Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you check over my bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 30 Apr 2023    Post subject: Can you check over my bike? Reply with quote

Of course I have all the tools so I'm the one the family usually ask. I don't mind... any vehicle you can just pick up and flip over without a lift is no problem Laughing

Today it's granddaughter's (needed some air in the tyres, seat raising) and daughter's boyfriend's bike. The technical engineering term, utterly fucked:

https://i.imgur.com/K97IuUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0DlFvXK.jpg

Bestest Halford's quality from last year. Front crankset looks to be stamped out of pure Chinesium Sad That plus new chain, rear cassette, derailer and fixing the front brake (not pictured) it hardly seems worth the bother. Oh, and needs new tyres.

"I can save the pedals!"

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:48 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

people on bikeforums call these BSO...bicycle shaped objects. I always found it a bit toff and offensive but can understand their position. It looks and seems ok when you buy it, but doesnt last.

harking back to a younger me, as an 10yo I remember my xmas present being a 12 speed Raleigh, in a box. Dad and i assembled it that day. It means I disassembled it whenever it needed some love, including taking the cones apart, setting derailleur, punctures etc. There wasnt a kid in my school who couldnt draw you a technical diagram of every part of a geared bicycle and explain how they work and interact.

now there is an entire industry set up to "service" peoples bicycles.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:07 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muck is the only thing keeping it going at this point.

Bet you could get a bog-basic groupset from a local cycle recycling charity for not much.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:12 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:

Chatting with my neighbour he said the first "driving lesson" he gave his wife was how to change a tyre, a different era Smile

Back to the bike, of course it had to be a generic MTB. And what's it used for? Commuting to work on 100% tarmac and 0% hills Rolling Eyes I supposed the lycra-clad fascists have poisoned people against buying road bikes.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:17 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

could replace the small cogs on the derailleur and tell him to pick another front/rear gear combo (looks like only some are badly ruined..mr one-gear-only) and be on his way for another 6 months while he saves up some monies to fix properly/replace bike.
. Chain wear notwithstanding.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:

I always wondered what entailed. If it doesn't involve replacing/regreasing bearings and the like, what else would you need someone else to do for you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind rebuilding it, gives me the opportunity to sort proper gear ratios and road tyres. I never get phased by bicycle repairs, it's always easy picture the end result - never gonna get in over yer head with the work.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:17 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I never get phased by bicycle repairs, it's always easy picture the end result - never gonna get in over yer head with the work.

I used to think that, then I dismantled a tiagra brifter that wasn't catching on the pawl properly.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news my 30 quid Gary Fisher Joshua X1 is still doing sterling work after 7 years and a set of brake pads on the rear.

At some point I'll actually replace the rear tyre thats been bald for about 4 years.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1