Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Historically accurate replica war hammer, where to get one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:56 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Historically accurate replica war hammer, where to get one? Reply with quote

Daft thing to want to buy but i do. So, where can I buy a decent acurate replica of a medieval war hammer? There are quite a lot of sites selling historical weapon replicas for re-enactment it seems but where are the right ones?

Cheers.[/u]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:29 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Daft thing to want to buy but i do. So, where can I buy a decent acurate replica of a medieval war hammer? There are quite a lot of sites selling historical weapon replicas for re-enactment it seems but where are the right ones?

Cheers.[/u]

Check out skillagrims youtube channel, he reviews quite a lot of HEMA gear.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenforge.co.uk stock a few different ones depending on if you want a HEMA or a display piece.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
Ravenforge.co.uk stock a few different ones depending on if you want a HEMA or a display piece.

Im wanting a come the zombie apocalypse im prepared but looks good hanging on the wall meantime.

This looks the business and closely resembles the real thing found on museam sites. https://www.theknightshop.com/windlass-warhammer-with-spike

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
virus wrote:

Im wanting a come the zombie apocalypse im prepared but looks good hanging on the wall meantime.

This looks the business and closely resembles the real thing found on museam sites. https://www.theknightshop.com/windlass-warhammer-with-spike

That's quite small and light 67cm long, 1kg. Either for single handed use or 'minaturised' for display? The other one... https://www.theknightshop.com/fiore-war-hammer is more the correct size historically I would have thought. 112cm long, 1.8 kg.

https://www.theknightshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/c9dcfd7b7989a8e877246fb8f9b6b76e/6/0/601004_battlecry-fiore-war-hammer_1.jpg

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an authentic one from the period https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/25073

Interesting how rough the forging is compared with the reproductions available.

This one is interesting as you can see how the long strap like parts are forged into the head.
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/33849

A Wikipedia entry says the longer pole hammers were for the foot soldier and the shorter for using on horseback.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Interesting how rough the forging is compared with the reproductions available.

15th Century... harder to keep the forge up to temp with an apprentice hung over from too much mead the night before working the bellows. The raw metal would also be inconsistent and have had to be worked by hand - power hammer? Unlikely. The cited example might also have been churned out for warfare en masse so little care spent on it.

Asking a bit much aren't we Wink

Quote:
A Wikipedia entry says the longer pole hammers were for the foot soldier and the shorter for using on horseback.

Much the same as rifles vs. carbines.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a forge. When I was at art school i loved the forge and was always working on stuff. Its hard looking at war hammers to work out how theyre actually made. They look simple but theres a lot more to them especially the ones with a top spike.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.celticwebmerchant.co.uk/axe-with-hammer-16th-century.html

This is getting out of hand!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:51 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern smiths do a lot of finishing work using a belt grinder, they forge big to rough dimensions then remove stock with a grinder and hacksaws to get to the final shape. Holes are drilled on a pillar drill.

Historical smiths would only have had access to files and a pedal grindstone, holes would have been punched, stock would have been hot-cut. They are a lot less precise in terms of squareness and accuracy (although arguably superior in strength) Everything would have been forged as close to final dimensions as possible then just finished off with files and such.

If you want to have a forge, just make one. All you need is a bucket, some refractory cement and some bellows (I'd suggest an electric blower rather than hand bellows).
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8Dcif28CfiS38jGetUX3ul-psqiB2Ay6Ol39lcjtmOpRMGuKIu9Oc3sCWMRXV3WzEAp92wpJ2uQZFlYdt60HTsgOY8UpzFDWCeXd9rTzd3KS5yFMJjnGQOCtX-laBDsNqVQ39eaFWBCkc5q2DfupR1m=w1292-h969-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8DN005oQj0M3yj53QhiYX0QJ4PlqOeMpQETxzXpeE6Y6-so5oczKjWmQJlQtuMmQde1FmdbEVSZuaYF0tfd7GeMWU1cSmf58qENoGSMn8BCnkGHNH-yiAHqmOEWw0fsaM4DM0CZwl2i0JMK8QlCb52b=w727-h969-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8CigQ6wKXfvXG9FZrabkzPPuvSbbS06r6y2vwcT3hNsXWlHtKuNXp8K7mUnqzV1uaXmuuGFfgcHqoz4vyyHNqpz2KB80kpDGv64U7abs8auio_Zj7NobdECbyYevik1GBSjRAX0da0DQBnvXNWA78dp=w1292-h969-no

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the usual problem of getting a project off the ground even though i have the garden space. The big sticking point is getting a decent anvil. A good anvil and a hammer and I could fabricate other tools.

I used to be pretty good at forging back in the day. It all boils down to five processes, drawing out, cutting, bending, peircing and welding (forge welding). I never managed a good forge weld though but i didn't know back then you need a flux for that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they made a war hammer on 'Forged In Fire'?

I must admit I do enjoy watching that programme. Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Have they made a war hammer on 'Forged In Fire'?

I must admit I do enjoy watching that programme. Thumbs Up

Id like to see Nevil from Salvage hunters on it, he would wipe the yanks out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:44 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
It's the usual problem of getting a project off the ground even though i have the garden space. The big sticking point is getting a decent anvil. A good anvil and a hammer and I could fabricate other tools.

I used to be pretty good at forging back in the day. It all boils down to five processes, drawing out, cutting, bending, peircing and welding (forge welding). I never managed a good forge weld though but i didn't know back then you need a flux for that.

You don't need an anvil. A striking block is absolutely fine. Round over one edge with a grinder, glue it down to a bit of railway sleeper or make a stand for it and you're good to go.

Alec Steele is a big proponant of using a mild steel striking block, especially for beginners because if you mis-hit, it wont spall. If you look at his early videos, he uses a simple 5 x 12 x 3" mild steel striking block with a hardy hole almost exclusively and used to run courses where you made your own set of smiths tools using one. I have a 6" cube of mild steel off ebay for a striking block.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1