Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Classic magazines data breach

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:18 - 11 May 2023    Post subject: Classic magazines data breach Reply with quote

Mortons media group, also known classicmagazines.co.uk have just disclosed a data breach.

It happened back in October 2022, and included name, sort code, account number.

The notification email is pretty thin, and there doesn't seem to be much about it elsewhere yet.

I expect this will be the final nail in the coffin for the classic bike magazines. I'm also somewhat peeved that they managed to lose one of the few bits of information that I can't easily change.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 11 May 2023    Post subject: Re: Classic magazines data breach Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Mortons media group, also known classicmagazines.co.uk have just disclosed a data breach.

It happened back in October 2022, and included name, sort code, account number.

How valuable is that to anyone these days? It used to be (well still is) on every cheque you write,

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:05 - 11 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every cheque you write didn't generally have the ability to be uploaded into data dumps and make that information easily accessible to the sort of people you don't want to have it. Back then, it was the kind of information that might be acquired from a targeted attack and the security controls in place, like the direct debit guarantee, protect more against that.

The main thing this information could be used for is setting up direct debits, including for less scrupulous money transfer services (paypal without the account verification). People are covered by the direct debit guarantee, but that still means noticing the direct debit happening and contacting your bank to stop it. Some people won't notice.

The magazine industry always seems to be teetering on the edge of existence. I expect there will be enough cancelled subscriptions from this to finish them off.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 11 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how it works...

Some hacker gets a database dump. It's not particularly valuable information on its own so it gets sold for a pittance on Deep Web illicit data exchange markets. A buyer might combine several of these cheap dumps to form a meta list which again gets sold off. Basically each hacker selling on the list might try to expand it to add "value" and therefore increase the selling price.

Anyhoo, what are now fragments of the original hack will be used by phishing groups. "Hi, Mr. Jones, I'm from the bank... yes I can prove it, your sort code and account number are..." etc. and so someone who was into bikes maybe 20 years ago (and bought this classic bike magazine) now has a touch of dementia will get ripped off for all their pension money 'cos some admin was slack about security Sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 11 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
This is how it works...

Some hacker gets a database dump. It's not particularly valuable information on its own so it gets sold for a pittance on Deep Web illicit data exchange markets. A buyer might combine several of these cheap dumps to form a meta list which again gets sold off. Basically each hacker selling on the list might try to expand it to add "value" and therefore increase the selling price.

Anyhoo, what are now fragments of the original hack will be used by phishing groups. "Hi, Mr. Jones, I'm from the bank... yes I can prove it, your sort code and account number are..." etc. and so someone who was into bikes maybe 20 years ago (and bought this classic bike magazine) now has a touch of dementia will get ripped off for all their pension money 'cos some admin was slack about security Sad

Ah right, yes, poor show.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1