Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:03 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years. Reply with quote

After 10 years living in Canada with only two short trips back to the UK in that time. l am going to have to start spending much more time for the next 2-3 years in the UK due to my father being terminally ill. Apart from the much better winter weather l don't have the urge to return.

I am going to be travelling without the wife and kids for the most part so am looking to buy a bike to use when l am over which makes the most economical sense staying on the outskirts of London.

I still have a copy of my UK Full bike license which l presume would be easier to use when it comes to getting insurance etc than my Canadian one? Can you still get monthly insurance?

Has much changed in and around London since l last rode there? I have heard of the ULEZ anything else to be aware of?

Bike wise l would love to get a VFR750 again l am leaning towards a upright riding position due to having spinal surgery a few years ago. Kawasaki Versys 650 seem to look quite good but might be too small for my 6'1" size budget is around 3k.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a UK address that you can justify as your home in the UK? Do a change of address and get your licence delivered there.

Monthly insurance hasn't been a thing for decades. You can pay monthy but what you are doing is paying the loan for your insurance every month, you are still liable for the full annual amount.

ULEZ means really old bikes and about 15 year old and younger bikes are allowed free, everything else incurs a daily charge.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:18 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR crossrunner sprang to mind but it would blow your budget.

Multistrada 1000? Pig ugly but sweetie money.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:20 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Do you have a UK address that you can justify as your home in the UK? Do a change of address and get your licence delivered there.

When l changed my UK licence over in Canada they took away the the UK one as they dont allow you to keep it for use in Canada. Though what l did was to get a new copy of my UK licence sent to my fathers UK address, so l have that to use again.

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Monthly insurance hasn't been a thing for decades. You can pay monthy but what you are doing is paying the loan for your insurance every month, you are still liable for the full annual amount.

I think it was Ebike insurnace that used to offer this. Even a one year policy still wouldnt be too expensive for a 36 year old.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The VFR crossrunner sprang to mind but it would blow your budget.

Multistrada 1000? Pig ugly but sweetie money.

I almost got a crossrunner in Canada before l picked up my KTM 1190 but far too much money for a overseas part time bike.

Multistrada look very reasonble. I came across a Australian guy who was traveling North America on one last summer and he had over 90,000km on the bike which was surprising for a Ducati.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years. Reply with quote

tatters wrote:

Has much changed in and around London since l last rode there? I have heard of the ULEZ anything else to be aware of?

Good things: You can ride in nerly all of the bus lanes now and cars aren't allowed in them at any time

Bad: ULEZ, Councils charging for parking, loads of back-roads are closed off with camera enforcement, 20 limits everywhere (whole boroughs in some cases).

Many bikes can get a ULEZ examtion either by getting it tested or certiificate from the manufacturer. Pretty much any BMW boxer engine (the twin spark models) after 2002 will be compliant. Earlier ones will still comply but you'll have to stump up a couple of hundred for testing.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have loan of my CBF600 if its of any use? Its just sitting here and I expect I will not be out and about on it, break it/it gets stolen you just pay the 2k I paid. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:16 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR750 is not ULEZ compliant. Any bike after 2008 is compliant and can easily be shown to be compliant. Bikes in between? It's a mess, but many are compliant and many can be certfied as compliant by a bike dealer in East London who charge through the nose for it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:56 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years. Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
Can you still get monthly insurance?

You can indeed, plenty of places offer short term motorcycle insurance but as you say, a 12 month policy shouldn't be too expensive for a 36 year old.

When you (ex)changed your UK license for a Canadian one, do they contact the DVLA? Just wondering if the copy of your UK one is a copy of something that's no longer valid as it's been exchanged for a driving license elsewhere.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:57 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
VFR750 is not ULEZ compliant. Any bike after 2008 is compliant and can easily be shown to be compliant. Bikes in between? It's a mess, but many are compliant and many can be certfied as compliant by a bike dealer in East London who charge through the nose for it.

Just got a conformity letter from main dealer, £75, then submit that proof to TfL. That said, I guess it only works if manufacturer has that info. Yamaha and Honda seem to, and will provide conformity (even for my 2004 carb CBF)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:03 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
Just got a conformity letter from main dealer, £75, then submit that proof to TfL. That said, I guess it only works if manufacturer has that info. Yamaha and Honda seem to, and will provide conformity (even for my 2004 carb CBF)

Yes, I asked for one for my VFR800FI from 2000. They said they couldn't do it as it was only Euro 1 and had no NOx emissions records.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
P. wrote:

Yes, I asked for one for my VFR800FI from 2000. They said they couldn't do it as it was only Euro 1 and had no NOx emissions records.

My BMW is Euro 1 and they got the NOx emission details from the type approval.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get bogged down in all the emissions rubbish just buy a new-ish bike Smile

My tips for London: check your bus lanes. All TFL ones are fine for motorbikes but some roads still maintained by cunt-cils (looking at you, Lambeth) and say "oh no, the laws of the universe don't apply to us" and will fine you.

Watch out for the Deliveroo crowd as they will pass you on the outside, inside, via a pavement, levitate if they have to even though you can leave them for dust when the lights change Rolling Eyes On the upside (if you consider it an upside) no one bats an eyelid at two-wheel conveyances doing 40 in a 20 zone. "Except the police?" how quaint, they're as rare as unicorn poop.

Less of a problem these days but eye any >300cc scooter with two-up and black helmets as potential hijackers. Not that I want to put you off the City or anything, #JustSayin'

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 15 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest risk I face from the deliveroo crowd is when they do a u-turn from a standing start at the kerb-side, right in front of the bus you're passing. Nearly collected a few like that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:18 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

My BMW is Euro 1 and they got the NOx emission details from the type approval.

The implication I got from Honda UK was that the VFR800Fi didn't meet the NOx standard for the ULEZ... they didn't say that directly, it's Honda after all, ever diplomatic, but it was heavily implied.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years. Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
loads of back-roads are closed off with camera enforcement,

Blimey! how does that work?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:16 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Because Khan.

https://i.imgur.com/umgOaJz.png

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: Buying a bike in the UK after 10 years. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A100man wrote:

Because Khan.

https://i.imgur.com/umgOaJz.png

Smug bastard. Hurt

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 16 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The biggest risk I face from the deliveroo crowd is when they do a u-turn from a standing start at the kerb-side, right in front of the bus you're passing. Nearly collected a few like that.

I want Deliveroo riders/cyclists to have their Deliverance. On a permanent basis.
Annoying, traffic lights-jumping-bastirts. And most are foreigners. Evil or Very Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1