Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fortnine - CO2 & Helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Fortnine - CO2 & Helmets Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/x_ej8sehs8k

tl;dr sitting at the lights traps CO2 in your helmet to the point of mental impairment after several minutes. Opening the visor does not help, removing the "chin curtain" does Thinking

I have two helmets, a nice retro helmet for the summer with no chin curtain. Nice! I'm safe. Winter I have a cheap Vcan with a chin curtain to keep out the cold. Oh dear! Hang on, there's a vent on the front/chin of the helmet and a sizeable one at that...

https://cdn.jsac.media/products/55135/vcan-v128-helmet-hollow-matt-black-no-size-152135-02.jpg?width=568

Surely that would have an impact?

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:12 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this actually a thing? Or something dreamed up for content Thinking

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars don't have 'CO2 filters' and spend more time at lights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:09 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wounder how the Stig manages, wearing a full face helmet in a car....

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:
Is this actually a thing? Or something dreamed up for content Thinking

Why shouldn't it be a thing? Sounds totally plausible to me. I've certainly experienced it feeling 'stuffy' inside a helmet on occasions, and I don't even use a chin curtain (I find it makes misting up more likely, which checks out).
Also - I don't know if you've ever watched Fortnine's stuff, but he does some interesting material and is worth a look. I genuinely don't believe he would just make up stuff like this - it would be easy enough to replicate his experiment (and would be good if someone did, under lab conditions)

doggone wrote:
Cars don't have 'CO2 filters' and spend more time at lights.

Have you considered the volume of the inside of a car, compared with a helmet? Thinking

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health Canada (and other countries) set a long-term CO2 limit of 1000ppm (0.1%) so his example of 6 minutes at 1370ppm won’t be significant.

Quote:
In fact, each breath from an average adult contains 35,000 parts per million (ppm) of CO2.

Quote:
Health Canada has set the long-term exposure limit for CO2 in residential settings (i.e. in your home) at 1000 ppm, averaged over a 24-hour period. However, it is normal for CO2 levels to fluctuate and serious health effects are not expected below 5,000 ppm.

https://www.peterboroughpublichealth.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/CO2-Monitoring-for-Indoor-Air-Quality-March-25-2022.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:59 - 12 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the people who insisted they couldn't breathe with a thin cloth mask on....

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:51 - 03 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's like the people who insisted they couldn't breathe with a thin cloth mask on....

It was probably all the dust or spores coming off these untested foreign made masks along with microscopic jagged fibres causing that.

In this day and age should have been proper face filters or helmets instead of wasted money and resources on other pet projects.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but, filtering (sorry, lane splitting) in not legal in Canada, so they probably spend way more time sat stationary in traffic than we do

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's any issue with raised CO2 it will be from their own rebreathing though. It's just another half-baked story from the anti car lobby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harvard study he's citing is based on indoor air quality in an office, so somewhere your sat for 7 hours a day not a couple of minutes in busy traffic.
I like fortnines videos but he seems to stretch the truth sometimes. Maybe he should do some actual cognitive tests to prove it has an impact.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 06 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Maybe he should do some actual cognitive tests to prove it has an impact.

Back in the day I recall a very "problematic" piece of journalism from PC Zone. They all went to play something like Counterstrike or whatever but one load of ppl were sober and the other started knocking back the tins. The unscientific results were that moar beer = moar skillz... up to a point but then skill dropped off a cliff Shocked

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to open my visor sometimes, just to smell a bit of exhaust fumes mixed with the smell of wet grass after it's been raining. Is there any better smell? Anyway, when I breathe in CO2 my usual tactic is to exhale it a moment later.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:33 - 11 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO2 levels in blood cause respiratory activity.
When level get high enough we breathe in 2 lumps of fresh air.
CO2 in motorbike helmets has been studied.
The study has also been heavily criticised as being a shit study.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning or other vehicle exhaust gad compounds are probably more harmful than any 'build up' of respiratory CO2 in a helmet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1