Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting rid of things

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Getting rid of things Reply with quote

I want to sell my things; it's a bit niche for motorcycle dealers (can't see SuperbikeFactory being interested) so it would be better to sell privately

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 08:47 - 25 Apr 2023; edited 4 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:42 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use whatever platform, just don't meet them at your house.

More specific FB groups are pretty good. There must be C90 owners/interest groups that allow ads and you'll be able to see if the person is actually interested in them. Like if you were selling a katana, you'd do a lot worse than getting in touch with the old school suzuki brigade.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Use whatever platform, just don't meet them at your house.

Problem is that works both ways. I'm not keen on meeting in a dimly lit carpark next to a pikey camp to buy a bike. Laughing If it's not at a residential address, forget it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:40 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the age of something and your selling price really, too cheap you'll get scum, too expensive you might get some seasoned pros...

My CBF, come to my house - I don't care.

My KTM, i'll meet you at the pub at the end of the road/bike meet because chavtastic mobile and my next to fuck all security is probably too risky to show them. They'll want to see the V5 anyway so theres my address mate... Confused can only do so much.

If it was a premium bike, you don't typically get too many scummy people and you can usually work out whos coming for a pry through their attitude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this recently. I met the buyer at my house, but I had the bike out and the garage closed before he arrived. I had the money in my bank account before I let him leave with the bike, and I only transferred the V5 to his name the next day once I knew the funds had properly cleared.

You have to take some risk, because as a buyer I wouldn't meet someone at services or in a car park somewhere. It's all a balance.

Back in the day private sale was the only way to go, both for a buyer and seller. I don't really understand the modern reluctance to do that now if I'm honest, especially when bank transfers are instant and can be verified, and V5's can be transferred online.

I bought my car in this way back in 2021... Transferring multiple tens of thousands of pounds via the Barclays app was a bit of a moment I have to say, but it worked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably mentioned this before but however you sell it it's worth writing out a bill of sale, a V5 is not proof of ownership.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:53 - 06 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually tell if they're a genuine buyer as soon as you talk to them on the phone because everybody is excited about buying a new bike and they'll tell you why they want it and ask you loads of questions.

If they aren't, that's when the suspicion kicks in.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:57 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I don't really understand the modern reluctance to do that now if I'm honest, especially when bank transfers are instant and can be verified, and V5's can be transferred online.

I think this is partly due to there being SO MANY scams out there, it seems like everyone and everything is out to get you now.

I still cant believe my adventure selling my MT09 turned out to be a legit buyer and not a scam.

I tried selling on eBay, Biketrader, and FB Marketplace. Annoyingly after paying about £100 to list it on eBay and BT... and getting nothing but "Giv u £20 4 it i no wot its worf" and "trade for my Corsa & PS5????" messages on eBay and precisely nothing on BT... it sold through FB in just a few days.

Bloke from Ireland liked the look of it, asked for a few more pics and video of it to prove its real, then sent a bloke in a van to come and collect it and ferry it over to Ireland for him. Screams of scam but was legit. Sent a deposit to hold it til the courier arrived, half the payment the night before, and the other half once the courier had arrived, who I had a chat about bikes and cuppa with outside whilst waiting for the final payment to appear in my banking app before giving him the keys.

If someones willing to pay via bank transfer and I can see it in my account before handing it over, Id be happy to take a gamble on it not being a scam.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flogged bikes cars vans on Ebay Gumtree etc and never had any probs
but you have to keep yer thinkin head on and move at your own pace.
As long as you're honest in your description, an honest buyer won't mind you being cautious
as they'll want the same.

I've had the stupid text offers on Gumtree which I always ignore as a pukka buyer will ring.
"If you deliver it me I'll give you full price on arrival" gets alarm bells ringing and dumped.
I print out reciepts with conditions like sold as seen and buyer agrees its as decribed
plus date and time on which they have to sign so if they do anything stupid after they leave it's on them not me.

Never had any come backs
Also as above, a chat prior to a visit gives you an idea of the type of folk they are

It's a C90 anyway, I doubt anyone other than an enthusiast will be interested

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:08 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

I've had the stupid text offers on Gumtree which I always ignore as a pukka buyer will ring.

As a millennial introvert, who also works rotating 24hr shift patterns, I hate this Razz I always put in my ads PLEASE TEXT/EMAIL as the last thing I want to deal with is someone phoning me at some random time to ask some stupid questions that I've probably already answered in the listing that they couldn't be bothered to read.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:29 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you go and find a spooning the camel to check what you type before you post it?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:10 - 07 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I don't really understand the modern reluctance to do that now if I'm honest, especially when bank transfers are instant and can be verified, and V5's can be transferred online.

I think this is partly due to there being SO MANY scams out there, it seems like everyone and everything is out to get you now.

I still cant believe my adventure selling my MT09 turned out to be a legit buyer and not a scam.

I tried selling on eBay, Biketrader, and FB Marketplace. Annoyingly after paying about £100 to list it on eBay and BT... and getting nothing but "Giv u £20 4 it i no wot its worf" and "trade for my Corsa & PS5????" messages on eBay and precisely nothing on BT... it sold through FB in just a few days.

Weirdly I've never had any of that. I don't use Autotrader any more though, because it seems to be only used by companies that claim to want to sell the bike for you. Pistonheads is OK for cars, and Ebay is where my CBR sold in the end.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 12 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Selling a bike "safely" Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I want to sell my Cub;

How come? thought you liked it.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 17 Apr 2023    Post subject: Re: Selling a bike "safely" Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
I want to sell my Cub;

How come? thought you liked it.

I do, but I can't justify keeping it unfortunately. If I was 20 years older and the other side of parenting, then it might be a different story, but I can't keep it for 20 years waiting until then.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1