Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

is it ok to use slightly different oil grade (10w40, 10w50)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:35 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: is it ok to use slightly different oil grade (10w40, 10w50) Reply with quote

Hello people, it's my first oil change with my BMW G310R, the manual specifies 10W50 but 10W40 is much easier to find. Am I correct that the difference between those viscosities isn't huge, especially for a relatively low power budget bike like mine?

Thanks, C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:40 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

10w50 isn't that difficult to find. If thats what the manufacturer recommends, get it.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:57 - 20 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unusual to require 10W50 in a liquid cooled engine, it's the sort of grade you may expect to need in something air cooled that operates over a wider temperature range.

I would assume there's a good reason why it asks for 10W50, and 10W40 would be too thin in very hot conditions, leading to low oil pressure in heavy traffic in summer.

Get the right stuff.

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:58 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I meant 15W50, had a bit of trouble finding local stock but found something in next town over...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:19 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 'looking after' a Detriot Diesel for a few months a couple of years ago. The khunts were running it with the 'usual 15w40 Diesel engine oil we used in all our other Diesels.
The Detriot was wolfing through engine oil and the exhausts were dripping oil out of every joint.
I was told, 'Yeah, it's been doing this for years.'.

The issue with Detriot Diesel is they are only supposed to run on Mono Grade engine oils. For our engine that was 30w.
The oil consumption and raining oil was solved just by draining and filling with 30w oil.

The numbers on the oil indicate what temperature range the oil will maintain its lubricating properties. But also affects how easy/difficult it will be to start in cold temperatures.
The thicker oil puts more load on the starter system.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it..

Perhaps if I was touring a hot country I might try harder to get 15/50. On the other hand it's probably the standard choice in a hot country and more available..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

15/50 isn't difficult to get.
Unless you are located in a region where stuff is difficult to get.

Ebay amazon are all the usual khunts have it available.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an oil cooled BMW which is supposed to use 10w/50. I just put any good oil in it. I've used 0w/30 fully synth long life oil for vw diesels (coz I get it free from work) and I've used 15/30, 15/40 semi-synth and get very high mileages on my bike.

Just change it often.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:07 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW usually have a chart in the owners manual showing different oil viscosities for use in different air temperature ranges.

If you are in the UK, it boils down to both 15w-50 and 10w-40 will cover any range of temperatures you could reasonably expect to encounter. Not like in continental Europe where they will be seeing minus double figures for weeks at a time over the winter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the principle 'some oil is better than no oil. I've put some real shite in my cars and bikes over the years. It certainly wouldn't worry me in the slightest using 10/40 in place of 10/50.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 23 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often use 10w40 semi (MA) oil for actual oil change on my bike, but top up with much cheaper 20w50 standard mineral. I do the oil change just before the winter, so I make the most of the smoother gear changes whilst I can- and by the time summer comes around, about half a gallon of oil has burnt up in total and it's all pretty much 20w50 by that point anyway through topping up so it doesn't effect the smoothness of the bike by the time the sun has come out. Not that any of this matters realistically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1