Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fk my old boots

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Fk my old boots Reply with quote

Got home from a ride on Wednesday and the sole on my boot was missing! They have a stiff inner sole and I did not notice until I took it off, close inspection and the other boot is going the same way, Am I expecting too much from my boots? Hand made Altbergs, 20 years old and only used on the sprint circuit for most of their life so they have done less than 1000 miles and been worn for about 50 days.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:53 - 26 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sole material degrades over time because it's got natural rubber in it. Happened with Mrs stinkwheels altberg hiking boots. Hers were about 15 years old but have seen a lot of use and a not inconsiderable amount of neglect. They resoled them for her.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years is a long time for glue to stay stuck on anything. That's all there would have been holding the sole on.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The sole material degrades over time because it's got natural rubber in it. Happened with Mrs stinkwheels altberg hiking boots. Hers were about 15 years old but have seen a lot of use and a not inconsiderable amount of neglect. They resoled them for her.

The sole that remained on the boot has not degraded, it is the glue that has failed.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be worth having a chat with Altberg about it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be less concerned about the 20-year lifespan, more that I was riding in footwear that was evidently just a gnat's away from disintegration without it being obvious. Wouldn't much like to go down the road wearing a sole-less boot...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 27 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some vintage FrankThomas (FT1? boots with diamond stitching on the shin) that are still holding together, after 30+ years. Don't get that much use though..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
The sole that remained on the boot has not degraded, it is the glue that has failed.

Probably not.
As has been said the rubber degrades and the glue finds the layer it is attached to is no longer part of the boot.
Commonly happens on Military Goretex boots. Thats why they have manufacture dates and sell off new boots at 3 years old, problem normally starts at 5-8 years.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange things happen to paraboots with age.
I had a pair one side actually got holed in upper but kept the good one, only when I wanted it to match another the rubber in heel had turned into something like breadcrumbs inside.
It was in a dark cupboard too so age more than light damage like a perished tyre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I had a pair one side actually got holed in upper but kept the good one, only when I wanted it to match another the rubber in heel had turned into something like breadcrumbs inside.

Read the post two above this one. Its the rubber perishing.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of RST boots a couple of years ago and the sole began to separate after 6 months. It was a big hassle dealing with the merchant and eventually getting my money back after a lot of arguing, letters and emails back and forth.
I'm not looking forward to buying my next pair of bike boots. Just doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to make boots that last any longer than the barest minimum, and the sole would have to stay stuck on even though it has a stiffer undersole. Never any data available on any tests to failure they did. Probably the only data used when selecting glues and materials was taking an average of how many miles are biked every year. Made-up example: if 1000 miles are averaged a year, the boot gets flexed 100000 times in 2 years, so no need to select a glue and rubber combo strong enough to outlast 100000 30-degree bends. Customer is a vacuous dentist who gets all his consumer advice from Youtube shills, and mostly cares about either armour or looks, so focus on those things. You want that customer back in a couple of years to buy again anyway. Just a suspicion. Anyway, the design and use parameters of a good and long-lasting bike boot are an engineering challenge that doesn't seem to get scrutinised much by reviewers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:00 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It was in a dark cupboard too so age more than light damage like a perished tyre.

There was a bad batch of British army assault boots where the soles crumbled to dust. There was a big shitstorm about it at the time because they'd been issued to troops deployed in the gulf. They got sold off as military surplus. I got a set at a car boot sale for a tenner and you could pick big lumps off the soles with your fingers.

Shortly after the army started issuing high liability boots to troops on active deployment made by altberg, haix and one other well known high quality boot maker whos name temporarily escapes me. These can be found as surplus now and can be a good buy.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had a problem with the sole on Dr Martens, even after a couple of decades.
well, except for that time i fell asleep with my feet in front of the fire Rolling Eyes

i have boots with leather soles as well, which i guess solves the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:00 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know soles fall off para boots if you put your feet too close to the fire because the glue fails if it gets too hot.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Fk my old boots Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
Got home from a ride on Wednesday and the sole on my boot was missing! They have a stiff inner sole and I did not notice until I took it off, close inspection and the other boot is going the same way, Am I expecting too much from my boots? Hand made Altbergs, 20 years old and only used on the sprint circuit for most of their life so they have done less than 1000 miles and been worn for about 50 days.

/\ Cobblers.

Mr. Minute or whom so ever still repair footwear.

Probably get another 20 years out of them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I know soles fall off para boots if you put your feet too close to the fire because the glue fails if it gets too hot.

That was a blatent back handed ask for when and where will 2023 BCF BBQ B?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1