Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Firestorm Brakes/VFR750

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Firestorm Brakes/VFR750 Reply with quote

So, I've fitted a Firestorm front end to my VFR750. The forks/mudguard/spindle/spacers/brakes/MC are all Firestorm. The front wheel and disks are from the 750. Thread here - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=333972

Problem is, after fitting it, the brakes are shit. They do stop the bike OK with a good squeeze of the lever, but there's no initial bite. They also don't seem to be fully contacting the disk, even after riding 20-30 miles. I don't know how well you can make it out in the pics, but they still have a ring of light surface rust in places (just from getting slightly damp over the winter). Obviously, my first thought is the lines still have air in them. So I've bled them multiple times at the calipers and the MC banjo, ziptied the lever back (this never seems to work for me but I tried it anyway), and reorientated the MC a load of times to try to get any bubbles to the top. No change. It has a 2-line "race setup" from the calipers and they have an upward path the whole way, so I don't think anything is being trapped there.

So the question is this. Before I get further into bleeding it (pushing the pistons in fully in case there are bubbles trapped behind them etc.), and given the changes I have made, are there any other possibilities? I serviced the MC, cleaned up the calipers, refilled the fluid, fitted new pads, and copper greased the tips of the pads before fitting. Could I have contaminated the disk with copper grease somehow? Is that consistent with the symptoms? Given I've changed the front end, could messing that process up in some way have caused this?

Or do they just need more bleeding? I expected the pads to have bedded in enough to be contacting the surface of the disk fully by now even if they did need more bleeding. The disks really aren't badly grooved or anything. I even rolled the bike down a really long hill near me (we have plenty), using the front brake the whole time (and varying pressure) to see if it would help. It didn't, obviously.

Got any ideas?

https://i.imgur.com/4OEtkAfl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NM2rg1Hl.jpg
Full Quality Versions -
https://i.imgur.com/4OEtkAf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NM2rg1H.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:51 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could check the discs are central and square in the caliper by measuring the distance from the disc to the casting at both sides of the leading and trailing edge of the calliper. You can shim under the caliper mount if it isn't. Even my pretecs needed shimming slightly.

I can't see why it would cause that wear pattern though.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the pads moving freely?

Quality control on lots of parts is shit right now. I've had a few sets of pads where the powder coat on them made them too thick, so they wouldn't move smoothly. A bit of filing sorted it.

Bent or notched pads pins is also a possibility. They're surprisingly expensive.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleeding brakes is a pig. Tedious job.
I've found the zip-tie trick has some limited use when there are tiny air bubbles in the system. I'm doing it overnight right now (new HEL line).

Just some thoughts and I'm not saying you haven't already thought of this, (also, I haven't read your other posts about this project):

- whichever MC you're using has to be man enough for the Firestorm brakes, i.e. shift enough volume of fluid into them
- if there's air in the system then the main giveaway would be the lever (being able to pull it too far back)
- if you can bleed them and make the brakes grab tight, but they go loose again later, then there's a leak somewhere
- if your pads are dirty or greasy, that's no good

Why the copper grease on the tips of the pads?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:35 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just check one of your calliper bolts isn't too long and sticking through the back of the caliper and fouling the disc slightly... Don't ask!

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A load of good ideas, I'll definitely check them out.

Bhud wrote:
- whichever MC you're using has to be man enough for the Firestorm brakes, i.e. shift enough volume of fluid into them
- if there's air in the system then the main giveaway would be the lever (being able to pull it too far back)
- if you can bleed them and make the brakes grab tight, but they go loose again later, then there's a leak somewhere
- if your pads are dirty or greasy, that's no good

Why the copper grease on the tips of the pads?

To answer your questions -
- It's the standard Firestorm MC.
- I can pull it back just a little further than I'd like, but then it builds pressure normally and is solid. I can't get it back to the bar.
- When I ziptied it, I left it overnight. The lever was still pressurising the system the next day. There's no leak as far as I can tell.
- They shouldn't be. They're brand new. But it's always possible I've messed up. I'll get brake cleaner on them.
- Just because the tips slide backwards and forwards on the inside of the caliper. So I did it because I thought it might help them slide better. It probably doesn't but I couldn't really see a downside. Unless it turns out I've contaminated the pads of course...

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool. A Firestorm MC will be exactly right. There shouldn't be any problem, so there's something wrong. Are the lines good, are the copper washers new, is the bleed nipple hole damaged bubbling, etc. Lots of stuff to rule out.

If you suspect air's in the system then you've got to rule it out somehow. At the same time, rule out leaks. I've got a rough and ready method using zip-tie trick to kill 2 birds with one stone. I bind the brake lever halfway back, pressurising the system. Clean everything using whatever solvent, and dry it to bone dry with a cloth. Come back the next day, get your hands clean and dry, and then, leaving the ziptie where it is, touch your little finger under every banjo, and under the caliper seals, master cylinder, etc. If it's leaking anywhere, it will show on the tip of your little finger.

At least it's something you can rule out, if it's not the culprit. Could be a mechanical issue or quality issue as well, as the others are saying.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:40 - 28 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all the pistons moving?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Bleeding brakes is a pig. Tedious job.

its a doddle with a vacuum pump. took me about 5 minutes to do my front breaks.
i highly recommend getting one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184633328443
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:54 - 29 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped disks?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:50 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

+1 here. Remove the calipers and make sure that all the pistons move when you pull the brake lever. A cocked or frozen piston will dramatically reduce your braking power.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip Tying (correct term Cable Tying) the lever back does Hee-Haw apart from waste time.

Physics: Apply a constant pressure to a fluid that contains a gas and push the gas into solution (overnight, as the myth dictates).

If there is air in the system it must be pushed/forced OUT.

01. By pumping the lever in sync with opening closing the bleeder valves in sequence.
For a front brake on a bike this can take a life time.
Hence the lore about using cable ties et al.

02 Pressure bleeding using a pressurised feed of clean fluid to force a stream of pure fluid through to the bleeders.
. I think most commercial shops use this simple and very efficacious method.

03 Or the other way using physics.
Suck the fluid out the bleeders using a vacuum pump, a big Eff-Off hypodermic syringe. (Available at ebay)
The theory is that entrained air in the system can form small bubbles. Trapped in sections.
Removing atmospheric pressure using vacuum causes the little bubbles to grow into bigger bubbles. Then the bigger bubbles will be less prone to being trapped. (BMW recommends this in their Bibles)

***Tef head off.***

Firestorm Brakes were/are shite.
The mod was to use Fireblade forks on a Firestorm.
If my mammaries serves me right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:33 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Zip Tying (correct term Cable Tying) the lever back does Hee-Haw apart from waste time.

Not really.

Any small bubbles will tend to migrate to the highest point. Keeping them under pressure makes them smaller. So ofter tying it down overnight, any small bubbles should be sat in the line directly under the master cylinder piston. As you release the lever, the pressure drops, the bubble expands and is pushed back up into the reservoir by the pressure in the line below it.

The only way that bubble could go if you squeeze the lever having not been tied down is back down the line.

That's not the issue here anyway because there's pressure in the lines.

Firestorms have nissin 4-pots. VFR750's have sliding 2-pots. The firestorm front end is a significant upgrade and it bolts directly in using the original wheel.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I want to know this. And are they actuating in unison rather than two being alright, a third one being reluctant, and a fourth properly dragging its heels.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brand and rating pads did you fit to it?
You still mates with Bill? does he still have access to a brake tester?

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 30 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They were when I serviced the MC, I checked them all. They didn't all operate with exactly the same force (I had to hold some pistons so others would operate), but there's usually one or two like this in my experience. None were seriously reluctant. They all slid back in smoothly too and they're pretty clean, only a couple of little marks. If that's the problem I saw nothing to suggest it, but it'll be getting checked again anyway.

to v or not to v wrote:
its a doddle with a vacuum pump. took me about 5 minutes to do my front breaks.
i highly recommend getting one.

I've got one. I've had mixed results. It's good for quickly emptying/filling the system, but it hasn't guaranteed an easy bleeding job, for me at least.

sickpup wrote:
What brand and rating pads did you fit to it?
You still mates with Bill? does he still have access to a brake tester?

EBC ones (can't remember if I went sintered or not). And no, not really. I can get it on a brake tester if I need to, but the "ultimate braking force" isn't terrible, I can do an emergency stop but not a stoppie. I reckon it would pass an MOT. But initial bite is terrible, wear pattern is weird. Haven't been able get over there and have a proper look at the bike since starting this thread. Tempted to think Robby's suggestion is most likely but I'm keeping an open mind. Will report back once I've had a look.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-sintered pads in a big bike often give a spongy feeling with a lack of initial bite and then fail to stop the bike at high temps due to brake fade.

The pads not moving at the top of the caliper would make sense as well. If they aren't moving smoothly they will pivot at the top which would explain the lack of contact around the outer edge of the disk. You get the same if the pad pins are notched. Both of these can give an odd feeling at the lever.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:34 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've even had brembo pads that I had to lightly file the paint off the edges of the backing because they were binding in the caliper slightly.

Incidentally, Brembo SA pads are great.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 31 Mar 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
... initial bite is terrible, wear pattern is weird.

Weird wear pattern suggests the pads are not contacting the disc uniformly. You might see what you can do to ascertain alignment between the pads and disc with a feeler gauge. Your caliper might be offset laterally by a few degrees.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 01 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I've even had brembo pads that I had to lightly file the paint off the edges of the backing because they were binding in the caliper slightly.

Incidentally, Brembo SA pads are great.

Brymbo suggest polishing the rotors using wet or dry to remove old brake pad residue. It prevents old brake pad residue contaminating the new pads.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... the thick plottens.

Did some checking of things today. Firstly, and most importantly, it appears I didn't fit new pads. Not doing so was bloody stupid and I certainly intended to, but the general grottiness of them (when they've done 30 miles), and looking back over my order history in various places, I can see no record of buying a new set. I'm blaming my terrible memory, that I DID buy and fit new pads for the 800 and the Striple, that I must have put the old pads back in to prevent accidentally pushing the pistons out when they were in storage (and then forgot), and the fact that this process took months. Still, I'm pretty shocked at the state of the left hand pads, despite having plenty of meat on them, they've lost a load of chunks of pad material. The ones on the right hand side look ok. Sintered EBC pads on order.

Moving on, the pad pins look ok, straight as far as I can tell (checked against a fork tube), and a little corrosion but no ridges or anything. The pads were a bit reluctant to come out, but we'll see if that's still the case when I get the new ones. The pistons on both calipers are moving pretty much as I remembered (all moving, some slightly more reluctant). The most significant thing I found was that the right hand calliper was out of alignment, being too close to the outside of the wheel, so the inner pistons could barely move, and the outer ones had to go further than usual. The left hand caliper is bang on though, despite neither of them having any kind of shims/washers between themselves and the fork leg mounting points, and it being the left hand one that's lost chunks of the pad. Looking at the pics, I think the cause of the misalignment is differing thickness of the right hand pads.

Still, new pads and thoroughly clean and maybe wet and dry the disks to remove any contamination, then we'll see where they are.

TL;DR - I'm a numpty. Though whether it all sorts itself with new pads we'll see.

https://i.imgur.com/6uDhMmTl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UxrA9djl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tSO1BVhl.jpg

Full Quality Versions
https://i.imgur.com/6uDhMmT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UxrA9dj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tSO1BVh.jpg

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pads pins look OK, you can spin them in a drill and wrap some sandpaper round the pin to clean it off properly. Very hard to see if it's smooth unless it's really clean.

Those pads are fucked, which won't help.

Reassemble with the appropriate new parts, and cleaned and lubed other parts, and start diagnosis from there.

Also worth mentioning - if you have new pads and new discs, it can take a surprising amount of time for the brakes to feel good. About 100 miles on my 250. Felt a bit shit and wooden until then.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If the pads pins look OK, you can spin them in a drill and wrap some sandpaper round the pin to clean it off properly. Very hard to see if it's smooth unless it's really clean.

Those pads are fucked, which won't help.

Reassemble with the appropriate new parts, and cleaned and lubed other parts, and start diagnosis from there.

Also worth mentioning - if you have new pads and new discs, it can take a surprising amount of time for the brakes to feel good. About 100 miles on my 250. Felt a bit shit and wooden until then.

There is a process required to bed in brakes and discs.

Warming up the parts with some moderate braking.
Then hammering them to get the linings all melty and smokey.

The idea it to even out any high spots to provide 100% contact across the full area of pads.

Doesn't take long to do that.

Don't do it on the way to work. Very Happy

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoroughly cleaned the disks and fitted the new pads. Brakes are now fantastic, and I'm an idiot. Rolling Eyes

But if, in the future, anyone should want to know the consequences of fitting old (and almost certainly contaminated) pads to different rotors, please feel free to refer them to this thread. Laughing
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2