Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2000 ZX6-R in excellent condition, too mad for 1st big bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:54 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: 2000 ZX6-R in excellent condition, too mad for 1st big bike? Reply with quote

Hi folks, my wife's uncle sadly passed away recently and in his garage was his ZX6-R J1 spec which he had owned from new.
It hasn't been run since it was last MOT'd in 2017. Before that it's only miles since 2006 was my brother in law trundling it to the local garage for it's MOT as his uncle was in poor health unfortunately.
He used to use it for summer commuting from Kent to the city and a bit of touring and it's done about 30K miles, the only mods are a rear hugger and a scott oiler, and it looks to be in really nice condition but will need a bit of re-commissioning work to get it back on the road, new tyres, fluids, brakes etc but nothing too onerous.
My brother in law reckons I should take the bike on; I'm in the process of getting my A licence (need Mod 2) and it's a lovely bike which I know was meticulously cleaned and serviced (and never dropped) but my biggest reservation is that it would be my first big bike so would it be a bit too extreme for that?
Brother in law reckons it's pretty tame and easy to ride at low revs, he just says it's a matter of sensible clutch/throttle and self-control.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:30 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's too powerful for A2 but yeah back in the day people used to have them as their first bikes. They are good all rounders. You can do a trackday on a Monday and then go touring on a Tuesday.

As long as you take it very easy, and be aware that the high revs are where the power lies, you'll be OK I think. I usually recommend against a 600 as a first bike, but times have changed, and of all the 600s only the CBR600F is a more appropriate first bike I think.

Seeing as there is an emotional attachment it's better than the usual 650cc twin suspects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP your uncle.

I've got a bmw S1000RR, it's tame at low revs too. Cool

A 600 is a great 1st bike.

If you are really concerned have a local shop restrict it.

It will have enough Oomph for a couple of months.

Just take your time, avoid groups if they are all on R1s/Gixers etc.

Smooth control:
I normally ride with my thumb and forefinger round the bar with the other fingers round the throttle grip.
That's your reins. Grip the tank with your knees.

A bit like horse riding.

Have fun. Maintain some feelings for your ability to ride/drive by not riding like a knob.

Ps. I'm sure your uncle would have been happy to know the bike is used and loved. And still in the family.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:59 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 600 supersports is totally banzai but only if you tell it to. If anything, they're pretty tame up through the lower and midrange. Drop a couple of gears and pin the throttle to the redline and you've suddenly got yourself something of a handfull. Dealers choice.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:39 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I'm leaning towards taking the bike on I think.

MCN I think you are right in that respect, he would have wanted me or my brother in law to keep it going (B.I.L. has an old school '93 ZZR600 and they used to ride out together).

Will be nice to have another family bike; I currently have a 1922 race bike with the original registration plate that belonged to my grandfather (he bought it in 1930) that is running but still needs a lot more work to go back on the road.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX6R is a bike for experts and heroes. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:50 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one as my first “non A2 bike”, wouldn’t say it’s too much for your first big bikes.

The longest I’ve kept any bike, it was brilliant - still miss it. Enjoy it Very Happy
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
you will grow in to any bike with a bit of respect for the right wist

just buy what ever bike you want

That is a smooth brained response, if ever I saw one. Of course that's wrong, and a squid starting out on an S1000RR will clearly come to a very fast and a very sticky end.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1