Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Warranty help please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Warranty help please Reply with quote

Hi guys . Bought an SL falco a month ago . Now I know it's a 22 year old bike so I was always expecting it needing stuff doing for it especially for the price I paid . The place I got it from said it came with 3 months 3rd party warranty.

Broke down on my 3rd ride out . Got recovered home . Found out it's the fuel pipe on the pump inside the tank . I've actually bought the part to fix it but thought I'd give the dealer/garage a chance with the warranty.

Rung them up and they've said it's a "return to base warranty" obviously I can't get it to them it doesn't fucking start .

Should I be chasing them ? Shall I just fuck it off as I didn't actually know it had any warranty and just fix it myself ?

A few mates have said I shouldn't touch it incase anything else happens ?? Never had warranty before on anything so I'm pretty clueless to be honest

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:57 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... Ask them to collect and repair it? Is it really that complex? If they say no, then kick up a stink about it being an 'RTB' warranty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to put that in . They said they don't pick bikes up and he'd have a word with his boss . That's was Wednesday. Not heard anything since

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy wrote:
Forgot to put that in . They said they don't pick bikes up and he'd have a word with his boss . That's was Wednesday. Not heard anything since

Sale of Goods Act. They need to fix it. I would ask nicely by phone first, then a second phone call saying if they refuse to fix it then you'll fix it and take them to court for reimbursement plus court fees plus damages plus interest so just do the right thing and fix it.

However, having the experience of taking six claims to civil court, they will never do this. They will refuse, give you the "aye ok mate" patter, then you will put a claim in, then they either won't defend it because they didn't take it seriously or they will try to defend it and lose then do the surprised Pikachu face and act like they are innocent and just been robbed.

All when they could have just done the right thing first time and saved everyone the bother.

I've taken a shop in Glasgow to court using the simple procedure and came out of it about a year later with my pocket £1,100ish heavier when the shop literally only had to give me a refund and an apology at the time of the incident. They never do. They always choose the hard route.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I've taken a shop in Glasgow to court using the simple procedure and came out of it about a year later with my pocket £1,100ish heavier when the shop literally only had to give me a refund and an apology at the time of the incident. They never do. They always choose the hard route.

I guess they are playing the percentages. They ignore ten genuine complaints with a value of £200 each and only one goes the whole hog, takes them to court and gets a grand out of them - they've saved themselves a grand.

OK, so they've also got 10 customers who will never come back, plus all their mates .... but meh. They see they're a grand up. Result.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:07 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Sale of Goods Act. They need to fix it. I would ask nicely by phone first, then a second phone call saying if they refuse to fix it then you'll fix it and take them to court for reimbursement plus court fees plus damages plus interest so just do the right thing and fix it.

I think you're meaning the Consumer Rights Act 2015 rather than the Sale of Goods Act.

I think you're meaning Money Claim Online rather than court.

I think you're meaning to do things in writing rather than by phone.

I think you're meaning to send a letter before action rather making a second phone call to threaten them.

It's a 22 year old bike and by the OP's own admission they were expecting it to need stuff doing to it so it might be tricky to argue that the bike is not of satisfactory quality.

The warranty is completely separate to your statutory consumer rights so if the warranty is return to base then so be it. Seeing as the OP has bought the part to fix it, they might as well use that to fix it and then see if the garage will give them a replacement part under the warranty.
dransy wrote:
A few mates have said I shouldn't touch it incase anything else happens ?

Are you planing on doing general servicing and repairs yourself?

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I am Ste like I say it's a 22 year old bike all they did was stick a fresh MOT on it . It needs tidying up abit . Chain and sprockets need replacing and tyres are ok but a bit old now just general tidying up to be honest

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some company's SOP is to ignore claims if they think it won't go the distance.
I depends on how far one want to go.
Voting with one's feet can be less stressful and cheaper.
Unless substantial sums of money are involved.
For £100 quid, I would pick a big straw and start sucking.
One can also Name an' Shame.
Vindictive side satiated.

I plan to replace my car in a month or so.
My car is 15yrs old and is fine. Runs like a dream.
But Mrs would like to be seen in a newer car.
I want to trade the hoowur in to avoid the tyre kicking whankers a private sale creates.
I'm sure a lot of air will be sucked in by the person I trade it in to. And they will hammer the value down. As if I don't know what it is worth to them.
I'll not haggle. That will show them. Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

But Mrs would like to be seen in a newer car.
I want to trade the hoowur in

I think a lot of us think like that from time to time , but you have to ask if it's worth losing the house over and upsetting the kids.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:36 - 26 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TL has same fault. Worth just grabbing a pump gasket and DIY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1