BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Import duty post brexit.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 19 Apr 2021    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Boots I ordered from fc moto for £102 plus postage (£7) arrived and there was no extra to pay. Still £35 cheaper than uk' s cheapest shop.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 28 days between these two posts...

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it might be as well to update this thread, rather than start a new one.

Been wanting a retro style full face for a while and finally settled on an offering from Nexx - sportsbikeshop had the colour I wanted on offer, but it turned out that was because it was a discontinued design and they didn't have my size, nor did any other UK seller.

Ended up ordering from a company called Helmexpress in Austria, who could sell me what I wanted for pretty much the same price as SBS.

Ordered last Tuesday (11th May) at around 8.15 am and with typically Teutonic efficiency, I was able to track my order every step of the way, from despatch, through to arriving at the airport and clearing customs, to arrival in the UK, which it did the following lunchtime - then, nothing, just sat on the tracking site saying no delivery details available.

Next thing was I receive a letter from Parcel Farce yesterday (17th May) telling me my parcel would not be delivered until I paid them £61, of which £12 was their admin fee, £4.39 was customs duty and £44.74 was VAT, taking the cost of my lid to within 20 quid of the normal retail price of the latest version.

I don't mind the admin fee and import duty, that's the price of admission to the new import shit show, but VAT on an item that would normally be exempt seems a bit of a con.

Anyway, you have been warned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:57 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Been wanting a retro style full face for a while and finally settled on an offering from Nexx - sportsbikeshop had the colour I wanted on offer, but it turned out that was because it was a discontinued design and they didn't have my size, nor did any other UK seller.

Ended up ordering from a company called Helmexpress in Austria, who could sell me what I wanted for pretty much the same price as SBS.

Ordered last Tuesday (11th May) at around 8.15 am and with typically Teutonic efficiency, I was able to track my order every step of the way, from despatch, through to arriving at the airport and clearing customs, to arrival in the UK, which it did the following lunchtime - then, nothing, just sat on the tracking site saying no delivery details available.

Next thing was I receive a letter from Parcel Farce yesterday (17th May) telling me my parcel would not be delivered until I paid them £61, of which £12 was their admin fee, £4.39 was customs duty and £44.74 was VAT, taking the cost of my lid to within 20 quid of the normal retail price of the latest version.

I don't mind the admin fee and import duty, that's the price of admission to the new import shit show, but VAT on an item that would normally be exempt seems a bit of a con.

Well nothing to do with breksit. But all courier's seem to be taking the p1sh more these days of our continental isolation, than in days of yore.

I used mail order in Feb Mar for most purchases. One was delivered to my house that was supposed to be left at argos for me to collect when home. It was left with a neighbour who wasn't home when I got home.
Another delivery was tracked to somewhere in the couriers system, customer service promised to expedite the delivery when they'd found to item. Contact with them ceased. I got a refund from the ebay seller.
I got a text from the courier three weeks later to say my item would be delivered. Then a text from my neighbour to say they had taken my parcel in. I'm not at home until end of May.
None of it was breksit.
But I'm certain breksit has influenced something upstream.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:58 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. As of January, the EU is imminently going to start charging itself a 10% import tarrif on electric cars made in the EU if they can't start making their own batteries.

@ shaft,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-customs-dutyimport-vat-relating-to-imports-by-post-bor286

You should send it because if the revenue start getting loads of them, they'll start becoming pissed off and do something about it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:50 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an extra wide bike ramp from FC Moto last year and there was no extra charges, again a BIG saving over best
UK price and a 20%extra discount because it was Black Friday. Would definitely use again.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

VAT is wrong and can be claimed back, if ou already paid it. according to the guy 'Julian' on this thread..

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/helmets-vat-uk-import-tax/

or you may be able to 'advise' Parcel Force that their import VAT charges is incorrect in you've not already paid it' As for the duty - what is that for ? should be zero.

Finally with no VAT or Duty to pay (in theory) the admin should also be removed. It was their mistake and they should pay.

MY view FWIW..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

On your invoice from Helmexpress were you charged VAT or was it zero-rated? If there was VAT levied there, contact them and ask for a refund of the VAT as it was an export.

Now onto parcel farce, you can claim back the VAT you paid as motorcycle helmets are zero-rated pursuant to Protective Equipment (VAT Notice 701/23). It will take months for them to process it, but you will get the £44.74 back.

The import duty, you are fucked on.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article here also explains..

https://www.bikestop.co.uk/blog/buying-motorcycle-gear-from-europe

And I guess your £4.39 duty charge is the 2% mentioned for manufactured outside EU, but that begs the question of why we were never charged that pre-Brexit and, if it was absorbed by the importer/seller, why Helmexpress passed on that charge in this case. Confused

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a replacement tank from GermanLand in 2022

mpo-motorparts-online / motorparts-online.com

Paid £169.21 on Ebay via Paypal
Customs charged me £44.39

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 19 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Bought a replacement tank from GermanLand in 2022

mpo-motorparts-online / motorparts-online.com

Paid £169.21 on Ebay via Paypal
Customs charged me £44.39

6% import duty = £10.15,
20% VAT on cost plus ID = £35.87.

Seems about right amount to pay. Got off good if that £44.39 also included their dog shit fees.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought everyone on BCF supported Brexit? Laughing There were enough abusive threads on it. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:39 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I thought everyone on BCF supported Brexit? Laughing There were enough abusive threads on it. Thumbs Up

https://s3.memeshappen.com/memes/The-truth-always-hurts--meme-62616.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:46 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you, this isn't anything to do with Brexit, it's Parcel Force being incompetant by levying VAT on something that is VAT free. Parcel Force being incompetant predates brexit by decades.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mind you, this isn't anything to do with Brexit, it's Parcel Force being incompetant by levying VAT on something that is VAT free. Parcel Force being incompetant predates brexit by decades.

Not totally true as you well know, Parcelforce didnt even vote.

Last edited by sickpup on 12:39 - 28 May 2023; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders why peopple expect a delivery company to be an expert on tax on items that they are only delivering. The issue has only arisen since Brexit for items from the EU.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:24 - 27 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
One wonders why peopple expect a delivery company to be an expert on tax on items that they are only delivering. The issue has only arisen since Brexit for items from the EU.

But they have been doing it for years for items from outside the EU, it's not an unfamiliar thing to them. I buy quite a few parts from India and it's all been pretty straightforwards.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2