Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Adding Switched USB Port

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:06 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Adding Switched USB Port Reply with quote

Hi all

What is the best and simplest way to add the USB port to my bike (2015 Street Triple R) as I am going to IOM in a couple of weeks and will need a good source of power for SatNav on my phone.

I have an Ultimate addons USB socket but I don't want to wire it directly to my battery (mainly as it has a blue LED that is always on and i don't want it to drain the battery).

I am not the most handy person so I need a simple fix, I don't want to be having to splice into wires for example as I will mess it up.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:17 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your headlight on all the time? Take a feed from there.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:28 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Electric-Charger-Switch-Adapter-Black/dp/B07G1682CT/ref=asc_df_B07G1682CT/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311081482938&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10675132327548295690&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006501&hvtargid=pla-566261876824&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:07 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplest? Get one with an actual on/off switch, wire it to the battery and turn it off when you're finished with it.

EDIT: As linked to above.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:16 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents

seems the simplest option, as i had a UA one already i was hoping not to have to buy another one.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently fitted an Optimate USB charger to my Striple

Costs little more than the above, but is a fit and forget solution, as the "gubbins" inside it detect when the bike is running and turn the thing off when the engine is not running

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o108-usb-charger

EDIT: i have an optimate charger too, so works well with the above, as they both use the same plug, so i disconnect the USB and plug into my charger over the winter months

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:01 - 15 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted mine with an on/off switch through a relay under the seat.

Tapped into rear light + feed, works perfectly.

Super easy, just don't use a cheap nasty scotch lock or similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:33 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:34 - 17 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I just recently fitted an Optimate USB charger to my Striple

Costs little more than the above, but is a fit and forget solution, as the "gubbins" inside it detect when the bike is running and turn the thing off when the engine is not running

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products/o108-usb-charger

EDIT: i have an optimate charger too, so works well with the above, as they both use the same plug, so i disconnect the USB and plug into my charger over the winter months

Didn't realise they did those. I already have an optimate port connected to my bike as well. Thanks
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1