BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MZ vs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 22 Mar 2015    Post subject: MZ vs? Reply with quote

I quite fancy an 80's MZ ETZ 250, I don't know why. Embarassed But still can be had for reasonable money, they're reliable, two stroke, and from the 80's and usually come with a minimalist, ratty look that really appeals to me. Laughing

I'd use it as for everything, as always, i'd stick some semi knobblies on to take it mudding with me, bring it to work with me, bodge some form of luggage on and maybe go off exploring on it, I'd use it for anything you could think of a bike being used for, except for a track day maybe. Twisted Evil

Anything else to be considered? How do they compare to the CZ'z and Jawas of the same ilk? What about jap bikes of the same era with a similar design?

Thanks. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly good all rounders as long as you don't expect too much from it.

It has decent acceleration, and can indeed surprise some in the traffic light race. All body parts are metal, so no brittle plastic flexing then breaking off.

Suspension is surprisingly decent in my opinion too. But the front needs half an inch pre-load extra unless you like floatingly bouncy rides. And if it's a 250cc, make sure it has the stronger/tougher 250 rear springs, the 125's have lesser pre-load on theirs I believe. At least that is what I've found.

Speedo cables are very long as the speedo is driven from the rear wheel. It can sometimes be quite innacurate and simply changing down a gear can change the speedo to read 10mph less than it did instantly. I guess they flex alot more and wear due to the length. A secondary bicycle speedo I'd get for more accurate speed measurement.

Clutch can be quite snatchy/grabby. And in my case has the issue of both having clutch drag at low rpm speed, and clutch slip sometimes when you get a move on. motor oil or transmission oil can be used, but if you use transmission make sure it is GL4 graded or less. GL5 WILL bind the plates together as that specification oil effects the cork compound. And while we're on the case of the clutch. Make sure the clutch basket is on the tapered crank end with the appropriate torque. If it comes off the taper it is likely to cause damage to both components.

Make sure the ignition is properly adjusted and the machine can fly. And from what i've heard, the points don't simply 'slip' like they apparently do on Jawa's and CZ's. But no experience of those two manufactures.

Gearing is seemingly very tall.

Compared to a Jap bike of that era..I dunno. A Jap bike won't let you down for the most part, but if an MZ does suddenly stop working, all you might have to do is put the wire back on the spade attachment, or file the points, etc. Because although they may not be the most reliable, they are at least somewhat easier to fix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A surprising new random bike idea there Adam? Laughing

I can't say owt though, as yesterday and today I've been thinking about trying to see if I can get a frame kit or just a knackered old moped/mini bike/pitbike kind of machine that's able to be made road legal, and I want to power it with a 5-6bhp 4stroke Briggs& Stratton or Honda GXV engine.

I quite like the Cushman style mini bikes, but one with simple rear suspension/shocks and again something that's able to be made road legal. I know it won't compare to an awesome Kawasaki KSR80, but it should be less nickable parked outside Tesco etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an MZTS 250 Supa 5 from the same era. A bike with character. A Yamaha YDS7 would piss on it but there was something about the MZ. Jawa's and CZ's wre probably worthy work horses but the MZ was a bit different, maybe to do with the heritage of the company and it being the daddy of all 2 strokes as we know them today.
Get one if you get chance. Main bearings are a bit sus so if it's done +20k look at replacing them. 6 volt electrics are quaint and points are a pain but it just adds to the character. Finish and ally bits are suprisingly good.

OGR

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:24 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Re: MZ vs? Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
I'd use it for anything you could think of a bike being used for, except for a track day maybe. Twisted Evil

Your imagination is to limited. - Bantam Club had their own race series for'em... they weren't slow either; seen a few lap Mallory in around 1m05 which was on the pace for the X7 and RD challenge bikes, and up with the mid-field in a 250 proddy against the KR1s & RGV's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent bikes, but dont compare them to the japanese or italian sports smokers. The etz 250/251/301 etc are more competitors for the cb250, gn250 and similar.

TS250s have the best finish, later etz models get creature comforts like autolube, electronic ignition, bing carburettors and the option of a 293cc motor. Very late ones are made in turkey by Kanuni. The kanuni models are basically mechanically identical to the german models, with all the later model upgrades. The seyhan is hideous but benefits from a huge fuel tank. Later autolube models are less likely to shit out their main bearings.

Fuel economy is 60mpg pushed hard, 80 or so if ridden gently. Reliability is reasonably good, maintenance generally pretty easy and spares are still available provided you dont mind ordering bits from germany.

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bmzrc.net/

Wouldn't write trackdays off Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to sell them new back in early 90's

neither were much trouble, mainly owner related problems

the CZ's we had to put sealant on the crank seals to stop them popping out

and after delivering one to a guy in handsworth and giving him all the instruction on how much 2 stroke to mix in using the cup under the fuel cap......he went down the pub and his mate told him that you have to put the 2 stroke oil in the tank under the seat, so he filled it up, only it wasn't a 2 stroke tank it was the airbox, next day he's on the phone mouthing off about how the engine has "locked up", it was hydraulically locked with oil Laughing

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:47 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing about these bikes (including Jawa/CZ) is that they cost peanuts.

For around £500 you can pick up a perfectly decent 250/350 which is perfectly sound and will plod away for years. I've used my Jawa 350 throughout the winter and it's been fantastic. Easy to start, quick enough and bloody comfy. Mind you, I like a bike with a bit of character so they're maybe not a good choice for new riders but great fun if you know how a bike works.

I really like the enclosed chain-guard, semi auto gearbox and combined kickstart/shift lever......makes it a bit different. Clutches need a bit of attention but easy to access.

And, if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid - always a decent amount of bids on these bikes on ebay. You can't really go wrong.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny teffers mentions the bantam, that's where my though process began on the road to MZ. I was just out pottering on my CRM 250 a near Christmas and I heard a two stroke come up behind me, sounding unlike my own two stroke. As it approached, I looked round and some bloke on a bantam came screaming (!) past. I loved the look and the sound and reminded me of a trials prepped bantam me and my dad nearly bought a few years ago.

I was already aware of the MZ race series, I only ruled out track days because despite thinking about taking an MZ round a track, I never will.

It's a change from my usual style of bike, but seeing Paddy's GP100 pop-up for sale re-kindled my lust for an 80's two smoker hack. I am aware they aren't going to set the world alight with their performance, but that's not why you buy an MZ really is it? Laughing

That's some good info, keep it coming! If I were to go and pick one up are there any tell-tale stay-away signs for one? Something obvious without trying to strip it down on the blokes drive to look at tapered crank ends? Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:47 - 23 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain. wrote:
https://bmzrc.net/

Wouldn't write trackdays off Laughing

Big difference to a standard one and still wouldn't be my choice for a trackday (racing where everyone has similar machines is a different matter). Further, the bikes doing ok generally have had a lot of work; gazdaman on here did a trackday on a pretty stock one.
He enjoyed it, but just watching it looked a tad scary to me Smile.

Personally, having seen enough people with them, they seem far too much hassle for the hipster-value (which seems to be the main pro-point) ... just get some skin tight jeans or something?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 353 days between these two posts...
Kmiroslaw28 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with my CZ they're no longer the cheap bargains they were. You can get a much better condition jap bike with FAR better performance for the same money.

You need to WANT the old - VERY - basic two stroke. Hell, you can even get a good RS125 Aprilia for similar money.

Having said that, they (including MZ) have a certain charm. The issues I've found are VERY poor quality factory manuals with a lot of minor model changes over the years which can make finding the right part an utter nightmare.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now thats how you pass the turing test.

Still think OP is a nob for not noticing the cobwebs on the thread though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1