Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I'm from the past

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:15 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: I'm from the past Reply with quote

Couldn't find an "intro" forum, so best to just say hi here by the sounds of it.

Clocking up to 5 decades in life now, the last time I rode was in last century and somehow have kept my head in the sand up until a few months ago when I decided "yes, I shall bike again" (at some point I changed continents too, so need to do my license now)

you guys got abs now, linked brakes, heated grips...keyless...fuel injection..pinlock...where have I been!!!

Previously, you know...in the 20th century, I worked in the biking industry and pretty much rode everything until it calmed down around 1996...ish.

Did my CBT last weekend, so now have a backup career option as a justeat driver ...need to move on and do mod1+mod2 because...dummy here bought himself his dream bike last year in absolute pieces and has been having a ball of a time putting it back together and replacing stuff and reading japanese microfiches with old-man-eyes and zoom on 300% trying to locate parts in the depths of thailand, cambodia and this place called "new zealand" which I'm not even sure exists or is even a real place. But alas.

So apparently, 400cc and 60hp+ means I must get a big boy license. Why didnt I realise this.

Anyway, enough about me...I'm going to read the 9 zillion threads here going back to the beginning of time and find out what Ive missed.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Love to see some pictures of your project.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Share your story!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 2 strokes...so so much. Then they disappeared almost totally and I fell into despair. Oh noes...the smells...where are we going to get the smells now.

At some point inbetween riding stuff to and from the equivalent of MOT and doing quotes for customers broken bikes which meant I had to ride them to "feel" the wobble or "experience" the flatspot...at some point after riding that ns400r and almost sticking it into the side of the road...(i still want one though)..yeah..at some point a customer somehow brought us a gsx400x impulse 1986. We did some work and I took it for said mot-equivalent and by jove, it wasnt a smoker but what a nice thing it was to ride.

I want one, I said, recently, whilst reminiscing

Suzuki said "we dont make them no more you whiny child". In fact, all we do is boring parallel twins with mahoosive big khan-friendly exhausts, or that v-twin which is ubiquitous and we decided to call a gladius one night when the drugs were especially cheap and we needed a new name.

Also, all our stuff is kinda..boring now, and heavy..yeah, we made them heavy. Next year we're painting them all beige and putting a volvo badge on them. Oh and no more gsxr too.

Thank you mr suzuki.

Well guess what...I win...I found one!!! mwahahahaha.

Fixing stuffs completed: front and rear brakes...pistons seized...happy now, rebuilt m/c, replaced coils with coilpacks, recovered seat, cleaned carbs six times, rebuilt carbs, replaced some cables, fitted braided hoses, valve clearances, cam cap cover..sparks replaced, seats recovered, plastic welded some bits

todo: make petrol tank not ugly and rusty, make wiring neat. Get a %%^^$£££ license and ride her.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 07 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bultaco Metralla

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: I'm from the past Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
you guys got abs now (Late 80's K series BMW), linked brakes(moto Guzzi 1976), heated grips(1990, possibly earlier)...keyless...(NSR250R MC28 1995 maybe earlier)fuel injection(Mid 80's BMW K Series)..pinlock(Fogcity Early 90's)...where have I been!!!

Where have you been?

Welcome.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: I'm from the past Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
you guys got abs now, linked brakes, heated grips...keyless...fuel injection..pinlock...where have I been!!!

i don't have any of those things on my v-reg kawasaki - which rides as well if not better than it's modern equivalents such as the z1000sx. the z1000sx is unnecessarily heavy imo, and - to exacerbate matters - makes less power (w/ more cc and a chunk of extra lard). I think ABS is probably a good thing though - not least cos I do get off the tarmac on the back lanes where I live - and this is to let people passed. Also, i do have some oxford heated grips - but i bought them 2 years ago and still haven't fitted them. EFI, pinlock, keyless I'm not bothered about - i did just get a new shoei w/ pinlock though. I always just open the visor to the first click though, if it gets steamed up and that's always done the trick. All in all, i would generally prefer a lighter, simpler bike, i think.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So,
old bikes, different continent, no license, tends to waffle

You're Mexican right?

Bienvenido muchacho !

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're Teflon Mike's secret love child and I claim my five pounds.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
So,
old bikes, different continent, no license, tends to waffle

You're Mexican right?

Bienvenido muchacho !

I like you,,,I think I'm going to keep you. Smile

I've spent today reading the technical section (gave up after page 200 ish) and realise you're a positive force....and that there's a lot of folks with chinese 125 who cant elucidate their problems properly.

I shouldve added that to my list.

chinese bikes

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 09 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sure what bike you have
some 400cc one is all I'm fairly sure of so far.

waffle away, take the piss and join in the fun old boy but at least
focus from time to time and tell us/show us your bike.

I get that currently you're at the pizza delivery level of licentiousness
with ambitions to greatness so good luck with that.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: I'm from the past Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
and this place called "new zealand" which I'm not even sure exists or is even a real place.

I promise you, it does.

Cool

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:25 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer old zealand, as a rule

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:58 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I'm still not sure what bike you have
some 400cc one is all I'm fairly sure of so far.

waffle away, take the piss and join in the fun old boy but at least
focus from time to time and tell us/show us your bike.

I get that currently you're at the pizza delivery level of licentiousness
with ambitions to greatness so good luck with that.

I made a thread about my bike, Jap market GSX400X

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: I'm from the past Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
you guys got abs now, linked brakes, heated grips...keyless...

Nope, but ahoy there anyway. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 27 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
i prefer old zealand, as a rule

"Old" Zealand is part of the Netherlands IIRC.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1