Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Much improved protection ratings for motorcycle clothing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Much improved protection ratings for motorcycle clothing Reply with quote

This Bennetts video is worth watching if you’re curious about getting good protective clothing, and not all the highly-rated kit’s expensive. The new Gold, Platinum and Diamond protection ratings are a great step forward Thumbs Up

https://youtu.be/5QcWajVTfB4

It’s about time we had these new standards, considering the unhelpful and (sadly) successful lobbying by Knox to keep the CE standards to a low protection level Sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my budget's more tin or garnet Wink

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know if they’re tin or garnet, but various RST garments score highly.

Considering RST clothing often does well in Australia’s independent MotoCAP tests, I’m unsurprised several RST garments also achieve Bennetts’ Gold rating. Price and protection aren’t necessarily related. Some expensive brands (e.g. Dainese textiles and gloves) get crap results in MotoCAP tests.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that the RST evotech stuff has only been rated for ladies and youths….surely they shift more mens?
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:45 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
thats proberly because RST dont fit men there too dam small

The two jackets I wear most are RST leathers, when I got the most recent one they went up to a 54"... sounds like you might need to lay off the pies for a while Wink
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of that clip made me believe in a parallel universe.

'CE certification hasn't increased cost of gear'. Yes it has. It took a lot of cheap shit off the market sold as bike gear.

Nothing to stop you buying cheap shite and wearing it on your bike.

'Motorcycle insurance is for the bike not the rider.'

You buy motorcycle insurance to cover your risk when you ride a motorcycle. The difference is the type of bike can load the premiums.
But the rider has probably more effect on price than the bike.

I didn't watch the rest of it.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally, it’s the motorcycle that must be insured to be ridden on the road. While the rider may influence the insurance cost more than the bike’s make and model, it’s still the bike itself that must be insured by law. I don’t have insurance to ride motorcycles. My bike is insured to be ridden by me.

Regarding CE marking, it hasn’t changed the cost of protective clothing to me as a consumer as the manufacturers absorbed it. The cheap shite was always miss-sold as motorcycle protective clothing because it wasn’t genuinely protective; it was a con.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:23 - 29 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollock, it's the individual that has to be insured.

It's called third party insurance.

I can only drive my car because my NAME is on the insurance because I didn't take out the insurance, Mrs Bastard did.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
your both wroung

the risks is calcalated on the bike and the ride, including other factors and the premium/risk is calacalated acordingly

Owe fuk hear we go. Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueberry wrote:
Legally, it’s the motorcycle that must be insured to be ridden on the road. While the rider may influence the insurance cost more than the bike’s make and model, it’s still the bike itself that must be insured by law. I don’t have insurance to ride motorcycles. My bike is insured to be ridden by me.

Regarding CE marking, it hasn’t changed the cost of protective clothing to me as a consumer as the manufacturers absorbed it. The cheap shite was always miss-sold as motorcycle protective clothing because it wasn’t genuinely protective; it was a con.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance

"Overview
You must have motor insurance to drive your vehicle on UK roads."

You're welcome. Wink
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1