Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Martini Henry MkII

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: The Martini Henry MkII Reply with quote

If there's one thing about Americans they do respect armaments. Here's the aforementioned iconic rifle in all it's autistic detail:

https://youtu.be/LhDWcNQqBHo

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:57 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1886 MK4 in my bedroom.

Shot it last year with some original pre-WW1 cordite ammo that l found online, which all fired perfectly. Though the 4 rounds cost me over $40.

No factory ammo has been made for many decades and its very labor intensive to draw brass/cast lead and load your own. So now its a wall display.

https://i.ibb.co/TgXcjkJ/Tatters-MH-mk4.jpg
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 19 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/pCS-ISwMzEo

We do miss out on gun tech in UK.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:59 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
https://youtu.be/pCS-ISwMzEo

We do miss out on gun tech in UK.

I also think he's wrong. The British army used the SLR varient of the FAL as their primary weapon for years and it's not select fire.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I also think he's wrong. The British army used the SLR varient of the FAL as their primary weapon for years and it's not select fire.

That's the thing about firearms, there are too many types, styles and variations of for any one person to get it right all the time.

I always assumed that the Lewis gun was a 'British Standard'.

It was 'invented' by Isaac Newton. (Isaac Newton Lewis Very Happy ) an American Colonel.
Who took a lot of ideas from an Austrian Chap.

Lewis worked in Europe with BSA (Motorcycle Factory) to develop the Lewis gun. And all that jazz.....

That's part of my interest in Guns. The way the tech developed and the way inventors and engineers solved issues and made them what they are today.
Gas Propelled firearms would have seemed alien to WWI soldiers. But are quiet the thing nowadays.

We are now at the Railgun stage. (As opposed to Nazi (Bastirts) Railway Guns pulled by Trains)
There are plans for rifles that use 'smart' ammo too.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still using maxims on the front line in Ukraine. If you are interested in how things work, they have a pretty unique operating system which seems complex but turns out to be pretty damned reliable.

The design predates WW1 and is considered antiquated, but it turns out not redundant. I certainly wouldn't want to advance towards one.

Safety nuts hate them because you leave a live round in the feed mechanism when you unload.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Safety nuts hate them because you leave a live round in the feed mechanism when you unload.

That just makes it an exciting experience if the damn thing ever overheats.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
I have a 1886 MK4 in my bedroom.
Shot it last year with some original pre-WW1 cordite ammo that l found online, which all fired perfectly.

Wasn't there a risk of the whole lot blowing up in your face, though?

tatters wrote:

Nice pussy.
Sorry, but someone had to say it...

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Wasn't there a risk of the whole lot blowing up in your face, though?

I took some precautions on the first round, but the Martini action is very strong hence why it can handle the much higher pressures of smokeless powder, when it was originally made for lower pressure black powder.

https://i.ibb.co/gTkYsPn/tatters-mh2.jpg

I did have a accident with a Nornico copy of a M14 (M305) a few years ago. The bolt fractured in half (Chinese shitty forging). Which happened after firing a round, the following round was chambered by the fractured bolt but when the round went off the entire bolt blew out of the action and went pass my face.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_matk8zAY9t1qi26lwo1_500.gif
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 20 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They are still using maxims on the front line in Ukraine. If you are interested in how things work, they have a pretty unique operating system which seems complex but turns out to be pretty damned reliable.

The design predates WW1 and is considered antiquated, but it turns out not redundant. I certainly wouldn't want to advance towards one.

I know about that tool.

The hot round in the chamber is a thing.

For self defence it's no good having to cock the gun first before point and fire. The time to do that may be lost in those few seconds.

But apparently for the last few decades guns are designed to be drop protected.
i.e. the round won't 'go off' if the gun is dropped.

I think most guns leave a round in the chamber when the mag is removed. The slide should be actioned to eject the round.

Gunshop staff know that.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:25 - 21 Apr 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I think most guns leave a round in the chamber when the mag is removed. The slide should be actioned to eject the round.

Gunshop staff know that.

Doesn't work like that in a maxim, it gets ejected by the next round which is then where the first one was. It's not in the chamber so it can't fire.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 06:09 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to shoot a .22lr BSA converted Martini Henry years back. There were lots of them about, there were also .303 conversions but these were rarer.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For auld guns. And not so old guns.

Proof testing is handy.

https://www.gunproof.com/

I can't remember exact rules but I think shotguns are proofed before sale to enhance the desirability.

Or something.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:50 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Used to shoot a .22lr BSA converted Martini Henry years back. There were lots of them about, there were also .303 conversions but these were rarer.

Yeah, we had one at our cadets for target shooting. Heavy but it used to beat the hell out of the #8 Lee Enfield conversions in terms of accuracy.

My next cadet unit after that inexplicably had a Holland and Holland sporting .22. They desperately needed a couple more rifles for the number of people shooting but said they couldn't afford them. They also desperately needed to stop letting cadets use and abuse an H&H sporting rifle. I eventually persuaded them to take it into a proper gunsmiths to have it valued. They got 3 #8 s in its place and I suspect they were stil robbed.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:01 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Proof testing is handy.

I can't remember exact rules but I think shotguns are proofed before sale to enhance the desirability.

Or something.

All guns were proofed before sale. Even really old ones. Some old black powder guns are capable of using higher pressure nitro propellants but would usually need to be re-proofed to check this if you value your fingers.

They are more lax about such things in the US. I'm not even sure they count a single-shot black powder rifle as a firearm?

As tatters says though, the drop breech on a Martini Henry is more like an artillery piece than a rifle as we currently know them. Engineered to withstand the force of a thousand Zulus armed with pointy sticks.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Proof testing is handy.

Or something.

All guns were proofed before sale. Even really old ones. Some old black powder guns are capable of using higher pressure nitro propellants but would usually need to be re-proofed to check this if you value your fingers.

They are more lax about such things in the US. I'm not even sure they count a single-shot black powder rifle as a firearm?

As tatters says though, the drop breech on a Martini Henry is more like an artillery piece than a rifle as we currently know them. Engineered to withstand the force of a thousand Zulus armed with pointy sticks.

Wear in barrels can make a shotgun be out of proof. With risk of assploshun in one's fizog.
A new barrel or other modification can be made to allow the gun to be reproofed.

I know about the proof mark. Usually found under the fore end, stamped into the rib.

There's a Murikan on YouTube does gun videos. He had a 50 cal round assplode in the breech and throw the bolt and bits out the back door through his neck and face.

Lucky to be alive.

I think the bolt thingy failed.
50 cal is artillery Very Happy

Found it.

https://youtu.be/1449kJKxlMQ

There's (was) a really good ad for tique toque in front of this video. Rolling Eyes

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Wear in barrels can make a shotgun be out of proof. With risk of assploshun in one's fizog.

It does happen but is extremely rare with lead shot, more corrosion. Of course we are now going over to Steel shot...

MCN wrote:
There's a Murikan on YouTube does gun videos. He had a 50 cal round assplode in the breech and throw the bolt and bits out the back door through his neck and face.

Lucky to be alive.

Not quite correct. It was believed to be caused by a 'hot' tracer round that was rated far outside what the rifle was proofed at.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yeah, we had one at our cadets for target shooting. Heavy but it used to beat the hell out of the #8 Lee Enfield conversions in terms of accuracy.

The No.8s as well as the No.7 and No.9 which were different variant .22lr conversions for each service branch are now pretty rare. When they were taken out of service most were destroyed as the Government refused to sell them as surplus to the citizenry of the UK.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 17:28 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
MCN wrote:

It does happen but is extremely rare with lead shot, more corrosion. Of course we are now going over to Steel shot...

MCN wrote:

Lucky to be alive.

Not quite correct. It was believed to be caused by a 'hot' tracer round that was rated far outside what the rifle was proofed at.

There is also the problem with center fire shotguns made in late 1800s with Damascus steel barrels. These will chamber a modern 12 gauge shell but are only rated for black powder and will blow up.

SAAMI (US) CIP (Euro) has pressure specs for every cartridge that firearms and ammo manufactures use. That round was originally loaded by the factory to meet SAAMI (or equivalent).

The problem with surplus ammo is storage conditions over the many decades of storage. Temperature and humidity can affect the propellant and primers causing rounds to either decrease or increase pressure/hang fires etc.

I remember reading about the above incident after seeing that video and the consensus on other forums was that it was surplus 50BMG that was most likely stored poorly for many years.

I have some 1930s German (Nazi headcase stamped) 8mm Mauser its a very hot round and is awful to shoot from my K98/M48. And would certainly damage a semi-auto K43.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns (more modern) are over engineered to cater for excess forces.
Like lifting equipment.

The thing that is a quandary are the bumblefuks who self-load their ammo.
The quality control is real I'll wager.
And how much Moonshine does it take to refill 500 rounds of .45 using yer own cast bullets? Laughing

YeeHaw.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
MCN wrote:

MCN wrote:

Lucky to be alive.

Not quite correct either.
It was an armour penetrative round in the rifle when it exploded.
Not a tracer round. He was swapping between two.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:28 - 14 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kentucky Ballistics accident was caused by a fake sabot launched armour piercing (SLAP) round. They cost about $100 each so there's a real black market for them.

That one had been loaded with handgun propellant instead of rifle propellant which burns faster and reaches a higher pressure. They reckon it generated a pressure spike somewhere in order of 10x what the rifle was designed for. It's a wonder it "only" blew the breach cap off, says a lot for the barrel and breach manufacture.

The Americans did something similar in the vietnam war. Operation Eldest Son involved them covertly seeding small numbers of massively over-pressure rounds into the North Vietnamese army ammunition supply. If you got one, your gun would blow up in your face. Probably at a minimum taking some fingers with it.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1