Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A quick question for a vet...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question:

Dog and cat owners issued urgent warning over fears tap water 'slowly poisoning' pets

tl;dr hard water areas hard on pets? Thinking

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 04 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you saw the things my dog eats given half the chance i dont think youd worry about tap water.

the spoilt little thing gets filtered water at home though Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:31 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Another quick question:

Dog and cat owners issued urgent warning over fears tap water 'slowly poisoning' pets

tl;dr hard water areas hard on pets? Thinking

Fears voiced by someone who is in the business of selling water softening filters? I've looked at several versions of this article and the only source seems to be this one person.

It's not something I've ever come across. Dogs and cats eat dead animals as a general rule which have way higher levels of calcium and magnesium than you'd ever find in tap water. On most levels, dogs and cats work in exactly the same way as humans so in general if something is bad for dogs, it's also bad for humans. There are physiological differences but there are a lot more similarities.

What they seem to be on about is the formation of urinary crystals and certainly a low magnesium diet is part of controlling that. However the amount found in water is insignificant compared to dietary sources. An American pet insurance company published an article on hteir website claiming that they paid out more for urinary crystal treatment in cats in hard water areas. However, It doesn't look like they have done an actual proper statistical anlysis of this (or none I can find), nor published it in a peer reviewed journal. They seem to have given total payout figures by state, rather than a percentage of insured animals in that state which is effectively meaningless. If you did a similar thing in the UK, they'd find similar results because the highly populated areas also seem to have the hard water supplies. So as far as I'm concerned, it's hearsay

Found this article: Feline urethral plugs and bladder uroliths: A review of 5484 submissions 1998–2003
Doreen M. Houston, Andrew E.P. Moore, Michael G. Favrin, and Brent Hoff. Can Vet J. 2003 Dec; 44(12): 974–977.

Quote:
Source of water has been implicated as contributing to calcium oxalate development. The mineral content of water is expressed as parts per million, and the mineral content of food is expressed as parts per hundred, a 10 000 fold difference. Even hard water (water high in mineral content) would not contribute substantially to the amount of available dietary minerals compared with the contribution supplied by the diet. Thus, water source is unlikely to contribute to the development of calcium oxalate uroliths

I'll be happy to look over any other sources you might come across, I've already given researching it 15 more minutes than it seems to deserve from the initial article which seemed to have no basis other than the oppinion of a water filter saleswoman...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:22 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap water is very heavily regulated in the UK.
Every water company must publish independent analysis of the water they put into the system.
The system has to be maintained to a standard to ensure that water doesn't become contaminated.

The biggest concern is probably lead in tap water due to it passing through ancient pipes made of lead. But all old pipes have been replaced up to the Toby outside dwellings.
Running your cold Tap for a few seconds flushes any water out that has been standing in any lead pipes.

Bottle water doesn't have the same quality control.
Most likely cause the bottle wotah companies fill their bottles from the tap. Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:53 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Bottle water doesn't have the same quality control.

This is true. I worked in the water industry for a couple of years. People there get very worked up about the perception that bottled water is better, and the advertising budgets for bottled water compared to tap water.

Tap water is covered under an incredible amount of legislation and has huge amounts of monitoring and testing going on throughout the entire supply network - including randomly testing the water coming out of the tap in people's homes (with consent).

Bottled water sits under food regulations. It's still safe, but not as good.

If you had Evian coming out of your tap, you'd be failing water quality standards.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:23 - 05 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottled "mineral" water is some of the hardest of the hard water. What with all those minerals.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2