Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1987 Honda XL250R Headlight Issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

rlhunter967
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:31 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: 1987 Honda XL250R Headlight Issue Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a 1987 Honda XL250R. It has an engine from a 1983 Honda XR250R in it. When connecting the wires that come from the alternator to the wires in the bike most match (red-red, yellow-yellow, black-red/black). I have the green/red wire not connected as the 83 model engine has no neutral indicator. I also have a yellow/white wire in the same group as the red, and yellow that comes from the frame of the bike (not from the alternator) that is not connected to anything and I think it should be? My issue is that my main headlight is not working. I have the park light, rear brake light, and indicators all working fine. I have replaced the front headlight with a brand new one with no luck. My only thought is that either that yellow/white wire needs to be connected somewhere or if there is a seperate fuse for the headlight it could be blown? I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that matches the bike online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Headlight Issue Reply with quote

rlhunter967 wrote:
I have the green/red wire not connected as the 83 model engine has no neutral indicator.

I have never seen that on any bike ever - save the Greeves Hawkstone
I used to try and ride as a teen...

..unsuccessfully.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

rlhunter967
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:42 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. I know it isn't the issue as when I ground that wire, the light comes on the dash. There just isn't anything coming from the engine which is fine.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 25 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Headlight Issue Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
rlhunter967 wrote:
I have the green/red wire not connected as the 83 model engine has no neutral indicator.

I have never seen that on any bike ever -

On the other hand if teh engine is from a competition machine..

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1033694-has-anyone-added-a-neutral-light-to-their-bike/

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1