Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki RG125 Brake Disc and Caliper Problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Mar 2023    Post subject: Suzuki RG125 Brake Disc and Caliper Problem Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am currently doing up my RG125 I rescued what was left of it for £200 years ago and ive decided to turn it into a cafe racer, its coming on well.

I have just come to look at the brakes, and noticed that not only was the front caliper not standard, it had been wearing through the inner part of the disc.

The disc is a 3 Bolt mounting type, but i understand there is some upgrade or something you can do as they were apparently quite bad brakes from the factory.

I am after a Brake Disc and Caliper that will fit.

EDIT Ive just been on CMSNL and the standard forks have top nuts with a Hex bolt head on, these are a Cap head screw in.... So these forks aren't standard either possibly.
I know the top Yoke isnt standard, but ive made a bolt on the CNC for that which will work nicely, the standard top Yoke is flimsy and requires the handlebars to be on top to act as a top clamp for the forks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 13 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGV250 / GSXR400 front end is a straight swop.

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
RGV250 / GSXR400 front end is a straight swop.

Even the 1990 model Smile Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:03 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to a CNC machine, pick a calliper and M/C you like and fabricate an alloy mounting plate for it.

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you have access to a CNC machine, pick a calliper and M/C you like and fabricate an alloy mounting plate for it.

Thats a very good point, I could choose a twin pison caliper and make an adapter to bolt to the forks, awesome thanks for that ill get too it Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a HELL braided brake hose.
The standard hose can provide a very spongey brake.
It's a very cheap mod that can produce excellent results.
No need to phaph with the rear as it's the most unused part of a motorbike. Unless you're on a tract and know how to use it.

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way of getting a universal Tachometer and MPH speedo, the bike came with a set of clocks, but I've no idea why they bothered, the bike has a cable operated tachometer and the clocks that are on it require an electronic signal, which im not sure if you can even get off the RG125 Gamma.

If i could find a cable operated Tach and Cable Speedo in MPH (With a neutral and indicator LED/Bulb for MOT) that would be great.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very exciting to look at but FleaBay has plenty of generic options, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175345402712

Not explained in the listing but these have mechanical tacho input and electronic speed input via a sensor & magnet stuck to rim or spoke. Then a right faff to program in the overall wheel circumference to calibrate the speedo display.

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i think i will have to get something like that, i put a full electronic custom dash on my friends NSR125 about 10 years ago I think it was.

Ill have a look for some options Smile

supra3turbo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if another suzuki clocks would fit, like these off a GS650

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285183216702?hash=item42663e8c3e:g:LmwAAOSwqCFkDz7K&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwNhMlHp9k9ZTOLZPegE6q70RHX1%2Fbwux8GXjNjVxQoqFVwk1ekjr5792X6xi70KUYLLL6AHUO4VCbURqQtonwB%2B8pddeqmuklWilO08xl8vrhl9T9m8GvverJeRthxQFnfc6qW4TWtItj21fKe3PSJKg1hgfcA41s%2F0v38NROVZhpUdAOvYKsyJoi2MOoyYMupaUy%2FZn8ocxJbAHpwrw8ixxwkMnJTn9l%2BHqJWp6TWItUu1nS8MrnlaMvomlkXcCjQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7yP3oPeYQ

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:43 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get aftermarket speedos that use GPS.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 17 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Not very exciting to look at but FleaBay has plenty of generic options, e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175345402712

Not explained in the listing but these have mechanical tacho input and electronic speed input via a sensor & magnet stuck to rim or spoke. Then a right faff to program in the overall wheel circumference to calibrate the speedo display.

Digital speedometer is the same as a cycle computer.
Set it up then corroborating using a phone GPS app.
Adjust to suit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1