Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Steering lock stop missing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:32 - 04 Mar 2023    Post subject: Steering lock stop missing Reply with quote

I've realised after seeing an older CZ125 that mine seems to have the flange (1/2" square piece of metal) missing from the bottom of the headstock on the frame.

Oddly, the two tabs either side on the lower fork clamps/triple tree are still there. The bars do turn very far but the tabs contact the frame before they can get any further.

Is this going to cause me arseache at MOT time? If it is is it a case of having someone weld a bit of metal on? Whats strange is that there is absolutely zero evidence of it ever being there in the first place. I'm only going off of other older models.

The frame is in the process of being painted with two part epoxy hence the incredibly rough finish at the moment!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how it's making it unsafe to ride unless it trapped your hand.
It isn't a specific thing to be checked but they do look at typical stress points like headstock for any signs of cracks developing.
The best option will be take it for test and definitely don't mention it at all even casually - rather than attempt any weld job which could damage bearings from heat and attract attention.
At worst an MOT fee lost but they won't fail it for that if they notice at all might be an advisory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:16 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily a fail if you don't have a lock stop, but what will be is if the bars turn far enough to hit the tank or other bodywork, or trap cables etc. That's all my tester checks for anyway.

See Section 2.1.4: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/2-steering

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:20 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has someone welded/glued the bottom bearing race on?? Shocked

As above, if the bars/forks can hit the tank, it'll fail the MOT, if they can't, you're good.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Has someone welded/glued the bottom bearing race on?? Shocked

As above, if the bars/forks can hit the tank, it'll fail the MOT, if they can't, you're good.

Welded the race on? Where did you get that from?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:59 - 05 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Welded the race on? Where did you get that from?

Maybe it's an insert type.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1