my set up, but the issue is it's all uphill to my house so need to be careful.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal assist is all a bit variable, like trying to get decent mpg figures. You might want to try throttle only to set a base-line worst case scenario.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1