Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Northern Irish Politics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Northern Irish Politics Reply with quote

So it looks like Sinn Féin are the big winners in the NI council elections but who are they outside of the political arm of a terrorist organisation, where are they these days on the political compass?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

65% of mainland Britons will be pleased or don't give a fuck if NI leave the UK:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/04/22/brits-increasingly-dont-care-whether-northern-irel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
65% of mainland Britons will be pleased or don't give a fuck if NI leave the UK:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/04/22/brits-increasingly-dont-care-whether-northern-irel

Well done, Val, as irrelevant as ever Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's irrelevant, there is effectively no NI government anyway because their parliament is too petty and childish to actually go and sit in the same room and formulate some policies.

On a local council level, Sinn fein will be responsible for tasks like assigning bin lorry routes, fixing potholes and deciding if them two doors down are allowed a dropped kerb into their driveway so their political compass doesn't really matter.

Their main thing is they want a unified island of Ireland. My impression is they are pretty right-wing and authoritarian in many ways, if their other past activities like punishment beatings and kneecapping of drug dealers is anything to go by.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why but I always got the impression that Northern Irish ppl were a bit more right wing than their southern cousins.

Local Councils should be a bit more "can this party get shit done" than the national party versions. What does their resounding success say? That they're simply competent and ppl are seeing past the national politics or something more crass to voice like Catholics outbreeding Protestants Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sinn Fein win does that mean they actually have an overall numbers advantage. ie call for a vote on joining Eire? Or can't they do that.

I'd quite happily sign NI off the the southern bog trottors but the problem is, despite all the rhetoric, they don't want the North because they would then be liable to get all the sh1t from the proddys that we had from the republicans.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:46 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What does their resounding success say? That they're simply competent and ppl are seeing past the national politics or something more crass to voice like Catholics outbreeding Protestants Thinking

I'd go with the crass option. Think of the most sectarian and xenophobic reason you can. Wind that dial up to 11 and you'll be about there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:00 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If Sinn Fein win does that mean they actually have an overall numbers advantage. ie call for a vote on joining Eire? Or can't they do that.

Both the people of Eire and the people of NI would have to pass independant border polls for reunification to happen. It's actually in the Irish constitution that they have to work towards it.

In NI, a border poll is up to the NI secretary in Westminster. It's hard to see that they would even consider holding one unless it was requested by the NI assembly and the NI assembly can't ask for one because they are refusing to meet. If they do have one, they can't have another for 7 years.

If the NI assembly did request a border poll, I would be very surprised if one wasn't held, the shitstorm if it wasn't doesn't bear thinking about. The government in Eire have been carefully avoiding the subject for decades, it would be interesting to see their reaction if there was a successful reunification poll in NI. It would pretty much force their hand and the Eire electorate can be surprising, like with the gay marriage thing. I've love to see the face on Gerry Adams if NI voted for reunification and Eire didn't.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

This was for council elections so not directly. Indirectly it adds more legitimacy to the party.

stinkwheel wrote:
Think of the most sectarian and xenophobic reason you can. Wind that dial up to 11 and you'll be about there.

This is N.I. we're talking about so I take your point. I occasionally watch iPlayer for some of the N.I. content and as a people they seem rather... abrupt Smile

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see me but you can't hear me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1