Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

350 bullet Trials redux

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:38 - 23 Feb 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake lever Mk 3. Is not light, shouldn't break. I made the tip piece removable so I can fit a pivoting one once I have the time and mental space but I need it for a trial next weekend. Welding seemed to go better this time. Classy gold anodised MTB pedal studs.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8DrXazds3pEd03CPFzlpZbqz2nMH0gHPdDo_qlasv7kTq1wkYBb15xv64vo_LKJtuuR18ZK1DSLTYaGM2PgWQ1Rg57Fmu73fPdm3ffPhdCBZIgWgLd_Qe5WwydfwWKohF0UdlXynYlPhMPH4i1QNSCx=w1547-h870-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8D99snzCibPdVMleM467Iso72J7ebD1kjqyxb3DGsupdUQVQKyszR7kYnxRYP-mdPSUiHdFRGcMnXQUuSoK8k94pyO0eINSR6YHC3HByW8wgpHBFXq1qHQlzhmyXkKRnYU4MWKZOEDm8tSmwXHf4dpy=w1547-h870-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8DNbz3HSf6b1L-oOzMhtdE8c8vc3xbCSGYAASFpeJnsfYGOCLoV2kVGuWSJ_iaYCZS1UA1Ojr3kIdrHob0tXLjwilZpV0WJLfN-4qWbaZTWBXvMXHlx8g1YLMeaEKbY4QDHHu6ZWZOSs69SLHtSUViR=w490-h870-no

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just completed the Middle England Classic Vehicle Club Durham Dales trial at the weekend.

Weather held out nicely, it stayed dry with a couple of very light misty snow showers. Covered 82 miles of mixed road, greenlane and observed sections through some of the very scenic upland areas.

In terms of the trial, it was scored in modern trials scoring this time rather than being sub-divided into 12 points like previous years. i cleaned 8 of the 17 sections, got 3 points on three and failed 6 sections. One of those I decided not to attempt because I was 100% going to fail it and having seen the rigmarole it took to get bikes half the weight of mine back down off the section, I thought I'd save my and everyone elses energy. I mised three of them due to a breakdown and looking at the other peoples scores who were close to me in the running order, there's a good chance I'd have managed them. But I didn't so I finished 33rd out of 39 with three retirements.

One section, which I found most challenging last time was cancelled due to having a 4ft deep flood right across the track. It would probably have been dropped anyway because everybody failed it last time I did it and if everyone in a class fails a section on a long distance trial, it's struck off the scoresheet for that class.

Had one actual crash where I over-braked coming down a steep, mud and gravel incline between sections and the front end tucked under, need to buy a new plastic box for my roadbook after that.

In terms of my performance, I felt a lot more confident and there were parts where i really felt I was letting the bike ride under me and do its own thing rather than me being on top of it fighting for control. The wider rear tyre definitely helped, as did the softer rear shocks. I took some horrible lines at some points and just gave it some more gas and managed to plough on through and I think I'm getting better at getting on the power earlier then back off it when the grip disappears but i still have a ways to go with that.

In terms of the bike, it did really well. My breakdown was a blown main fuse. I have no idea why it blew because it was in the middle of a straight road section. It took me an inordinate amount of time to get at it in the tea caddy filter housing I'm using as an battery/electrics box. i bodged it by wrapping wire round the fuse terminals then flicking on the ignition to see what the ammeter was doing. It seemed fine and got me to a service station where I got a new fuse and had no problems after that.

There are a few things on the list to change/service. I need to adjust the gearshift because it was having trouble shifting down and jumped out of gear a couple of times. I need a different electrical/battery box that's easier to access and have ordered an aluminium wiring enclosure box with a screw-on lid for this purpose. The rear tyre still lacks grip but it's the best I can get for a 19" rim. I'm not going to consider a rim swap with a new tyre so I'll consider changing it when it's worn out. I do also have a spare rear wheel so I'll see how enthusiastic I feel in that regard.

Gearing is still too high. I outright ran out of puff on a couple of sections with steep climbs and was probably going too fast through some of the more technical ones. There is a pay-off with the LDTs because you still need a vaguely reasonable road speed too.

Also ordered some new rear brake shoes from Prices. The ones I have seem to have no bite despite chalking them up and profiling them. They were an unknown quantity anyway, came fitted to a crusader brake plate i bought on ebay. They were unused but I suspect they are both very cheap and very old.

Overall very happy, had a great day out and sore legs the next day! I can't do anything much more about the weight of the bike and weight really is the enemy on a lot of it. I do feel sorry for my mate who came with his F650 Dakkar and despite having much more agressive tyres, retired after the first section due to an inability to find any grip. It was a useful exercise though. He like me wants to do some of the MCC trials and now knows he'll either need different tyres with much lower pressures and rimlocks or ideally, a different bike.

Very short video of setting off and riding past in Alston about halfway round. I'm the one in the fetching dayglo yellow gloves.
https://youtu.be/2cXJXeh0bQE

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:12 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some working out on gearing. I used an online gearing calculator at https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear-bikes

I have GPS data from the first half of the Durham Dales trial.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8DIN7BIiR-CRxt9gF3SIy-3gKPYJr9oPl32h-BkVP9HO81q3gnL0IviPJLE--ebrg0tRUzZyhFLql0Wrb0TctxK7NN-CD2Y0e0Pa3t0yFMVsIRuqNRz5oQXUjj7Jkm6pFF-K3SJUMaeRowGWaWgZQkK=w1680-h545-no

As you can see, there were only a few times I went over 40mph, even though I could have. This is a function of riding on greenlanes for a lot of it, having 6psi in the rear tyre and not wanting to overspeed a chain tensioner. I wasn't holding up the group I was with. So if I can maintain 40mph, that's probably fast enough.

There are a few ways i could alter the gearing. Obvious is final drive sprockets but I'm thinking primary drive is a better plan for a couple of reasons. First is it's cheaper and easier on this bike. Second is It's still on the original primary chain which looks fine but has been in there for over 90k miles. Third is, a bigger rear sprocket would be a hell of a fol-de-roll to have machined up and a smaller front would create issues with chain clearance round the swingarm.

After plugging in all my gearing details into the calculator, I settled for replacing the standard 25 tooth engine sprocket for an 18 tooth one. This shifts the primary drive ratio from 2.24 to 3.11 and puts second gear pretty close to where first is now. This gives me a WAY slower first gear so I'm on the power if i need to hop over something and the option of climbing hills in first or second depending on steepness and level of grip. The huge gap between 3rd and 4th (4th is always 1:1 so the lower trials gearing makes this gap enormous) means I should still be able to do just over 40mph on the road.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8DprEYntvHiU5NWbJgX4at0NafxNt82i4jCGFVh_TFrlueekjFUNVWIwMypuAxE-nXEVAHfAQ0XWcOXxZXJAfgigcJW46TY_NvJkvE34UM2OFPwXiBfrozBVhLitHFCHg0fSU8DNCxz0axXRgWNukNG=w644-h870-no

Here's the rpm vs speed overlayed.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8D8HmI-ZN52Omu8tbKA7yWhC83e_Z8uB9Z643ckz-mMVKZwT5clOTe3sTjCBroN5VGRvoqz-iKOaLYUx14zBcsvrVjIcK4214-Ek4BV5DNo1i4S_s8Fqn-RFP6C28uUjfdIiykf5Yhb8gm5gtA4mlzy=w793-h337-no

This may prove to be a tad low for the classic long distance trials but I have options for upping the front sprocket to 21 teeth from the current 18 which will only improve the swingarm clearance.

The parts arrived yesterday. I might do a video because fitting includes clutch and alternator removal and reassembly. New electrics box is in the post.

Might be able to wheelie it now!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding fuses, round ones? On my father-in-law's Z1000 we replaced the old fuse box with a modern blade type affair and half the old fuses auto dismantled upon removal.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:10 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I made it with a standard size blade fuse holder so I can get replacements at service stations. I replace any oddball fuse holders on my bikes with blade fuses.

I shoudl really look into trip/reset fuses which fit into standard blade holders. I think some of them even have a light that comes on when they trip.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:22 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed over the engine sprocket. Did a video because it includes stripping and reassembling the clutch and alternator.

I'd forgotten how this would effectively raise the gearing on the kickstart which operates through the clutch. The decompressor is now absolutely necessary but it should improve starting because the engine will now turn over further with each kick.

Haven't done a road test yet, I need to make a bracket for my new wiring enclosure first.

https://youtu.be/u20G1XJWz3E
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8