Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

riding home a purchase..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: riding home a purchase.. Reply with quote

How does it work if you buy a bike (or car) MOT'd but no tax (so SORN) and ride it back? If you tax it before the V5 is updated would that work? or do you have to wait

So many ANPRs these days it gets risky Confused

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:34 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Re: riding home a purchase.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
How does it work if you buy a bike (or car) MOT'd but no tax (so SORN) and ride it back? If you tax it before the V5 is updated would that work? or do you have to wait

So many ANPRs these days it gets risky Confused

You can do it all online as soon as the deal is done .. Don't forget insurance too!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:42 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s still taxed until the V5 arrives in Swansea, so I’d not be too concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my Blade from Warrington back to Essex with zero problems. Insurance was sorted on the way up on the train and I taxed it while I was at the sellers and had no issues whatsoever. I had all the proof on my phone anyway if I had been stopped so I wasn't bothered.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It’s still taxed until the V5 arrives in Swansea, so I’d not be too concerned.

Unless the old owner does the transfer online in which case there's no need to send off the V5c.

Anyway, I'd ride it and not worry and I probably will be this weekend as I'm changing my bike.

I've even phoned Kent Police and asked if I bought a car in Manchester and drove it to a booked MOT in Kent near where I live would I be committing an offence and was told by a traffic sergeant that so long as I was taking a direct route then no offence committed. In the end there was an MOT place local to the purchase so I did it there.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:37 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I've even phoned Kent Police and asked if I bought a car in Manchester and drove it to a booked MOT in Kent near where I live would I be committing an offence and was told by a traffic sergeant that so long as I was taking a direct route then no offence committed. In the end there was an MOT place local to the purchase so I did it there.

And of course, then you'd be returning from an MOT so no need for tax on the way home.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three options;

1) If it's a private seller and you trust them, ask them to hold off doing the V5 transfer online until you get home then get them to do it then, then you tax it

2) You get the seller (private or trade) to do the transfer at the point of handover, you can then go straight to the website and tax it directly

3) They do whatever and you ride home and hope for the best

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the much proven incompetance of the DVLA is there really any chance a change of ownership and therefore a lack of tax will hit the ANPR system before you make it home?

I wouldn't even bother to worry about it.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
is there really any chance a change of ownership and therefore a lack of tax will hit the ANPR system before you make it home?

Unless it's already SORN before the change of ownership.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
is there really any chance a change of ownership and therefore a lack of tax will hit the ANPR system before you make it home?

Unless it's already SORN before the change of ownership.

Yeah this is the issue since the non transferable tax bollocks. If you tax it too soon (before the transfer the tax 'belongs' to the PO doesn't it?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:56 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if you tax using the new keeper slip number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
Not if you tax using the new keeper slip number.
Thumbs Up

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1