BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ULEZ and historic bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Bhud's world, traffic was invented in 1986.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not going to go watch an entire youtube channel to understand whatever point your going for now. Suffice to say I think everyone who has ridden bikes for a while, or even just been on this forum and read threads like Stinkwheels Bullet trials bike etc understands that a 50s/60s/70s era bike will require constant finessing and maintenance to keep at optimum performance.

Where I disagree with you is the same as most posters here, An 80s air-cooled jap can be amazingly reliable on just basic regular maintenance and wont overheat half as much as your suggesting (maybe highly strung air-cooled 2ts aside).

You mention parts availability also; In my experience if your not too hung up on keeping a 40 year old bike in mint condition then yeah, perfectly serviceable parts are available 2nd hand in general. Obviously this is model dependent but for your run of the mill not 'ultra rare special edition' kind of stuff you can keep them going perfectly fine.

Is a 15 year old CBF500 a more sensible way of getting around ULEZ at a reasonable cost? Yes

Are 80s bikes as bad to daily as you keep bleating on about? No.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
TBH, a 80s GT or GSX is less likely to be a pain that a highly stressed 90's 00's or 10's bike.

I know a guy who's still riding a FJ into the office as a daily rider.

In addition it's amazing how many air cooled bikes are still knocking round asia and africa where it's inherently warmer than the UK and with little maintenance.

Totally agree. I have had many air cooled bikes over my lifetime. The only ones I had problems with overheating were the ones I had 'modified'. Old 250 strokers and the like. Laughing

I had a Kwak GT550. Z650, Suzy GT500, Divvy900, wifie had the 600 version, 3 FJ1200's and probably more big aircooled bikes that I have forgotten. I never had issues with them overheating.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

An air cooled bike doing 20 is only generating enough power to do 20, and the associated heat also. They don't have any problems with cooling generally even if they are in standing traffic.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

B,b,but! I just checked my two historics (the V5 says they are) on here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

and both came back as NOT exempt Confused Meanwhile a historic campervan came back ok Confused Confused

Is there some other step needed other than just getting the V5 changed?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:17 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're telling me is: I should pick up an early 80s air-cooled commuter, y'know - to skirt the upcoming ULEZ?

Last edited by dn38416 on 23:53 - 21 Mar 2023; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:25 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a very modern one. Either is reasonable.

The modern one is more likely to crap out because of a failed sensor or coil pack (they are sitting where it's hot so fail quicker than a traditional coil).

The old one will need parts that will need replacing that could be difficult to source.

Both will be reliable with appropriate maintenance.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 21 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
But it could be anything - a demonstration, an incident, or whatever. If there's a big build-up of traffic, a motorbike could be held up for quite a long time. In that situation, imagine you filter forwards as much as you can. You don't know when traffic will move. You switch off the engine after a few minutes. You think it will move so you turn it on again. You move forward a few metres. You wait several minutes, turn it off, etc. You just don't know how close you are to having a problem, if you have an aircooled bike, in that situation. What if it's a 40+ degree day, like in 2022? There is that uncertainty there. Most of the time, it will be fine. But how "most"? Is, for example, a 1 out of 50 possibility of failure an acceptable probability for a commuter?

This, with all due respect, is paranoid, hysterical bollocks.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
If there's a big build-up of traffic, a motorbike could be held up for quite a long time. ...What if it's a 40+ degree day, like in 2022?

I dunno, i've commuted regularly into the big stink and the only bike that's guaranteed to give me problems in high temps was my 2012 125cc which would start kangaroo'ing once the fuel pump packed in. My GPZ500 on the other hand i've rode through a summer whilst the thermostat was on the fritz,...if anything it was the fastest filtering i've ever done Smile

FWIW I still regularly commute on the GPZ500, the design is basically the same as the earlier models which are coming up to 35/36yrs old. If I could pick up an A-model for cheap I would rather do that and get it through the test than a newer bike. Easy to get parts, I get 60mpg out of it, it's not worth nicking or joy riding. Still see the odd 90s sports bike around, and someone at work was still riding a bmw tourer from the early 80s. So I disagree, but i'll be honest I don't fully understand the strength of emotion on this thread.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
coil pack (they are sitting where it's hot so fail quicker than a traditional coil).

Coil pack on plug like wot my bike has... it sounds right but I'm not sure that translates into reality Thinking

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
So I disagree, but i'll be honest I don't fully understand the strength of emotion on this thread.

People are passionate about bikes and I don't hold it against anyone to disagree with my opinion. I am deeply passionate about them too. Hopefully nobody gets really mad but my only point is that bikes like the CBF500 fit the bill, are ULEZ-compliant and are a lot of fun and highly versatile. However, with regard to the much older bikes that are special for highly individual reasons we needn't get into, there are certain realities and I want all sides to be heard. For example, Harley Davidson launched a couple of new V-twin bikes for the Indian market IIRC. People complained that they were crap - just total crap design and poor quality in construction, plus they got worryingly hot all the time in traffic. That wasn't their only reason for hating those bikes, but HD had to quit India because people there were using bikes to commute in hot, slow-moving conditions, and there were far better options available, to be frank. They didn't do good business. Nobody wanted that shit. Design, and quality, matter. Here in the UK, you find people sit on unremarkable old bikes like dumb hoarders, and they earn mine and others' ire. But they end up in the money. That's one point. The other is that Khan is misunderstood - he's not a nice guy nor in any way reasonable, and the historical exemption will be a thing of the past in short order because there's no social or political mechanism to moderate or exercise constraint over someone like him, in this society. So, 1) mechanical (better choices available); 2) social.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:28 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't use HD as a justification of your view. Most of them barely work straight from the factory.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3